Author Topic: Early Returns on Rondo and Green Trades  (Read 3159 times)

Early Returns on Rondo and Green Trades
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
As expected, losing Rondo and Green has had zero measurable effect on wins and losses.  We've had a fairly tough schedule in January too, with GSW, Clippers, Hawks, Blazers, Bulls, Raptors, Pelicans, and our defensive numbers have shown it.  But overall, same quality of basketball team, just with extra draft picks.

Re: Early Returns on Rondo and Green Trades
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:40:15 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
And Dallas is 5-5 over their last 10 games.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Will be hard to truly grade it until the pick comes in.   I think Ainge as usual jettison players at the right time. 

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Will be hard to truly grade it until the pick comes in.   I think Ainge as usual jettison players at the right time.
I don't think that way.  If you make great draft choices, it doesn't validate the trades.  If you make bad choices, it doesn't tarnish the trades.  I think you have to weigh the trade on its own merits.

Likewise if you trade with Dallas expecting a pick in the 20's, then they win the whole thing next year and it's pick #30, that's just bad luck.

Regardless, even if we draft 4 Fab Melo's, the trade is still a net positive to me for cash, cap flexibility, and trade exceptions, because the team isn't any worse on the court.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:03:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I don't think that way.  If you make great draft choices, it doesn't validate the trades.  If you make bad choices, it doesn't tarnish the trades.  I think you have to weigh the trade on its own merits.

TP, Pick.....makes complete sense to me.

I'll go one step further. Even if the choices don't work out, you still have to evaluate the trade based on what you got when the trade was made.

Specific case in point: Lennie Bias. Red traded Gerald Henderson for a draft pick that became Lennie Bias. GREAT trade, bad result>>>>still a great trade.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:58 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Nice job on the graph, but it may be difficult to gage in terms of wins and losses, on how successful the trade was for the Celtics at this point.

I'll guess and say our defense has improved, especially in terms of intensity. With Rondo not being interested in defense and Jeff Green kind of going through the motions on D.

On the offensive side, I feel the insertion of Turner as the everyday PG has settled the system down. With the loss of Green it's given opportunity for others to step up. Sully has stepped up on the offensive side, the ball is searching out the open man much more.

I would be interested in seeing how the loss of Rondo has impacted team assists per game.
Also with the loss of Green's 19 per game, has the team had a reduction of offense.   

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Nice job on the graph, but it may be difficult to gage in terms of wins and losses, on how successful the trade was for the Celtics at this point.

I'll guess and say our defense has improved, especially in terms of intensity. With Rondo not being interested in defense and Jeff Green kind of going through the motions on D.

On the offensive side, I feel the insertion of Turner as the everyday PG has settled the system down. With the loss of Green it's given opportunity for others to step up. Sully has stepped up on the offensive side, the ball is searching out the open man much more.

I would be interested in seeing how the loss of Rondo has impacted team assists per game.
Also with the loss of Green's 19 per game, has the team had a reduction of offense.
On paper, our defense has been worse in January than Dec and Nov, but against some very good teams.  Assists down about 5%.  Turnovers are down too and our pace has slowed slightly.  You can see that the pace is a bit slower now and slightly more controlled.  I don't mind that.  We still get the ball up the court quickly, we're just not a track star team.

Still too early to tell.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
As expected, losing Rondo and Green has had zero measurable effect on wins and losses.  We've had a fairly tough schedule in January too, with GSW, Clippers, Hawks, Blazers, Bulls, Raptors, Pelicans, and our defensive numbers have shown it.  But overall, same quality of basketball team, just with extra draft picks.

The Rondo trade happened after game 23 not game 17.  We were 9-14 and I think in 8th place at the time. 

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Good catch.  I drew my arrow to the wrong dot.  Same difference.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Humans play this game, when teammates lose teammates, ones who are considered better players, the remaining teammates have more opportunity to raise their own respective games.

It appeared to me that Evan Turner and Marcus Smart have done a good job since Rond was dealt.

With Green gone, more shots available for Marcus Thornton and others.

Likewise.....our oppositions are also human and when they know we traded away players for basically draft picks and serviceable role players, the opposition may let their guard down or underestimate our remaining group of players.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
basically what I expected. I thought losing green would hurt more than losing Rondo due to his offense, but either way we were a bad team that would win a few games. 

You don't build a contender with quantity. We had a deep bench of players who can play the game a bit, but that doesn't translate into success in this league. All that means is that when you trade a couple mediocre guards, there are a couple equally mediocre guards who can step in.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i also evaluate a trade by what assets u get from the trade not considering what players u draft with the picks or trades u make after it

but it is interesting to see how trade history impacts our long term future 
do we trade the picks to move up in the draft, do we draft a player or do we trade it for a disgruntled star

both trade seem to not have a significant effect on our winning %
from the trades, we gave away
rajon rondo
dwight powell
jeff green

we got back
jameer nelson = traded for nate robinson which we waived
brandan wright = traded for picks
jae crowder  = still on the team
tayshaun prince = still on the team
austin rivers = traded for 2nd rounder and shavlik randolph 

i think we may have gotten better from the trades at least defensively where crowder and prince are better defenders than green. green was also inefficient offensively in games this season (but he did become more consistent at scoring than the last few seasons)

shavlik randolph is pretty much a non factor with sully and bass ahead of him in the depth chart

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
also with rondo gone and saying he hasnt played defense
it gives smart more minutes where he has been a better hustler on the defensive end compared to rondo this season