Author Topic: Good challenge for AB and Smart vs Curry and Thompson tomorrow  (Read 4725 times)

Good challenge for AB and Smart vs Curry and Thompson tomorrow
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Thompson won't be scoring 37 in one quarter, that's for sure.  K

Anyways,  several announcers are already considering AB, Smart one of the top backcourt defensive duo in the league.  While we all know Curry and Thompson are considered the best backcourt offensive duo in the league.   It will be a good matchup imo.  Pressey will also help to try to slow down Curry.   Not expecting a shutdown or anything but if the Celts can slow these two guys down, we have an ok chance to win.   

Other good matchups

- Crowder vs Green. I expect Crowder to raise his game vs the trash talking Green.
- Sullinger vs Lee

Re: Good challenge for AB and Smart vs Curry and Thompson tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Evan Turner will probably play 40 minutes though.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Great, we really need to prove something by beating GSW.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Lambs to the slaughter

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Count this game a loss.....unless Clay and Curry get kidnapped , tankers can rest easy.

Luv to know the odds Boston beats GS at home .  .....I suspect I might win power ball before that happens this year

Maybe ,  we would have a chance if Clay and Curry had to shoot all game with their none shooting hand and one eye closed.lol

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Count this game a loss.....unless Clay and Curry get kidnapped , tankers can rest easy.

Luv to know the odds Boston beats GS at home .  .....I suspect I might win power ball before that happens this year

Maybe ,  we would have a chance if Clay and Curry had to shoot all game with their none shooting hand and one eye closed.lol

If Curry and Thompson have only ok games, we have a chance to win.  Not likely guys like Lee, Bogut or Green will be taking over. 

Curry and Thompson has prob not seen a defensive pairing like Smart and AB this season. I remember a few seasons back when AB and Lee suffocated Curry and Thompson badly and we pulled out a win

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I see this playing out like, AB and Smart playing hard defense and forcing 3-5 bad possessions early, Golden State hanging in playing through their bigs... and then Curry and Thompson proceed to make adjustments and level our back court.

108 -93 Golden State.

Hope I'm wrong!

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

If Curry and Thompson have only ok games, we have a chance to win.  Not likely guys like Lee, Bogut or Green will be taking over. 

Curry and Thompson has prob not seen a defensive pairing like Smart and AB this season. I remember a few seasons back when AB and Lee suffocated Curry and Thompson badly and we pulled out a win

No we don't (well maybe there is, but that a very tiny window). This team doesn't live on Curry and Klay alone, they also live on their defense. If Klay and Steph will have okay games, we're still going to need a Herculean effort offensively to still beat the Dubs. In case you probably haven't seen them, they can defend.

And I hope Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley rise to the challenge, but keeping Steph in check would be freaking almost impossible. Steph dropped an average 23 points on 53.6% shooting against an All NBA Defender in Patrick Beverley. I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't see AB or Mahcus having a much better chance. And that's just half of the Splash Bro's.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
They put the clamps on them but we are missing someone that helped make it possible, a help defender named KG. Another thing you are forgetting, the growth of the games of Curry and Klay. You can defend great but if a really good player is on his game there is NOTHING you can do to stop them.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
They put the clamps on them but we are missing someone that helped make it possible, a help defender named KG. Another thing you are forgetting, the growth of the games of Curry and Klay. You can defend great but if a really good player is on his game there is NOTHING you can do to stop them.

What if the Celtics occasionally give hard fouls to each of these players....say two times during the game with purpose.  Sure, they make the 12 foul shots, but each new three point attempt comes with a thought..."am I hitting the deck or not?"  Just making them think of that could throw them off....or maybe not? 

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

No we don't (well maybe there is, but that a very tiny window). This team doesn't live on Curry and Klay alone, they also live on their defense. If Klay and Steph will have okay games, we're still going to need a Herculean effort offensively to still beat the Dubs. In case you probably haven't seen them, they can defend.

And I hope Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley rise to the challenge, but keeping Steph in check would be freaking almost impossible. Steph dropped an average 23 points on 53.6% shooting against an All NBA Defender in Patrick Beverley. I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't see AB or Mahcus having a much better chance. And that's just half of the Splash Bro's.

Beverly is not a better backcourt defender than AB nor Smart.

AB caused Curry to shoot 3-11 2 years ago.  Also AB is taller than Beverly and has a 6'9 wingspan.  Smart also has a 6'9 wingspan and is much bigger/stronger than Beverly.  His strength will wear Curry/Thompson down

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 12:00:34 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Smart is out, sadly.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 12:34:19 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 01:43:12 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

AB caused Curry to shoot 3-11 2 years ago.  Also AB is taller than Beverly and has a 6'9 wingspan.  Smart also has a 6'9 wingspan and is much bigger/stronger than Beverly.  His strength will wear Curry/Thompson down

2 years ago, Curry was not an MVP candidate.

Curry going off is not a knock on AB or Smart (or Beverly)'s defensive abilities but it's more of a testament to how Steph Curry's game has grown a ton. And also Klay Thompson, who just set an NBA record in their game vs the Kings.

- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 02:44:53 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

2 years ago, Curry was not an MVP candidate.

Curry going off is not a knock on AB or Smart (or Beverly)'s defensive abilities but it's more of a testament to how Steph Curry's game has grown a ton. And also Klay Thompson, who just set an NBA record in their game vs the Kings.

Beat me to the punch there Lil Rip. Curry has stepped into a superstar level player. He won't just beat us with his shooting, he can get to the rim and distribute. Klay is on another world as well. He's averaging 32 on 56% shooting his last five games, that's a tall order (pun intended). And that's just a couple of problems we need to solve on Sunday, the other would be actually trying to score against the Dubs.

I admire your optimism, and true, Curry and Thompson would be a good challenge. But let's be real here, it will take more than "okay games" to beat the Warriors. I would be all for AB and Mahcus holding Steph and/or Klay down, bringing them back to Earth, but we'd need great, great offense to pull this through, as that Golden State defense is top notch.

Trust me, I know this for a fact.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace