Author Topic: What is Smart's ppg ceiling?  (Read 7761 times)

What is Smart's ppg ceiling?
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Should we be putting ceilings on him yet?  He seems to be more just fitting in right now and trying to but is going to become more aggressive over time.  He already is.  Do you see him as a guy who can really instigate and set the tone with his offense though?  I think he can  but from a ppg perspective i'm not sure I see him as a high ceiling guy.  He may continue to play off other people although I do think its important for him to be a tone setter and solid that way.

Gone are the days where we draft a guy and expect him to be  putting up 20 plus points though until we draft someone like that.  I thnk smart can score though. Just not seeing much of it yet.

I'm not sure i'd call this last draft overrated so far.  I knew DAwas right in that regard anyways.  It takes rookies time but considering the amount of hype it definitely was.

Smart more strikes me as a guy who can set the tone with his defense and play off other guys offensively.  With other star scorers.  And put in his  points as wella nd set the tone that way.   He can actually score unlike rondo.  But he's more a traditional pg like Dennis Johnson.

Dennis Johnson was more a scorer earlier in his career. But smart could do that and put up 18 points on a bad team if he really wanted to.

He's not going to be Russell Westbrook inflate your stats by playing at a super pace on steroids stu ff.  He's more going to be a traditional player and how basketball is supposed to be played.

What I like about Marcus is he is playing very unselfish and just doing what is asked of him.  He needs to push himself more and hit those  daggers, b(ut doing pretty well out there. Bradley is kind of coming into his own establishing himself there.    Smart doesn't look rattled at all for a rookie or Joe Johnson like.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:20:24 AM by piercetruth34 »

Re: What is Smart's ppg ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think Marcus will be at best a 15 ppg guy. I expect him to hit his stride in his junior season and be a consistent 15pt 6ast 5rb with all nba defense.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:21:57 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I'm really excited about Marcus because as far as a pg goes he seems like the perfect guy for team play where he can do a lot of things himself and  isn't going to hog the spotlight either where we can have a really good team.

With all these draft picks there's no question in my mind with marcus at pg we should be the best team around soon enough.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:29:28 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I think Marcus will be at best a 15 ppg guy. I expect him to hit his stride in his junior season and be a consistent 15pt 6ast 5rb with all nba defense.

I think this is about right.   I also expect him to be one of the most consistant players around with his efficiency.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:41:37 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I still want to see this Smart - scoring, attacking the rim. Trust yourself Marcus, you can!

http://goo.gl/ClrBr3
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:14:14 AM by jonaslopes »
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think he can peak to be a CP3 style of player 18-20 ppg..

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

I think this is about right.   I also expect him to be one of the most consistant players around with his efficiency.

I'll second this analogy, and add in he will be a Celtic captain someday. I like the fact that he gets stronger and more aggressive as his minutes stretch. He forces team member to show up or be exposed. 

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's not going to be Russell Westbrook inflate your stats by playing at a super pace on steroids stu ff.  He's more going to be a traditional player and how basketball is supposed to be played.

::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
We don' really know yet until he starts driving.

I'm a huge Smart supporter but sometimes I scratch my head as to why he isn't being more assertive.

IMO, Stevens has him playing strictly like a facilitator that shoots 3's....I don't agree with it, While he has improved at his shooting I'm not sure if this is something I want him to become. Especially a #6 pick.

He REALLY needs to start driving, I'm not sure if the staff reinforces this from him or not...

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think 17-19 PPG is a pretty safe bet.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
If he plays 35 minutes a game, I'd push him up to about 17 a game once he feels comfortable with the offense. I think he does 7 rebounds. The assists, yeah, probably never going to be above 5-7 range. It's not his style.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think he'll be in 15-17 pt range, but he'll shoot in the low 40s. Based on his college career and what we've seen of him so far, I don't think efficiency will be his calling card.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I think it all depends on the staff he's playing with. But overally speaking, not a lot of PG in the league average over 18 PPG, i guess it has trended down a notch, in fact I can name only Curry of top of my mind. In fact there are only four other guys.
I would be estatic if gets over 10ppg this year, and adds about 5-6 ppg in his next two years.
Off topic, his defense is right now NBA 1st team, hands down
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think it all depends on the staff he's playing with. But overally speaking, not a lot of PG in the league average over 18 PPG, i guess it has trended down a notch, in fact I can name only Curry of top of my mind. In fact there are only four other guys.
I would be estatic if gets over 10ppg this year, and adds about 5-6 ppg in his next two years.
Off topic, his defense is right now NBA 1st team, hands down
I mostly agree with this.  15ppg.  I think he'll get 2nd team all nba defense, being a rookie and all, but he's a lock in the future.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Right now he is averaging 6.5 PPG and shooting .39% from the field and .36% from trey land.  His APG are low at 3.1 Apg.

I think he could be a better player down the road amd average more but he is not a natural shooter.  I am more excited about his D than his offense.   I think many of these projections are high.  But that is Celticsblog for you, I recall when they thought Chris Herren and  Kedrick Brown were locks to be all stars here.