Author Topic: Calling it now -- We should Draft Stanley Johnson  (Read 10950 times)

Re: Calling it now -- We should Draft Stanley Johnson
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
  If we get this guy I'll be extremely happy with our draft selection.

SJ is the anti Jeff Green, he can do it all. Defend, Score & pass/facilitate.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i'm convinced. he does seem to be a great player. honestly if the celtics get any one of johnson, russell, WCS, porzingas, or looney, i would be happy.

and i am pretty confident the celtics will get at least one of this group....unless they get lucky and get a top three pick. it is so nice to dream.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
With his build, attitude and hustle, along Marcus Smart, we could start the all tough guy team.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I would be happy to have him.

From what I've read, he's an excellent defender, a competitor of the highest level. I also read that he's not as good offensively? I dont mind that. If he can impact the defensive end immediately, I'd be patient for his offensive development. 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I like him a lot. I have a feeling he will become my annual "guy who looks to be in the C's range in January and then ends up taken higher."

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 01:01:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would be happy to have him.

From what I've read, he's an excellent defender, a competitor of the highest level. I also read that he's not as good offensively? I dont mind that. If he can impact the defensive end immediately, I'd be patient for his offensive development.
His offense (15ppg on percentages of 49/41/71) is fine.  He's also a good rebounder (7rpg) and excellent defender.  I don't think he is a team's #1 scorer at the NBA level but as a 2nd or 3rd scoring option he'd do well.     

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I like him a lot. I have a feeling he will become my annual "guy who looks to be in the C's range in January and then ends up taken higher."
He's already a top 5 pick and with our last couple wins we aren't likely to be picking that high.   

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Stanley Johnson would also pair well with Smart defensively. They're both versatile and physical defenders.

I agree. He reminds me of a bigger Smart as well and I think Johnson and Young will pair offensively too with AB off the bench. Young (finesse) and Johnson (strength). What a nice combo.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:58:38 PM by Maurice98 »

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
  If we get this guy I'll be extremely happy with our draft selection.

SJ is the anti Jeff Green, he can do it all. Defend, Score & pass/facilitate.

I disagree because Jeff can defend, score and can pass a little but the main difference between them is that SJ is very active, high motor and he's very aggressive while Green is more passive.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 01:22:20 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
What I love about Johnson is that although he is very young, he already has the NBA caliber body.  Much like Smart, I see him coming out of the gates fast and being able to bully opposing players with his physique and athleticism.  In other words, immediate contributions.

SJ went off for 42 points in the Tarkanian classic so I think he does have the potential to become a prime time scorer.  He just needs more polish, as a lot of young players do. 
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/GLcms3GfwUuBps80TwQIeg/tarkanian-classic--stanley-johnson-goes-for-42-points-on-opening-night.htm

But I believe Johnson already has the physical tools needed to become a stud NBA player.  I love the other posters comments that he would be a good fit for Brad Stevens system.  I agree.   He would be able to do a lot of things the coach demands at a high level.  He fits and that helps a lot.

Having Smart and Johnson on the court at the same time would be a nightmare for opposing offenses.  And Johnson has the athleticism to quickly turn that defense into offense.  I could see alley oops from Smart to Johnson being an exciting moment in the game to wait for, because both players can deliver.

And what I love the most about Johnson, besides his talent, is his aggressive mentality and confidence.  He would bring a swagger to this team that we just don't have currently. 

I believe he would slot into the 3 for us seamlessly and could also contribute at the 2 if needed because of his handling skills.  Having rotation players like Jae Crowder James Young at SF/SG already in place will make us that much deeper as a team.

This blogger compared Stanley Johnson to 'an offensively better' Kawhi Leonard. 
http://kylewilliams60612.sportsblog.com/posts/1419676/nba_comparisons_for_top_nba_prospects_.html

Now who wouldn't want the next Leonard on your basketball team??  I would be ecstatic if he could give us that!

Meet Stanley Johnson (article also mentioned him looking good in FIBA competition and locking down Arron Afflalo, a current NBA player):
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2191909-meet-stanley-johnson-the-best-two-way-prospect-in-the-2015-nba-draft

"Johnson immediately proved that he had the assertiveness and body to compete with an NBA player," said Nima Zarrabi of Slam Magazine.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:29:14 AM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 01:39:51 AM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Pretty cool video about the kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW1GT81uHTM

Trade Bradley to move up in the draft, then:

Okafor
Sullinger
Johnson
Young
Smart

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 05:33:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm not convinced this guy can be a number one option in the NBA, but he should be a solid pro, perhaps a prime tayshaun prince. 

Although if his shooting stroke improves he's like a tough guy version of Joe Johnson & could play 2 through 4.

I like DANGELO russell as a prime time scorer around pick 5 and 6.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:16 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Saw this thread here. Real good stuff. Couldn't help but to thoroughly read it as I interviewed Jeff Goodman from ESPN on yesterday's Celtics Beat and he reiterated what many in this thread believe: Johnson would be the ideal Celtic on Draft Day and should be very much obtainable for Danny Ainge.

Interview starts at 14:40 and Johnson talk (which is pretty elaborate) begins at 28:35.  He loves the kid.  Knows he's got some problems but is confident they can be rectified and that he'd eventually flourish. Would love him in Boston.

Here's the show, as I said (14:40 + 28.38)

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/8/5/e85175528be08fa0/celtics_beat_125.mp3?c_id=8241596&expiration=1422277647&hwt=a98aaf2f530ace416b6e74a553d6f68d
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 07:14:30 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Saw this thread here. Real good stuff. Couldn't help but to thoroughly read it as I interviewed Jeff Goodman from ESPN on yesterday's Celtics Beat and he reiterated what many in this thread believe: Johnson would be the ideal Celtic on Draft Day and should be very much obtainable for Danny Ainge.

Interview starts at 14:40 and Johnson talk (which is pretty elaborate) begins at 28:35.  He loves the kid.  Knows he's got some problems but is confident they can be rectified and that he'd eventually flourish. Would love him in Boston.

Here's the show, as I said (14:40 + 28.38)

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/8/5/e85175528be08fa0/celtics_beat_125.mp3?c_id=8241596&expiration=1422277647&hwt=a98aaf2f530ace416b6e74a553d6f68d

Thanks a lot for the stuff, first TP for you!
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Sweet...I'm all in for this kid.

He's got a pro body...NOW!

He's going to be a very good pro.

Although, he might be unattainable...he's rising and the Celtics keep winning games here and there.