Author Topic: Joe johnson for lance stephenson rumor  (Read 2829 times)

Joe johnson for lance stephenson rumor
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Charlotte Hornets and the Brooklyn Nets have started trade conversations involving Joe Johnson and Lance Stephenson.

Wojo

Re: Joe johnson for lance stephenson rumor
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/1/25/7895965/nba-trade-rumor-nets--hornets-joe-johnson-lance-stephenson

If you read thru that article the rumors are celtics gold.

key points

Joe Johnson for Lance Stephenson

Lopez deal would include Javale Mcgee

Obviously more pieces are involved but any trade that has the Nets tieing 20mill to that combo of players next season is a win for the celtics.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
The Hornets can match salaries in a number of ways but almost everything creates a new need.

Stephenson, Henderson, Marvin Williams is probably the best one for the Hornets but that creates a gap @ back up PF.

Stephenson, Henderson and Neal - a gap at back-up SG.

It looks like if that one goes through the Hornets will need a 2nd one to fill-up the roster.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
To Nets:

Lance
Henderson
Williams
Neal

To Hornets:
Johnson
Alan Anderson
Bass

To Celts:
2017 1st round pick, top 14 protected until 2019, 2019-2020 2nd rounders if it doesn't convey.

Salaries work.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Just glad we are not getting Lance.   Here I was hoping he would go to the Cavs.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It seems like any trade the Nets make is going to make them worse in the short term, while giving them cap space sooner. This is so great for the Celtics.

Meanwhile, the Hawks could end up being great for a long time, with the core that they have plus a lottery pick this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Not sure these moves would really improve the Nets in the next 2 years or so, as they really don't shed salary and aren't getting guys back who would really make them much better...so sounds good to me!

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Not sure these moves would really improve the Nets in the next 2 years or so, as they really don't shed salary and aren't getting guys back who would really make them much better...so sounds good to me!

Yep.  At the same time it makes sense for the Nets, because their team as constructed has no future.  They're stuck in a ditch, and their only hope is that a different engine can get them out.  But I just chuckle knowing Deron Williams is owed $22 million in 2016-2017.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
If you look at it carefully, we already have a Lance Stephenson-type player on the roster: Evan Turner. Let's take a look at the statistics this year:

Stephenson: 31 mpg, 9.8 points / 6.1 reb / 4.8 assists / .7 steals / 2.3 TOs
Turner: 25 mpg, 9.2 / 4.5 / 4.4 / .9 / 2.4

The raw stats are very close, but this is a case for normalizing things PER 36:

Stephenson: 11.4 / 7.1 / 5.6 / .8 / 2.7
Turner: 13.1 / 6.4 / 6.3 / 1.3 / 3.4

That's so close it's almost uncanny, especially for players who (nominally) play the same position. Even their personal "best" years of their career are similar when looking at PER 36 numbers: 14/7/5 for Lance and 16/6/4 for Evan.

Lance has better potential, is better at the defensive end and 2 years younger. But he's also a known cancer and carries a $9m/yr price tag for 3 years. Turner has fit in well with the Celtics and costs $3.3m this year and next. So when considering everything - the stats, the attitude, the contracts, their respective ages and that all elusive "potential" - would anyone really take Lance over Turner? I'd say Lance is the better player, but not by that big of a margin. When factoring in the attitude and contract, I'm happy to have Turner instead.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100

Yep.  At the same time it makes sense for the Nets, because their team as constructed has no future.  They're stuck in a ditch, and their only hope is that a different engine can get them out.  But I just chuckle knowing Deron Williams is owed $22 million in 2016-2017.

Yeah...if the goal is to sell the team, then cutting salary while not adding much is going to be the Nets' main objective over the next few years. This bodes well for us, because even if they are able to unload some of their big contracts, they aren't getting good talent in return (b/c their guys are paid way more than they're worth) and they won't make many/any big signings with any cap space they can generate (which they probably can't get for another year or two, as-is). So...if the goal is to sell, the Nets prob won't resemble a real franchise until 2018 or so, which is awesome for us. If the goal isn't to sell, they really can't improve much for another 2 years,  anyway.