Author Topic: Tanking or developing young talent, what's the difference?  (Read 1067 times)

Tanking or developing young talent, what's the difference?
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Tanking is an ugly word. The connotation of it isn't flattering to any individual or organization. If I though any team or organization I followed we're really tanking... I'd be fuccing gone.

Yet some people use it so easily, it just rolls off there tongue, it's the new "in" word, like "like" or "dude" it makes me think they've never played a serious sport in their lives.

MY Celtics do not tank, they reconstruct, they remake, reestablish, recondition, rehabilitate. LOL

What is the difference between tanking and developing young talent to you? Is there a difference? 

Re: Tanking or developing young talent, what's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When your sole focus isn't on winning your tanking.  That includes developing young talent and blatantly losing games to get a good pick.   I have no problem for a team losing because of lack of talent, it happens, sometimes the other team is better.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
The NBA to me has always been a marathon and not a sprint anyways.  Even the celtics during the 80's would coast through games then turn it up the final 5 minutes and win the game.  These celtics are young and not talented enough to do that.  That separates the good teams from the bad ones. I don't think we are tanking.  Teams would be stupid if they were trying to win every second of every game.  Most guys would end up in the infirmary. Should we be out there trying to win each game? Yeah but i think there is development involved with that.

I think the goal is to win a championship.  The celtics are building towards that.  I don't think that is tanking.  It's no different what the celtics would do in the 80's for 3 quarters. They'd build up and then win the game.

The celtics regardless are different than other teams anyways.  It's more about work ethic and just focus on the ultimate goal vs every second of every game but all that is part of that.

We could run Marcus Smart out there and ruin him but why would we do that? We aren't going to sacrificce the future for that.  I think there is focus on his development every second he is out there.

I more see this team as developing.  We aren't tanking or intentionally trying to get a better draft pick.  If we make the playoffs so be it.

The word tanking is an oxymoron because the celtics are always working and exploring things and building towards something regardless.

Were we tanking with Rondo and intentionally trying to trade him for crap?  No.  We were exploring things and there was always a chance he may have stayed.

TAnking is stupid and just for ****s and giggles.  If I've ever said the word it's more just been for a good laugh.  The celtics are not stupid. The people out there who think we should be intentionally trying to lose games and trade good players on a dime are people who don't understand the celtics imo.

There are some teams that do do that. I don't think the celtics do.  IF teams do that it's irresponsible imo and players careers get affected by that stuff.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:04:48 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Tanking is an ugly word. The connotation of it isn't flattering to any individual or organization. If I though any team or organization I followed we're really tanking... I'd be fuccing gone.

Yet some people use it so easily, it just rolls off there tongue, it's the new "in" word, like "like" or "dude" it makes me think they've never played a serious sport in their lives.

MY Celtics do not tank, they reconstruct, they remake, reestablish, recondition, rehabilitate. LOL

What is the difference between tanking and developing young talent to you? Is there a difference?
Tanking is what other teams do. If we do it, then we must be developing our young players. The players and coaches are not trying to lose but GMs move out veterans and play younger players so losses pile up and you wind up with a juicy draft pick.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
If tanking is defined as setting your team up to lose a lot and also develop young talent in an attempt to also get a high pick then we are tanking. Call it what you will but it appears that we are losing to get a few very high picks over the next few drafts.

Is this bad? I guess that depends on your opinion of what is going on but really it may be a part of the current structure of the NBA. I think the Celtics have always been a team that competes for titles, not just to be competitive. If losing a season or two, and consequently also developing talent, is what it takes to again compete for titles then I'm on board.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Just pointing out. A team can develop a number of young players without losing (Spurs) or wind up losing without developing players (Knicks)
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Just pointing out. A team can develop a number of young players without losing (Spurs) or wind up losing without developing players (Knicks)

The Spurs had David Robinson and then Tim Duncan.

Makes it easier not to tank.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the concept of "tanking" should be a front office decision, never an on the court thing. "tanking" has a horrible sound to it, but I would hope a gm would weigh his options and say "what benefits the team more"?

I said at the beginning of the season if this team had gotten rid of Rondo, Green, Bass and maybe Wallace and it was just the kids on the roster and we were in the playoff hunt? then they absolutely should try to do everything to make the playoffs...it would mean these kids are as good as we'd hoped.

but if we were in the same situation with those vets it does nothing for this team if all those guys were getting a majority of the mins, making an 8 seed and getting bounced in the 1st rnd. that benefits nobody. and it's counter-productive.