Author Topic: Are we overrating James Young a bit?  (Read 12131 times)

Re: Are we overrating James Young a bit?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 10:37:49 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Young could go either way of being an elite scorer, or a Marshon Brooks type of player. His attitude of wanting to take the big shot sets him apart from a lot of other players, but he'll need to put in the work to actually make that happen. He was the best player many times during the tourney last year. That's what gets me excited about him, that he stepped up even at a young age to help his team.

He's had a rough first year with the  car accident during the summer, hamstring during preseason, shoulder injury and now the flu. Kid needs to catch a good 2 month good health stint. He looks lost on D at times, but he's not horrible. He gets beat by his man because he gets out muscled. that will change in a couple years even if he doesn't add too much weight, just natural strength will come into play.   

AB would be a great guard if he could pass and dribble. He worked on his ball handling all summer and it's not any better. How many times in the last three games has he lost the handle for a turnover, or near turnover? Cant have that when you compete in the playoffs. One thing Young did last night was he dribbled to the baseline and picked the ball up, when he got doubled teamed he found the open guy, because he could see over the top of them. AB would have turned it over most likely in that situation. I like AB, I root for the kid, but he's just not a starter.

I'm not saying Young is, or will be this season. But I hope he works on his game double time, even if he gets to be an average defender that's fine. I think the offense will come once the game slows down for them. I remember being that young and the game, even playing in men's leagues with guys 5 to 10 years older, some times I got ahead of my self. With in a couple of years, I could think threw the game more because it slowed down. I could only imagine how much faster it is in the NBA, even from an elite college program.

But you see him in the D league and he has every shot. I would be worried if he was 21 and it was too fast, but he's 19. Look at Smart, even it's fast for him in some aspects of the game, but him being a year older and playing one more year of college has made the transition a bit smoother. So if Young could get healthy for the rest of the season, and have a good summer, we could see a huge jump.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I wish he would focus more on shorter range shots just to get comfortable hitting a few. Seems he takes a lot of 3's.  This naturally brings down his shooting percentage. 

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes.  The skill set seems to be there, but the consistency and BBIQ haven't caught up yet; to use another cliche, the game hasn't "slowed down" for him yet.  When I see him labeled an "elite" shooter, passively compared to Ray Allen, I cringe.

But, he's definitely high upside, and I think some excitement is warranted.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
he's 19 years old and has next to no nba experience. why so eager to pass a defining and enduring judgement on young?

we.
dont.
know.

simple. it is currently impossible to really tell how young will turn out. we can see potential. we can see potential problems. we dont know which potential will be reached.

no need to rush to judgement, we will eventually see.

Very nicely said.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
To OP,
Perhaps

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I have to say, I don't hate AB and think he is a decent perimiter scorer and above average defender but he has two HUGE knocks on his game:

A. His size, not just height. He is short, light and get bumped by bigger guys. Some players have been known to play around that (AI comes to mind as the toughest 160 lbs guy to ever play) but AB does not. He will always have trouble with big guards. He will NEVER be effective in the paint and he will always be one of the worst rebounding SG in the league.

B. His passing. Man its just painful to watch. Every time he passes the ball I hold my breath. We are talking bungled fast breaks and lateral passes that are begging to be intercepted.

I don't know if there is any way a guy can be a starting SG on a good team with bad rebounding, passing and severe handicapping against big players for his position...
C. His driving layups. It's even more painful than even his passing; he will invariably get stuffed either by an opposing player, or by the rim. While it's a credit to him that he stopped trying to make that work, it's a fairly sizable gap in his game not to be able to be a threat to finish around the rim.

Agree. I am not saying lets tank - I enjoy every win and hope we make the playoffs. BUT.... We need to do it while developing players who can theoretically be a part of a contender. AB is not. Young may turn out to be a bust - but it is worth the risk and a few losses...

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We overrate lots of players like him. He has good tools and whatnot but for now he's just another top high school player that went to Kentucky and had a good year and has shown nothing.

It's encouraging he did well in the NBDL.  Gotta wait. We need to lower our expectations.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
he's 19 years old and has next to no nba experience. why so eager to pass a defining and enduring judgement on young?

we.
dont.
know.

simple. it is currently impossible to really tell how young will turn out. we can see potential. we can see potential problems. we dont know which potential will be reached.

no need to rush to judgement, we will eventually see.

Very nicely said.

Yeah.  And plus we forget how long long is sometimes.  We say we need to wait and see and then a few weeks from now we dive back into prognosticating.  Picture what you were doing 3 years ago.  Then picture how distant that seems.  Well when that amount of time passes again Young will be 22, which is like 2 years at least before Chauncey Billups became an acceptable player.  And I guess after a post like this I should remind people to breath. :D

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think there is a lot of over rating going on here from draft picks to our assets.

Young is a project, I hope we move some other pieces and he gets PT.
What people don't realize is that under an absolute best scenario, this project will probably develop into someone like Jeff Green, broadly speaking. More likely he will be an even lesser player. I hope someone falls in love with him as an add-in in a deal for a more critical piece.

Considering Young was a #17 pick, developing into a Jeff Green or slightly less Jeff Green production wise (we know they are not the same type of player) wouldn't be so bad. Jeff Green didn't live up to being the #5 pick, but he is 10th in his draft class in career win shares so it's not like he was a total bust.

If 8 years down the road, James Young is 10th in his draft class in career win shares, I would think he represented excellent value for his draft status.

Right now, I'm seeing a kid that can shoot the ball but needs a lot of work in a lot of areas. His floor is probably Marcus Thornton just based on his shooting ability and that is not horrible for a non-lottery pick as long as someone doesn't lose their mind and overpay him as Thornton was.. Not sure what his ceiling is. I wouldn't expect an all-star but he is so young and raw at this point that I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 02:24:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think there is a lot of over rating going on here from draft picks to our assets.

What people don't realize is that under an absolute best scenario, this project will probably develop into someone like Jeff Green, broadly speaking. More likely he will be an even lesser player. I hope someone falls in love with him as an add-in in a deal for a more critical piece.
interesting comparison and i can see where you are coming from on this. only major addition i would make is that young may be able to avoid green's inability to play aggressively each game (quarter?)

hopefully young brings similar scoring, at least the same rebounding and passing, but does so each and every game. if green did this, he would have been an excellent player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Maybe Young could become a rich man's Dana Barros?  I dunno if you remember him, but when he played for the Celtics I remember thinking he was a real good player to have.  Sparkplug off the bench who could drain shots, and important shots too.  So if all we get is one of the best 6th men with James Young, that's still pretty good.

It's far too early to say what his ceiling is, if he turns into a starting caliber 2 or 3, I'd be very happy and pleasantly surprised.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 02:37:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

interesting comparison and i can see where you are coming from on this. only major addition i would make is that young may be able to avoid green's inability to play aggressively each game (quarter?)

hopefully young brings similar scoring, at least the same rebounding and passing, but does so each and every game. if green did this, he would have been an excellent player.
It's not necessarily because of similarities in play style or skills, but more trying to angle for the level of contribution. Players that project to be stars are able to step in and contribute in their rookie seasons, even at a very young age. Young certainly has skills and may or may not turn into a solid NBA player -- but frankly, that doesn't get me particularly excited. I don't think identifying future solid players and spending years developing them is the key to getting this team back on track.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well, from a team construction standpoint, I feel it is rather important that we develop solid players out of our late 1st and early 2nd round picks.  This is because they become tradeable, wanted assets.

There are a lot of overpaid players in the NBA and the market is not very good for overpaid players.  The market for young players who are fairly good who outperform their contracts/salary is a lot better.

Not to mention, even if a young player is not a good enough piece to be a key in a deal for a star player, the fact that they are providing at least good or league average production without weighing heavily on your cap is important.

Why?  Because star players take up an inordinate amount of cap space.  If the salary cap were 80m, you'd expect 3 stars to cost 60m of that cap.  So to have a decent chance to win even once you had stars, you would need/want average to good performance from the other 9 players on the roster who are only making 20m on your cap space.

Yes, I know your main point is that we need star players, and currently don't have any, yet.  But I believe we still need average-good players out of the draft choices that we have made, and we need to develop those players along as well to have a good shot to compete in the future.

It's not necessarily because of similarities in play style or skills, but more trying to angle for the level of contribution. Players that project to be stars are able to step in and contribute in their rookie seasons, even at a very young age. Young certainly has skills and may or may not turn into a solid NBA player -- but frankly, that doesn't get me particularly excited. I don't think identifying future solid players and spending years developing them is the key to getting this team back on track.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Young is 19 as everyone has pointed out.  At this point, he probably is most similar to Gerald Green but who knows what trajectory his career will take.  I think he has shown enough to be considered a very valuable prospect.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Considering Young was a #17 pick, developing into a Jeff Green or slightly less Jeff Green production wise (we know they are not the same type of player) wouldn't be so bad. Jeff Green didn't live up to being the #5 pick, but he is 10th in his draft class in career win shares so it's not like he was a total bust.

If 8 years down the road, James Young is 10th in his draft class in career win shares, I would think he represented excellent value for his draft status.

Right now, I'm seeing a kid that can shoot the ball but needs a lot of work in a lot of areas. His floor is probably Marcus Thornton just based on his shooting ability and that is not horrible for a non-lottery pick as long as someone doesn't lose their mind and overpay him as Thornton was.. Not sure what his ceiling is. I wouldn't expect an all-star but he is so young and raw at this point that I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

I think he'll easily outpace Jeff Green as a scorer.  I'm guessing it will be a case of developing all the non-scoring attributes to achieve well roundedness that will be the climb for young...Green already had a well-rounded game when he arrived in the league.