Author Topic: young great stroke moves well athletic-and just a kid  (Read 4438 times)

Re: young great stroke moves well athletic-and just a kid
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
James Young is not PP. Maybe, I pray, someday he will have some qualities but Young reminds me more of Klay Thompson.
I think Klay is a good comparison. He can surely score in bunches when he gets hot.  He is so young so there is a great deal of hope for us. I hope he does get some bigger minutes in March and April but D league is best now i think while we have Prince.
He's had one good shooting game in the NBA....maybe I missed if he had another...and we are comparing him to Klay Thompson?  I'd like to see him string 20-30 good games before I start thinking that way.

Yeah, I'd like to see him in a few more games before he's compared to anyone. His minutes this year have been really scattered. No preseason, injury, D-league, flu, he needs many more minutes.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 10:46:53 PM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
James Young is not PP. Maybe, I pray, someday he will have some qualities but Young reminds me more of Klay Thompson.
I think Klay is a good comparison. He can surely score in bunches when he gets hot.  He is so young so there is a great deal of hope for us. I hope he does get some bigger minutes in March and April but D league is best now i think while we have Prince.
He's had one good shooting game in the NBA....maybe I missed if he had another...and we are comparing him to Klay Thompson?  I'd like to see him string 20-30 good games before I start thinking that way.

But this is Celtics Blog, this is how it works. That way, in two years times we can crucify him for not meeting the ill advised expectations that were unrealistically and unfairly made for him in the first place. :-\

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 10:56:14 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Who is young great stroke? ;D

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 11:06:19 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

But this is Celtics Blog, this is how it works. That way, in two years times we can crucify him for not meeting the ill advised expectations that were unrealistically and unfairly made for him in the first place. :-\

To whom do you refer? You must have an example of such ill advised expectations given.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 11:37:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Young reminds me of ... a marginal NBA player.

Since he is young, I expect him to develop into more of a legitimate rotation guy with time.

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 11:49:57 PM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!

To whom do you refer? You must have an example of such ill advised expectations given.

There are plenty.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:04:14 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I hope he can be a guy who can fill a role similar to Jamal Crawford.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 12:06:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Klay Thompson is a good comparison although Young has superior size.

Similarly to Klay, Young lacks any legitimate dribble breakdown ability or dribble drive game when being defended in the half court set. Has some similar line drive moves to Jeff Green but has an absolutely beautiful stroke.

He's 2 seasons away from being a contributor but if we hit the bottom of the barrel he should benefit from more playing time and exposure to how important defense is yo make it as an nba player.
My hope is that he becomes a rich man's Danny Green.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 01:32:59 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Danny Green with more athleticism and height?  I would accept that.  :)  He's not there yet, but hopefully he can become a meaningful contributor in a couple of seasons.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Well try to not to forget that Klay Thompson wasn't exactly a force until 3 tears into his career. He wasn't a highly touted top 3 pick in 2011 he was a possible reach for GS at 11. Unfortuantly though Klay having such strong basketball pedigree with his family basically forcing him to suceed($10k allowance from his rookie season) as well as a completive friendship and rivalry with Steph Curry, Thompson might be the poster boy for the adage that says that how successful you'll be in the league, depends on how good of a situation that you are drafted into.

Lets hope we end up the right spot for James Young. Celtics have stated they had him ranked as their 8th best prospect. At Kentucky I always thought he was a better scorer than shooter.  I'm hoping he develops into a consistent 15-19 ppg player at the NBA level that can be counted on to hit 4th quarter shots.

P.S. I went to opening night earlier this year and although he didn't play a minute I thought he had the most effortless stroke during pre game shootaround for whatever that's worth.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 03:25:54 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Double post. Mods please delete.

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
After watching prince run his routes i was impressed with his timing and smoothness.There is a art form to his plays>Young could learn a lot from prince.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:57:18 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Didn't Young brick one last night?   So there, he is not Jesus Shuttlesworth, and he is human folks.

For the guy, who thinks he played like Alex English, note that English played a lot inside and attacked the rim, there jumpers look vastly different.   Other than both being black and 6'7", I am not seeing it.  Young is more of a spot up shooter, and Young looks more athletic but English has more skill down low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3YoJUeS5jA