Author Topic: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas  (Read 44405 times)

Re: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Does anyone remember the protections on the Dallas pick? They are in seventh in the west!
They are also what, 10 games ahead of the 9th spot? This pick isn't happening for us this year.
I'm surprised OKC can't get it together. I guess that's what happens when you have a terrible coach and just take turns playing ISO ball. I know they started slow because of injuries, but I was hoping they would catch up, Phoenix would keep rising, and Dallas would fall

Wishful thinking, ha!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Does anyone remember the protections on the Dallas pick? They are in seventh in the west!
They are also what, 10 games ahead of the 9th spot? This pick isn't happening for us this year.

5 1/2 from 9th
6 1/2 from 10th

The OKC and NO losses to inferior competetion the other night hurt them and Davis strained his groin. If he is hampered at all by this going forward, their chances are likely gone.

I would still expect Dallas to bounce back but it's certainly no lock.

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2015, 07:21:52 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I'm surprised OKC can't get it together. I guess that's what happens when you have a terrible coach and just take turns playing ISO ball. I know they started slow because of injuries, but I was hoping they would catch up, Phoenix would keep rising, and Dallas would fall

Wishful thinking, ha!

it might end up being a blessing in disguise if dallas makes the playoffs this year - those guys are all going to be a year older next season, and there could be  a much bigger drop-off, rondo seems to be  regressing, chandler is getting older, and i don't think dirk will be effective much longer... there's also a chance rondo, chandler, or ellis leaves in free agency. if they get blown out in the first round of the playoffs and then sense that dirk is done, and parsons is the only decent player under contract next year, they might leave for greener pastures.

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2015, 08:36:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Wishful thinking, ha!

it might end up being a blessing in disguise if dallas makes the playoffs this year - those guys are all going to be a year older next season, and there could be  a much bigger drop-off, rondo seems to be  regressing, chandler is getting older, and i don't think dirk will be effective much longer... there's also a chance rondo, chandler, or ellis leaves in free agency. if they get blown out in the first round of the playoffs and then sense that dirk is done, and parsons is the only decent player under contract next year, they might leave for greener pastures.
That's a fair assessment of the situation.  The pick is still top 7 protected for 2016 but even if the returning players decline and Rondo leaves, they won't be a bottom 7 team.

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I grabbed this from a comment on the article on the front page:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2347977-rajon-rondo-and-dallas-mavericks-arent-living-up-to-each-others-expectations?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=dallas-mavericks

This is exactly what I and others have been saying for several years about Rondo's game but it seems that now that he is in Dallas, it is getting more coverage.

I don't get that.  Why is this being recognized all of the sudden?  Rondo is no different in Dallas than he ever was here in Boston (except FT% is much worse).  Seems strange to me.

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2015, 05:06:31 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I grabbed this from a comment on the article on the front page:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2347977-rajon-rondo-and-dallas-mavericks-arent-living-up-to-each-others-expectations?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=dallas-mavericks

This is exactly what I and others have been saying for several years about Rondo's game but it seems that now that he is in Dallas, it is getting more coverage.

I don't get that.  Why is this being recognized all of the sudden?  Rondo is no different in Dallas than he ever was here in Boston (except FT% is much worse).  Seems strange to me.

Maybe because one it's Bleacher Report (it's improved, but still has a ways to go.) And number two, maybe people see more problems with the Mavs than Rondo.

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2015, 05:14:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't think Rondo has changed the win / loss column either way significantly .    If Rondo can shoot decent , which has always been his down side maybe their better ...

The Mavs fortunes are still based on Dirk. ...forever more ....when he is gone ......the rebuild starts .

He ll only be worse next year , not better.   And he has to still play another 40 games or more this year.   

All it takes is for him to roll an ankle and Mavs are .....finished ..out of the playoffs

Team is too fragile .

« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Dallas wins by 21 and holds Miami to only 72 points.  That will help their defensive rating and add fodder to the "Rondo has improved their defense" argument.

Did anyone see the game?  What really went on?  Rondo only played 23 minutes and was -3 in overall +/- in a game that they won by 21.  He was 2-4, no 3s or FT, 4 rebs, 4 assists, 2 TO.  Must have been a very strange game.

« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Dallas wins by 21 and holds Miami to only 72 points.  That will help their defensive rating and add fodder to the "Rondo has improved their defense" argument.

Did anyone see the game?  What really went on?  Rondo only played 23 minutes and was -3 in overall +/- in a game that they won by 21.  He was 2-4, no 3s or FT, 4 rebs, 4 assists, 2 TO.  Must have been a very strange game.

Well, it couldn't have been too impactful of a performance since this thread started towards the end of the game.

http://mavericks.scout.com/forums/2144-mavericks-discussion/13618326-the-rondo-trade-was-a-total-disaster?s=268

« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Well, it couldn't have been too impactful of a performance since this thread started towards the end of the game.

http://mavericks.scout.com/forums/2144-mavericks-discussion/13618326-the-rondo-trade-was-a-total-disaster?s=268
boy, after reading what passes for discussion on that thread i am glad i am a member of cb.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

boy, after reading what passes for discussion on that thread i am glad i am a member of cb.

I may be a bit bias, but CB by far has some of the most basketball intelligent people that comment. Yeah we can be a bit hyperbolic at times with some of our stances, but in all some of the topics and comments can be informative.

« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I may be a bit bias, but CB by far has some of the most basketball intelligent people that comment. Yeah we can be a bit hyperbolic at times with some of our stances, but in all some of the topics and comments can be informative.

I watched the 4th quarter last night.  Miami was up 14, then they couldn't throw the ball in the ocean in the 4th.  Horrible turnovers.  They were limiting Whiteside's minutes and Villanueva caught fire for Dallas.  Miami had 2 points in something like the first 8 minutes.  No sign of Rondo.  Miami couldn't keep up with Harris.  Dirk was ice cold too.
Yup