Author Topic: How much more hardware could Mr. Russell have?  (Read 3356 times)

How much more hardware could Mr. Russell have?
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:22 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Hay...
We in Celtics Nation all know who Mr. Russell was. But it seems to me that the fans of other teams really underestimated him. Is it because the league wasn't giving alot of awards in hes time?

Bill Russell caring just for one stat- who won.
He was HS champ, 2 time NCAA champ (with 55 wins in a row), Olympic champ and 11 times NBA champ (if not for injury in 1958, it would be 12/13).
He was 10-0 in decisice 5th or 7th game. Won back-to-back titles as player-coach. In last game in his career won a title against Chamberlain, West and Baylor in theirs building.

Mr. Russell won 5 MVP award, 1 all-star MVP award, All-NBA (3+8), All-Defensive (1+0)...
Would he be more respectable by other fans with more hardware?

For Example...finals MVP?
1957. Russell 13,3pts, 22,9rbs, 3,3apg, Cousy 20,7pts, 6,7rbs, 9,1apg, Heinsohn 24,0pts, 12,6rbs, 2,1apg... because Tommy Heinsohn put 37 points and 23 rebounds in decisive 7th game i believe that he would won the award in 1957.
1959. Ramsey and Sharman 22,5 pts. Heinsohn 24,3pts and 8,8 rbs. Russell 9,3pts and 29,5rbs... Russell should won MVP award
1960. no contest. Russell averaged 16,7pts, 24,9rbs and 3,0ast. In decisive game 7 had 22pts and 35 rbs. MVP award is his
1961. no contest. Russell averaged 17,6pts, 28,8rbs and 4,4ast. In last game had 30pts and 38rbs. Third consecutive Finals MVP award
1962. no contest. Russell averaged 22,9pts, 27,0rbs and 5,7ast. In decisive game 7 had 30pts and 40rbs.
1963. no contest. Russell averaged 20,0pts, 26,0rbs and 5,3ast.
1964. battling Chamberlain and Thurmond averaged 11,2 pts, 25,2rbs and 5,0ast. Should won 6th consecutiva MVP award
1965. Sam Jones scored 27,8pts, but Russell averaged 17,8pts, 25,0rbs and 5,8ast. In last game 22pts and 35rbs.
1966. no contest. Russell averaged 23,6pts, 24,3rbs and 3,7ast. In decisive game 7 had 25pts and 32rbs
1968. Russell averaged 17,3pts, 21,8rbs and 5,7ast. John Havlicek averaged 27,3pts, 8,7rbs and 6,7ast. In last game 6 Hondo scored 40 points and this probably gives Havlicek award
1969. first time the NBA gives award and gives it to Jerry West. On a losing team. What a joke. MVP should be John Havlicek (28,3pts, 11,0rbs and 4,4ast). Old Russell averages 9,1pts, 21,1rbs, 5,1 ast and limits Chamberlain to 11,7pts

So Bill Russell would won at least 8 NBA finals award. Consecutive. But with his leadership and defense he was the best player on 11 championchips teams.

DPOY:
Russell is by far the greatest defensive player of all-time. Should DPOY award existed in his time he would won it at least 10 times. Maybe woudn't won in 1957. because he came late because Olympics (this is the reason why Heinsohn was ROY that year). Maybe woudn't won in 1967. because it was Wilt's year and maybe woudn't won in 1969. Maybe.
So best case scenario is 13 DPOY awards. But i'm gonna with 10 DPOY.

All-defense teams:
The first year NBA gives this award is Russell last year, 1968/69. He was first team.
Best case scenario: 13 first teams all-defense
Worst case scenario: 11 first teams+2 second team (1957 and 1967) all-defense.

Blocked shot leaders:
The greatest blocker that ever lived. At least 10 times league leader...

So if Bill Russell final tally was:
5 MVP awards, 8 Finals MVP awards, 1 All-Star MVP, 3 first team all-NBA, 8 second team all-NBA, 11 first team all-defense, 2 second team all-defense, 10 DPOY, 10 times blocked shot leader, 4 times rebounds leader is...

Would younger generations and fans of other clubs see that #6 is the GOAT. And that clown LeBron put Mr. Russell on his Mt.Rushmore?

Pozdrav iz Hrvatske
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

Re: How much more hardware could Mr. Russell have?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Interesting stats.  Nice post.  Russell truly was one of a kind.  Those were alot of rebounds!  In any era!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:56:10 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

1969. first time the NBA gives award and gives it to Jerry West. On a losing team. What a joke. MVP should be John Havlicek (28,3pts, 11,0rbs and 4,4ast). Old Russell averages 9,1pts, 21,1rbs, 5,1 ast and limits Chamberlain to 11,7pts

a small point and not to derail the thread, but let's give credit where credit is due. for west, he posted the following averages in the 1969 playoffs:

Averaged 30.9 points, 3.9 rebounds and 7.5 assists in 18 playoff games. he averaged 38 points a game in the finals. and in the famous "balloon game" 7, west had a line of 42 points, 13 rebounds, 12 assists. and he did all this with a severe hamstring pull.

i love me some havelcik and russell, but we cant just dismiss what west did. what he did was no "joke."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
Hay...
As a basketball historian and longtime writer in croatian basketball magazine among many others I have write about Jerry West. I have nothing but respect for Mr. West. If he didn't wear this ugly purple-gold jersey i would say that i love Mr. West. His play in 1969. was terrific. I didn't mean his play was "joke". I simply mean that Finals MVP must go to the winners side. After West, no player from losing side ever, ever won a Finals MVP. Even Jerry West himself later said:
"This Finals MVP Award feels like rubbing salt into the wound. How could I be the most valuable player when we just lost?"

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Hay...
As a basketball historian and longtime writer in croatian basketball magazine among many others I have write about Jerry West. I have nothing but respect for Mr. West. If he didn't wear this ugly purple-gold jersey i would say that i love Mr. West. His play in 1969. was terrific. I didn't mean his play was "joke". I simply mean that Finals MVP must go to the winners side. After West, no player from losing side ever, ever won a Finals MVP. Even Jerry West himself later said:
"This Finals MVP Award feels like rubbing salt into the wound. How could I be the most valuable player when we just lost?"
Zdravo!!! Hvala. i see your point now. thanks for clarifying. and yes, if west had been a celtic we would all be worshipping at his shrine.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You completely ignore his College and Olympic hardware.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
How so? I have mentioned 2 NCAA titles and Olympic gold. Ok, he was 2 time all-american firste team and MOP of Final Four. But i was here talking about awards that didn't exist when Russell played (Finals MVP, DPOY, All-Defense team and blocked shots).