Author Topic: Are we overrating James Young a bit?  (Read 12156 times)

Re: Are we overrating James Young a bit?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think there is a lot of over rating going on here from draft picks to our assets.

Young is a project, I hope we move some other pieces and he gets PT.
What people don't realize is that under an absolute best scenario, this project will probably develop into someone like Jeff Green, broadly speaking. More likely he will be an even lesser player. I hope someone falls in love with him as an add-in in a deal for a more critical piece.
interesting comparison and i can see where you are coming from on this. only major addition i would make is that young may be able to avoid green's inability to play aggressively each game (quarter?)

hopefully young brings similar scoring, at least the same rebounding and passing, but does so each and every game. if green did this, he would have been an excellent player.
It's not necessarily because of similarities in play style or skills, but more trying to angle for the level of contribution. Players that project to be stars are able to step in and contribute in their rookie seasons, even at a very young age. Young certainly has skills and may or may not turn into a solid NBA player -- but frankly, that doesn't get me particularly excited. I don't think identifying future solid players and spending years developing them is the key to getting this team back on track.
again, i agree on your points. but that is the key here isn't it? will young pan out to be very good/special or not? he is a bit of a lottery ticket, but the odds may not be that low.

he was picked with the 17th pick, so that should temper our expectations. if he turns out to be "solid" then so be it. you gamble at 17 and hope for the best. and at 17 "solid" is not a disaster.

but, if young does keep his excellent shooting and if he does development other skills in line with his physical abilities, (yes, a double "if") then he may turn out to be a very good player. if that is the outcome, then danny has done well.

but, as everyone seems to agree, we won't know for a while on young.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not to mention, even if a young player is not a good enough piece to be a key in a deal for a star player, the fact that they are providing at least good or league average production without weighing heavily on your cap is important.
No-one deals a star because they can get "average, young, and cheap players". Also, he'll eventually need to be resigned, bringing his pay up to par with the rest of the league.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
He needed another year at school,  he might have been a top five this year if  he developed a little more in a weak draft this year. He was the second youngest kid in the draft last year, so patience is going to be needed, but Celtics fans seem to lack that.

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He needed another year at school,  he might have been a top five this year if  he developed a little more in a weak draft this year. He was the second youngest kid in the draft last year, so patience is going to be needed, but Celtics fans seem to lack that.
This is not about patience, it's about expectation. Waiting 5 years to develop the next Ricky Davis type is a phenomenal waste of time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:46 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
He's gonna be everything JR Giddens wasn't. :)
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Isn't too early to tell for him? I mean, we haven't seen a ton of James Young to actually decide if we are overrating him or not.

I guess it's a matter of different people's expectations on him. I guess if someone expects too much on him and Young haven't reached that, then they will call him overrated. But IMO, we haven't seen a ton to be able to fully say he's underrated or overrated. I'd give him time.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
On this blog ?

Never!

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
This is not about patience, it's about expectation. Waiting 5 years to develop the next Ricky Davis type is a phenomenal waste of time.
whom are you arguing with koz? no one here advocates this position. the debate is not "should we waste time waiting for a loser or someone like ricky davis?" you are creating a strawfigure here.

the debate is about young and his potential being realized. if he is a good player, even a solid player, picked at 17 and cost effective the celtics win. if not, they move him or move on.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Giddens was 29th pick in the first round.  He performed as well most others selected at that spot.  Don't understand why so many of us expected him to be a star. 

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

So he's barely played in a handful of games and you're already convinced that we should move him because it's clear that he's only going to be Ricky Davis? ::)

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Are people overrating him if they deem him untouchable in any trade talks?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Giddens was 29th pick in the first round.  He performed as well most others selected at that spot. Don't understand why so many of us expected him to be a star.

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Length + shooting is a really good combo, and Young has it. Otherwise, his game still has a lot of holes, particularly his D. With an average progression, I think he'll be a sparkplug-type bench player, but due to his youth, he still has upside to be an above-average starter at the weakest position (SG) in the NBA.

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

So he's barely played in a handful of games and you're already convinced that we should move him because it's clear that he's only going to be Ricky Davis? ::)
Do you think teams should spend time, effort, and years of salary developing role players? If you don't understand why this is a waste of time, I'm afraid I can't explain it any better.

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Do you think teams should spend time, effort, and years of salary developing role players? If you don't understand why this is a waste of time, I'm afraid I can't explain it any better.
koz, one more time, this is not what people are arguing. unless GMs have a magical crystal ball that accurately predicts the future of each and every player drafted in the nba, then they are doing similar to what we do here - we guess at the future of players.

based upon those guesses GMs invest time to develop players. no GM tosses aside a cost controlled player because they wont be HOF or an all star. GMs will invest time to find out how good a player can be. and sometimes a player can be a good role player and still be worth it since they are cost controlled. otherwise, after the rookie contract they let the player go.

at least please argue with the points advanced by people, not straw figures.
- Vandana Shiva