Author Topic: Remember when Walker came back?  (Read 7672 times)

Remember when Walker came back?
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:23:38 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
In 2005, although we were not a contender by any means Ainge made a trade that brought Walker back to Boston. The deal was basically a 1st for the chance to be relevant again for a short time. No long term contracts. Ainge took over in 03 and we didnt get kg and ray till 07. Maybe Ainge or Owners knew that 4 years is just to long to suck for and expect not to lose a lot of fans.

I wonder if Ainge will find himself in a similar situation in the summer. if we do bottom out this year, can we really do it again (a 3rd year in a row)?

Short cuts seldom work. Yes we could over pay 3rd tier stars a la the Pistons, but thats no good.

Here is what I propose: Assuming we have cap room in the summer and also assuming we can't get LeBron, Love, Dragic, Gasol exc, We should over pay for 1 year deals with a team option second year. This way we don't hurt the future but we bring in some talent so we can start winning some games and at least make the playoffs. Then in summer of 2016 we have a lot of cap space and we are somewhat relevant.

What made me think about Walker coming back in 03, is that 2 prime guys we could bring back are Pierce and KG. 1 year generous contracts and the agreement that they can have jobs here after that as part of the coaching staff if they want. Overpay on 1 good player and bring back PP and KG and I think we have a 2-6 seed in the east. We can let Brooklyn tank for us.

Re: Remember when Walker came back?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:56 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I've thought of this as well. Give guys a chance to prove themselves for a year, allow them to gamble on themselves by risking future financial security and lure them with an extravagant annual salary.

Another trick we could use is front-loaded contracts. For example if we felt someone was worth $x over y years, we could pay them the maximum possible amount the first year and structure their contract so that each year their annual salary decreases.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 01:51:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If we sign rondo this summer I hope he wears the number 99 on his jersey

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:48:31 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I reckon we have enough ammo to make pretty good trade offers, contracts etc to 2 or three very high quality players. We should offer these to two or three of the high end free agents in this year. If we can close out deals that are not onerous, then we are back in contention, if not then stand pat and keep developing the young players.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 04:23:22 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
The 2nd Walker trade may be least favorite move of the DA era.  It was so pointless.  Sure, we only gave up a 1st rounder, but for what?  A first round playoff exit?

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It was a nod to the fans, AW was our best player for the dark years, but he was inefficient and took many a bad shot.   It had zero with us trying to be a winner but it did help to keep the seats filled.  If the rebuild looks like it will take 3 I could see us make a deal for PP or sign KG.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Adding kg to the mix wouldn't make us a playoff team, pierce can still play but I'm not sure it would get us there either

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The 2nd Walker trade may be least favorite move of the DA era.  It was so pointless.  Sure, we only gave up a 1st rounder, but for what?  A first round playoff exit?

I loved that trade as a fan.  It brought so much excitement to the team.  It sucked that we didn't go farther in the playoffs, and it turned out that Danny had no desire to re-sign him, but it was an exciting time.

It was a trade that was good for the fans, and probably good for Wyc's bottom line.  It probably wasn't particularly good for long-term planning, but luckily we were able to re-acquire the pick.  (Although it did cost us a shot at Afflalo or Splitter in 2007.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I loved that trade as a fan.  It brought so much excitement to the team.  It sucked that we didn't go farther in the playoffs, and it turned out that Danny had no desire to re-sign him, but it was an exciting time.

It was a trade that was good for the fans, and probably good for Wyc's bottom line.  It probably wasn't particularly good for long-term planning, but luckily we were able to re-acquire the pick.  (Although it did cost us a shot at Afflalo or Splitter in 2007.)

I also loved the trade. Walker fans went through the roof and he played well. The Celtics had a legitimate shot at making it to the ECF. The first down exit was actually a let down and it also happened to be Pierce's low point in his career (bandages in the post-game, etc).

The first rounder was a bit of a bummer, but we did get Payton back for the expected playoff run. I loved Walker's personality and hope Smart can bring that fire back.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »

Offline skinnyantoine

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think this would be the year for a trade like that. We have tons of draft picks, the east is extremely weak, and general interest in the team is slipping a little bit. Players like Sullinger and Smart would learn a lot from an experience like that. I don't think PP or KG would be the answer, you'd need to grab someone from a team that is underperforming expectations like Brooklyn, Charlotte, Phoenix, Denver, or Sacramento.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Players like Sullinger and Smart would learn a lot from an experience like that.

Sully still won't be fast or athletic.   Those are things one can't teach.  It might help his work ethic.   I doubt if it helps his weight,   I have never seen a player get fatter during the season as he does expect for Mel Turpin and Glen Davis.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:55:18 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I think this would be the year for a trade like that. We have tons of draft picks, the east is extremely weak, and general interest in the team is slipping a little bit. Players like Sullinger and Smart would learn a lot from an experience like that. I don't think PP or KG would be the answer, you'd need to grab someone from a team that is underperforming expectations like Brooklyn, Charlotte, Phoenix, Denver, or Sacramento.

Of the teams you mentioned, who could we get, besides Cousins, that could lead us into the playoffs? Maybe maybe Big Al. I'm still hoping for an out of nowhere trade that makes us good at the deadline. But there are only so many players and so many teams.

The summer is easier as PP and KG could just come bake without needing to trade. I can see Pierce doing it, if we have a team that would already make the playoffs without counting on him. If Pierce came back there is a decent chance KG would. Maybe just the 2nd half of the season. So we need to get someone first.

Sully and 3 firsts for Cousins? Something like that?

Cousins/Zeller/KG
KG/KO
PP/Crowder/Young
AB/Young
Smart/?

Something like that could let us be good next year and then say goodbye to PP and KG and have room to bring in another star. Even if we just paid Pierce what ever cap money we had left for 1 year it would be a really good sign to players out there about our team.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »

Offline skinnyantoine

• Jaden Springer
I was thinking more of playoff basketball experience.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »

Offline skinnyantoine

• Jaden Springer

Of the teams you mentioned, who could we get, besides Cousins, that could lead us into the playoffs? Maybe maybe Big Al. I'm still hoping for an out of nowhere trade that makes us good at the deadline. But there are only so many players and so many teams.

The summer is easier as PP and KG could just come bake without needing to trade. I can see Pierce doing it, if we have a team that would already make the playoffs without counting on him. If Pierce came back there is a decent chance KG would. Maybe just the 2nd half of the season. So we need to get someone first.

Sully and 3 firsts for Cousins? Something like that?

Cousins/Zeller/KG
KG/KO
PP/Crowder/Young
AB/Young
Smart/?

Something like that could let us be good next year and then say goodbye to PP and KG and have room to bring in another star. Even if we just paid Pierce what ever cap money we had left for 1 year it would be a really good sign to players out there about our team.

That is problem. We have players we somewhat like at every position. I can't remember who was playing PF when we brought Antoine back.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Walker trade was totally different than this summer.  That team was a mid-level team, not a dredge like this team is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip