Author Topic: Robert upshaw kicked off team for drugs  (Read 8300 times)

Robert upshaw kicked off team for drugs
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:03:21 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
So sad, leading the league in blocks at 4.4 per game, recently had a 25 point 28 rebound night, 7 footer, he had the same problem at Fresno state, hope he gets better, and I would take a chance on the kid if he gets help

Re: Robert upshaw kicked off team for drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:01:36 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Such a shame!

I'd still draft him in the 2nd round but there are just too much big men prospects to pick him in the 1st on a guaranteed contract.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:34:22 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I knew who Marshon Brooks was.

I knew who Colton Iverson was.

I knew who Micah Downs was. Knew who Christian Watford was.

But I mistook Robert Upshaw for the new shooter guy on our D-league squad, Andre Dawkins.

First instance of me mistaking a scrub for someone else o_O

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
It will be interesting to see how his draft process unfolds. He is a first round talent who fills a hard to find role (rim protector).

If I am DA and I miss out on a center with the 2 1sts I would absolutely use the 76ers pick on him. With the 2nd rd pick the risk is worth the reward.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Robert you dummy.

He has to take the d league/europe route now

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
He's either going to be the next Hassan Whiteside or the next Robert Swift.

Upshaw's choice.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:42:50 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Guy must have a serious problem to be kicked out of 2 programs, Washington would have made the tourney with him, now not so sure.  That makes me think this problem must be really bad, he needs help then to go the Euro route before even thinking of giving the NBA a try as I doubt he will get another chance if he blows his first NBA chance. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I was actually thinking of making a thread about the was looking like this year's "let's not overthink  this, take the massive rimprotecting center, Deandre Jordan special" of this year's draft. Never knew he had substance abuse concerns. What a shame.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:18:27 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Guy must have a serious problem to be kicked out of 2 programs, Washington would have made the tourney with him, now not so sure.  That makes me think this problem must be really bad, he needs help then to go the Euro route before even thinking of giving the NBA a try as I doubt he will get another chance if he blows his first NBA chance.
yes, it is not as if college is a place where students are expected to NOT experiment with lots and lots of things. so for him to be kicked off TWO teams for substance abuse, upshaw must be doing something extraordinary.

maybe ainge will talk with him, decide he is adequately repentant, and invest a second round pick on him. god knows the celtics have a ton of those and they are perfect for taking gambles.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Depends on the drugs.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Comparing him to a football player, he may be basketball's Josh Gordon.  Bet he won't be listening to Afroman anytime soon.

It is a very selfish act to cause your team, to you lose because of personal choices regarding following the rules.   Your basically choosing self over team.  That would make me leery of signing this guy.  We could still draft him but I would use a late second rounder and the kid has to take 6 random drug tests a year.  That is basically a thrown away.   The CBA is very stern in regards to this stuff.

http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101.pdf

Parrish may have smoked but he didn't get suspended for substances one time.   There is a world of difference here.  MJ is not tested by the NBA.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:14:33 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just read this and it depends as was mentioned above depends what it is folks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/26/sports/marijuana-and-pro-basketball-a-special-report-nba-s-uncontrolled-substance.html

Sure it would be tested in the NCAA but in the NBA if it was pot then 60-70% of the league does it.  One of our guys sure looks like he gets the munchies now.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:53 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Looks like the PJ Hairston route for him.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I just read this and it depends as was mentioned above depends what it is folks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/26/sports/marijuana-and-pro-basketball-a-special-report-nba-s-uncontrolled-substance.html

Sure it would be tested in the NCAA but in the NBA if it was pot then 60-70% of the league does it.  One of our guys sure looks like he gets the munchies now.

This is a tenuous time for the pot smoking athlete. Society is on the verge of acceptance and players keep giving people reason to fight against its normalization. The Josh Gordons, Larry Sanders, and Robert Upshaws of the world are doing more harm to public opinion than good.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Looks like the PJ Hairston route for him.

Probably better for him to get some counseling and work out privately.  No need to open himself up to additional drug testing in the D-League right now.  He seems like someone who will have a problem going cold turkey, unfortunately.

This is definitely the type of guy you draft in the second round with a lot of non-guaranteed, make-good years on his contract.  Good thing we have an abundance of second-round picks coming up.