Author Topic: Back2Back Victories that will live in INFAMY  (Read 22916 times)

Re: Back2Back Victories that will live in INFAMY
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
We won because those teams undervalued our coach and players and because they were not at full strength.....It does suck.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 03:35:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
in the history of the Celtics. Why are we winning on the road against elite Western Conference teams?

Do we want to stay in the basement of the NBA for years to come. Even the Lakers are Tanking.

What is wrong with the people running the Celtics?

Why are we winning games we ought to lose?

For the life of me I don't understand this thought process.  Why do we want this team to lose?  If they start winning lots of games, even with players like Bass and Prince getting some minutes, doesn't that mean the team is better than we think they are?

Wouldn't you rather have a team of 20-24 year olds who win 40 games versus a similarly aged team that wins 14?  Why do you believe that we have to draft in the top 5 to get an impact player?  Why can't we add solid mid-draft talent and one potential FA/trade veteran to put this team back in contention?

Granted this Celtics team is probably not going to win 40 games, but what if they went .500 after the All-Star break.  Why is that BAD??

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »

Offline MarcusStart

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
in the history of the Celtics. Why are we winning on the road against elite Western Conference teams?

Do we want to stay in the basement of the NBA for years to come. Even the Lakers are Tanking.

For the life of me I don't understand this thought process.  Why do we want this team to lose?  If they start winning lots of games, even with players like Bass and Prince getting some minutes, doesn't that mean the team is better than we think they are?

Wouldn't you rather have a team of 20-24 year olds who win 40 games versus a similarly aged team that wins 14?  Why do you believe that we have to draft in the top 5 to get an impact player?  Why can't we add solid mid-draft talent and one potential FA/trade veteran to put this team back in contention?

Granted this Celtics team is probably not going to win 40 games, but what if they went .500 after the All-Star break.  Why is that BAD??

I can't see why people get so worked up about a bad team winning games. The Celtics will never win the lottery. History has show that you could find quality talent in the 5-10 slot and that any pick in the draft(even the first) does not guarantee anything. 2-5 extra wins doesn't really mean any thing right now.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

I can't see why people get so worked up about a bad team winning games. The Celtics will never win the lottery. History has show that you could find quality talent in the 5-10 slot and that any pick in the draft(even the first) does not guarantee anything. 2-5 extra wins doesn't really mean any thing right now.

Exactly:

Damian Lillard: 6th pick
Stephen Curry: 7th pick
Joakim Noah: 9th pick
Gordon Hayward: 9th pick
Paul George: 10th pick
Brook Lopez: 10th pick
Klay Thompson: 11th pick
Kawhi Leonard: 15th pick
Roy Hibert: 17th pick
Eric Bledsoe: 18th pick
Tobias Harris: 19th pick
Serge Ibaka: 24th pick
Kyle Lowry: 24th pick
Jimmy Butler: 30th pick
DeAndre Jordan: 35th pick
Chandler Parsons: 38th pick
Goran Dragic: 45th pick
Marc Gasol: 48th pick
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I m very glade of these victories .  The team needed faith they can win on the road in the west

The record was embarrassment against west coast teams

How many years ago since Celtics had back to back victories in the West?

Surely 2008 .

Btw ......you build a team from a Culture of winning FIRST ........you never want your team to be down ...knowing they are playing for nothing .......the players can't think like that ......that's not a way to inspire young minds .

It ok for the GM to think tank ...maybe

But you never want the coach and especially young players thinking loose first .....that purely stupid .

If you want the Celtics to lose , and they win instead ......please blame DANNY .....not the coach or players .....they are paid to win every game possible .....they are professionals

Only the GM and owners .can operate the team like a chess board and have a tanking situation .  By telling a coach to not play players or trade them

If the front office is not doing the above you have to believe the coach and players will do there best to win.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:56:21 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Exactly:

Thanks for the list, it's certainly a solid reason to curtail the tanking talk. If the C's were tanking we would never have won either of these games. The Celtics scratched and clawed for both of these wins, that's how you build a team. 

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Exactly:

How many of those guys are franchise players?
Gasol and  Steph Curry? Maybe Paul George.

Your list just proves a point.
Now list the best two players on championship teams over the last 20 years and see where they were picked.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Although they were games we should have lost on paper, you have to remember we won both games by 1 point on the final possession (one on defense, the other on offense) and Portland was without LA and Lopez while Denver is good but who's really surprised that we actually won there.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Exactly:

Now list the best two players on championship teams over the last 20 years and see where they were picked.

MarcusStart wrote: "History has show that you could find quality talent in the 5-10 slot". You want to "list the best two players on championship teams over the last 20 years and see where they were picked".

Boston Celtics, 2007-2008:

Kevin Garnett: 5th pick
Ray Allen: 5th pick
Paul Pierce: 10th pick
Rajon Rondo: 21th pick
Kendrick Perkins: 27th pick
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Exactly:

Here are the last 10 years of the draft's top 3 picks, listing where the teams were pre-lottery.  In other words 1,2,3 means the teams with the worst, 2nd worst and 3rd worst records picked first, second and third.

2014 - 9, 1, 2
2013 - 3, 1, 8
2012 - 4, 1, 2
2011 - 8, 1, 6
2010 - 5, 6, 1
2009 - 3, 6, 4
2008 - 9, 1, 3
2007 - 7, 5, 4
2006 - 5, 2, 3
2005 - 6, 1, 4

There's value in tanking for the worst record but even then, that team has missed the top 3 three times in 10 years.  The number 2 pick has missed SEVEN TIMES!!!  Meanwhile, teams in pre-lottery spots 6-9 have jumped into the top 3 eight times.

It's worth tanking to get the worst record and it's worth it to tank your way to the 8th or 9th worst record instead of 13 or 14.  Beyond that, there's no point in worrying about it.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think of Pearl Harbor when I think of infamy, using it for slipping in the NBA draft doesn't strike me as correct or proper usage.

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 12:36:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Exactly:

Here's a list of guys who have been among the top two players on a champion in the last twenty years picked outside the top 5:

Clyde Drexler, 14th
Kobe Bryant, 13th
Ben Wallace, undrafted
Tony Parker, 28th
Manu Ginobili, 57th
Paul Pierce, 10th
Dirk Nowitzki, 9th
Kawhi Leonard, 15th

Here's a list of guys who were drafted in the top five, but were top two players on championship teams other than the one they were drafted by:

Shaquille O'Neal, 1st
Chauncey Billups, 3rd
Kevin Garnett, 5th
Pau Gasol, 3rd
Tyson Chandler, 2nd
Lebron James, 1st

Here's a complete list of players who were among the top two players on championship teams who were drafted in the top five by the team they won a title/s with over the course of the past twenty years. 

Hakeem Olajuwon
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Dwayne Wade

*Note that only two of the six players on this last list have won titles in this century. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

I'm not saying anything.  You can just cry yourself to sleep.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Exactly:

Here's a list of guys who have been among the top two players on a champion in the last twenty years picked outside the top 5:

Clyde Drexler, 14th
Kobe Bryant, 13th
Ben Wallace, undrafted
Tony Parker, 28th
Manu Ginobili, 57th
Paul Pierce, 10th
Dirk Nowitzki, 9th
Kawhi Leonard, 15th

Here's a list of guys who were drafted in the top five, but were top two players on championship teams other than the one they were drafted by:

Shaquille O'Neal, 1st
Chauncey Billups, 3rd
Kevin Garnett, 5th
Pau Gasol, 3rd
Tyson Chandler, 2nd
Lebron James, 1st

Here's a complete list of players who were among the top two players on championship teams who were drafted in the top five by the team they won a title/s with over the course of the past twenty years. 

Hakeem Olajuwon
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Dwayne Wade

*Note that only two of the six players on this last list have won titles in this century.
Appreciate the research (TP).  I would add Richard Hamilton to the list (7th pick) and Jason Kidd (2nd).

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Hakeem Olajuwon
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Dwayne Wade

Doesn't matter much but Pippen was actually drafted by the Sonics; he was a draft-day trade.  TP for putting the list together.