Author Topic: Olynyk is a problem  (Read 13029 times)

Olynyk is a problem
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I have been watching games this season and noticed an interesting trend - Celtics do significantly better with Olynyk off the floor. He is a defensive sieve with no special offensive skills. Consider this - after he got injured we beat Denver, nearly upset Golden State, etc. All of advanced defensive metrics went up significantly. I really do not understand people who say that Olynyk is valuable or is a good player - he is terrible. I hope he will get traded come draft day to move in the draft.

Re: Olynyk is a problem
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »

Offline JNCamirand

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I cannot agree more.
8th seed!!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:06:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We will be better once we get rid of him and Sully then watch the defense improve drastically.   Trouble is Sully can score and rebound and a player of a certain caliber needs to be attained first.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
His defense is absolutely atrocious.

I seem him as more of a 3rd/4th option on offense. Hard to make up for such bad defense without bringing more to the table on offense.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
so, now that bradley is playing well, olly becomes the new cb whipping boy?  :P

who will it be next week?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:41 PM »

Offline JNCamirand

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I've always believed Oly to be a detriment to a team. A center who can't play defense and has no post-up game at the age of 24 is not a valuable asset.
8th seed!!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
This is exactly what I've always been saying, can't believe it took an injury for people to finally see.  Without Olynyk Playing, the team actually has an identity :o.  Olynyk needs to go asap, i dont care what we get in return.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:45 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
But hes gonna average 20 and 10 this year?
Greg

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:51 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Olynyk is our second best WAR behind Sully so... yeah he is the problem.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I liked Oly until I went to the Wizards game (here in Washington) on December 27th.  On TV, you can't see how much he loses his man all the time.  The difference between him and Bass in defensive positioning was night and day.  It's still his second year in the NBA, and he really wasn't asked to do that at all in college (and in high school he was a pg and didn't need to know how to defend the post), so I hope he can learn.  But as of now, he has a lot to learn, and is a detriment on the floor.  I also think his defense is getting to his offense -- partly confidence, and partly his constant foul trouble is keeping him from getting any rhythm.

He doesn't need to be anything better than mediocre on defense if his offense comes back to be a useful player -- no one ever projected him as a defensive stopper.  He just needs to not be terrible.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
We will be better once we get rid of him and Sully then watch the defense improve drastically.   Trouble is Sully can score and rebound and a player of a certain caliber needs to be attained first.

In my opinion, Sully's defense is actually good. He defends the post, rotates, and attempts to challenge shots. As soon as we get a center who can contain guard penetration he will look even better. Sully has valuable skills rebounding, shooting, and very underrated skill - takes up a lot of spaces thus making it harder for opposing offense to operate. He is not a problem, but roster construction is. Once again, Sully needs a mobile center next to him - like WCS, Tyson Chandler, Noah (just to use as examples, not players to get by any means).

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
KO is least of our problem.   

We beat Portland without Aldrige and Batum half the game.

We beat the Nuggets by 1 without Lawson.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13

In my opinion, Sully's defense is actually good. He defends the post, rotates, and attempts to challenge shots. As soon as we get a center who can contain guard penetration he will look even better. Sully has valuable skills rebounding, shooting, and very underrated skill - takes up a lot of spaces thus making it harder for opposing offense to operate. He is not a problem, but roster construction is. Once again, Sully needs a mobile center next to him - like WCS, Tyson Chandler, Noah (just to use as examples, not players to get by any means).
Finally someone who knows defense
Yes Sullinger is a solid defender much better than Olynlyk, his only problem though seems to be with defending the pick and roll he lacks the range to cover grounds.  but overall a solid D.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

So what are the good things that KO does well defensively??

The main bad thing is that he is too aggressive and fouls too frequently. He will learn

the 2nd bad is that he has to guard players he shouldn't be guarding. He is a stretch 4 guarding Centers alot of times

There is alot of good things KO does on the defensive end. You either favour sully or turn a blind eye to the good things KO does on the court on the defensive end

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 10:56:44 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
What's worse is his offense can't even make up for his sub-par defense. If he is not shooting, he is a huge liability on the court.