Author Topic: Spurs looking to sign LaMarcus Aldridge in offseason  (Read 3398 times)

Spurs looking to sign LaMarcus Aldridge in offseason
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
If Duncan and many retire Spurs are looking at signing either Gasol or Aldridge.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/report-spurs-luring-lamarcus-aldridge-in-free-agency-is-a-possibility-mentioned-by-multiple-team-executives/

But explain to me why Danny doesn't just go after Gasol and Aldridge and send some picks to both teams.

Smart
Young
---
Aldridge
Gasol

Great looking team.

Re: Spurs looking to sign LaMarcus Aldridge in offseason
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:55:01 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Will the Spurs be 100% foreign-born players if they sign Gasol?

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Will the Spurs be 100% foreign-born players if they sign Gasol?
Not if they have Leonard.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:30:07 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The best just keep getting better.  Spurs will be scary with either Aldridge or Gasol manning the middle.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:05:55 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Isnt leonard a fa also

I dont think they have the cap to sign both do they?

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:18:12 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Isnt leonard a fa also

I dont think they have the cap to sign both do they?

They have 33 mil committed to what should be a 66 mil cap this summer, so it'll be a crunch to sign both. Factor in that if Duncan wants to come back he'll have to come back at a big discount. I'd tell Danny to offer TD 2/40 just to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Leonard for Aldridge double S&T?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

But explain to me why Danny doesn't just go after Gasol and Aldridge and send some picks to both teams.

Neither the Griz nor the Blazers are going to trade those guys as long as they think they have a shot in the playoffs.  And the new rules mean that you can no longer do a sign-n-trade with your current team to get the max deal with a new team.

So, the teams have no interest in a trade, the players have no interest in a trade and Ainge has no interest in a trade.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 03:14:01 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
...Spurs are looking at signing either Gasol or Aldridge.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/report-spurs-luring-lamarcus-aldridge-in-free-agency-is-a-possibility-mentioned-by-multiple-team-executives/

And 29 other teams.

I think what sets us apart is that we could have nearly $40M in cap space next season. Portland has around $41M before signing Aldridge and others. Philly has the most at around $52M.

If we stretch Wallace we'll have enough cap room to sign 2 max contracts. I'd argue that we're probably the most "liquid" team in the NBA. If you look at our situation from assets to cap room to young talent, we have a very interesting canvas to work with.

San Antonio will have to walk that line between attracting max FAs while also matching the inevitable Leonard offer sheet. Oh and they will have to try to keep their 3pt shooting in tact (Green, Mills, Bonner, Belinelli). It will be difficult.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I can't believe I'm using one of these names, but what if we throw max money (or in the case of Whiteside, hopefully somewhat less) at Aldridge and Whiteside?

Aldridge / Whiteside would be an unbelievable front line. Smart + Whiteside could be the best 1/5 defensive combo in the league.

14/13/12 (blocks) in 24 minutes tonight

Smart / Bradley / Young / Turner / Sullinger / Olynyk / Zeller / Crowder
Aldridge / Whiteside

Leaves us plenty of chips to lure another star as well.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
If we get a top 3 pick, I could see Danny trading it for Gasol, offering Aldridge and Khawi or Butler all three max deals and somehow moving wallace , and Turner.

Smart, Rookie
Bradley, Young
Khawi or Jimmy Butler/ Rookie
Aldridge/Sully
Gasol/Kelly

Contender. As well as top defensive team in the league the next 3 years???

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If we get a top 3 pick, I could see Danny trading it for Gasol, offering Aldridge and Khawi or Butler all three max deals and somehow moving wallace , and Turner.

Smart, Rookie
Bradley, Young
Aldridge/Sully
Gasol/Kelly

So we're somehow supposed to get Gasol, LA, and either Leonard or Butler without trading Smart, AB, Young, Sully and KO but also shedding Wallace's contract?

Good luck on that one.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown

Smart, Rookie
Bradley, Young
Aldridge/Sully
Gasol/Kelly

So we're somehow supposed to get Gasol, LA, and either Leonard or Butler without trading Smart, AB, Young, Sully and KO but also shedding Wallace's contract?

Good luck on that one.

If I was Danny, which I'm not and I'm not a NBA GM but with the assets that he has and if he wants to go all in like I stated above, it's more then possible.

Trade one of the a Clippers, Memphis, Cavs, or nets picks and Gerald Wallace to a team for expirings.
Trade a second or two and Evan Turner to a team for an expiring.

Then we'd have room for 3 max contracts, and offer those three players max deals , quite simple. And if we needed to do a sign and trade with Blzers or Grizz, obviously the top pick that we receive this year some 1st rounders we have and kelly or sully.

It's possible and I bet Gasol would love to play alongside Aldridge and vice versa and then also have a Jimmy butler or Khawi. That would easily entice them to come. It all depends if Danny is willing to give up the farm for them three and if they aren't 100% committed to their current team.