Author Topic: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas  (Read 44535 times)

Re: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Jesus, 8 pages on a Rondo thread after he's not even on the team...
dont worry. i am positive that very soon everyone in this thread will change their minds and emotions, find beauty in the viewpoints of other posters, and live in harmony. after all, no one sane would keep repeating, and repeating, and repeating the same arguments again and again when the responses of other posters never change.  ;D
Tp brought a smile to my face for sure
Rondo doing well tonight and a big side note Powell is looking good with rotation minutes on a better team than the celts

Yeah, Powell's looked good. Kid's a gamer.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Miss ol T Ball Tim......Ha ....ya 'll run him plum off the blog .

Nah, haven't had time to get on the blog much. Plus, less interested in these debates since I haven't really seen much of Rondo on the Mavs. I guess I'm not as obsessed with Rondo as many of his detractors have always been. I have to admit, though, the "Rondo's playing poorly now so that means I was right about him years ago" posts are pretty amusing. I guess it's never too late to try and salvage whatever pride would have gone along with winning those arguments.

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2015, 11:13:22 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Nah, haven't had time to get on the blog much. Plus, less interested in these debates since I haven't really seen much of Rondo on the Mavs. I guess I'm not as obsessed with Rondo as many of his detractors have always been. I have to admit, though, the "Rondo's playing poorly now so that means I was right about him years ago" posts are pretty amusing. I guess it's never too late to try and salvage whatever pride would have gone along with winning those arguments.

Yes, you're SOOOOOOO much better than those other posters.

Mike

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2015, 11:36:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Well ....glory be .......glade your back  :D

Nothing wrong with stick n to your guns ....

Now go get em tiger !

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2015, 11:45:16 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Personally I think Dallas is worse since the Rondo trade. Rondo is better than any of the pieces that they traded, but Dallas is missing Crowder and Wright's energy off the bench. Rondo easily fills Nelsons shoes but the Dallas bench definitely took a hit losing the the other two.

« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2015, 11:57:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
dont worry. i am positive that very soon everyone in this thread will change their minds and emotions, find beauty in the viewpoints of other posters, and live in harmony. after all, no one sane would keep repeating, and repeating, and repeating the same arguments again and again when the responses of other posters never change.  ;D

I'm very open to be proven wrong. So far it's not happening. I'll give it until the end of the year.

Actually I think Rondo has been better in Dallas than you predicted.  Your initial assessment was that there was a chance Dallas could fall out of the playoffs, was it not? And that this would happen due to Rondo's ball dominance messing up chemistry with Monta Ellis.  In this thread you've changed that tune and are now expecting Dallas to make the playoffs.

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I'm very open to be proven wrong. So far it's not happening. I'll give it until the end of the year.

Actually I think Rondo has been better in Dallas than you predicted.  Your initial assessment was that there was a chance Dallas could fall out of the playoffs, was it not? And that this would happen due to Rondo's ball dominance messing up chemistry with Monta Ellis.  In this thread you've changed that tune and are now expecting Dallas to make the playoffs.
I said there was a chance they could miss the playoffs. Unlikely but there is a chance.  There is still a chance. They have been worse since the trade.

That said, Rondo had a great game tonight.  Ellis did too.  Mavs lost, but they played about as good as you can hope.  But was this just the 1 out of 5 games rondo hits shots or a sign of something more?  My guess is they will continue to struggle unless they give rondo the keys.

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

And the fact that you name dropped Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook in a discussion about rondo highlights why this debate persists. Rondo had never been on that level.  The fact that some folks here overrated him and insisted on comparing him to vastly superior guards is why you have "haters" pointing out how untrue it is.   Ive never hated rondo as a player. I just saw him for the lovable flawed player he was and others didn't. By the end of the season, this debate will officially be dead one way or the other.

From some time in 2009 until his knee injury in 2013, Rajon Rondo was consistently one of the top point guards in the league.  He was absolutely up there in the discussion with the likes of Westbrook and Paul.

Does the fact that players like Deron Williams and Derrick Rose are struggling to return to previous form mean that they were never great players?

Of course it doesn't.

Rondo has struggled since his knee injury.  The possibility is high that he will never come close to being the player he was before his injury.  That's a sad part of the sports world. 

I still root for him to have some more glory moments before he hangs up his high tops.  Time will tell.

I do, however, take exception to the revisionist history on his impact for the Boston Celtics and his status as a player in the league prior to his injury. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

And the fact that you name dropped Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook in a discussion about rondo highlights why this debate persists. Rondo had never been on that level.  The fact that some folks here overrated him and insisted on comparing him to vastly superior guards is why you have "haters" pointing out how untrue it is.   Ive never hated rondo as a player. I just saw him for the lovable flawed player he was and others didn't. By the end of the season, this debate will officially be dead one way or the other.

From some time in 2009 until his knee injury in 2013, Rajon Rondo was consistently one of the top point guards in the league.  He was absolutely up there in the discussion with the likes of Westbrook and Paul.

Does the fact that players like Deron Williams and Derrick Rose are struggling to return to previous form mean that they were never great players?

Of course it doesn't.

Rondo has struggled since his knee injury.  The possibility is high that he will never come close to being the player he was before his injury.  That's a sad part of the sports world. 

I still root for him to have some more glory moments before he hangs up his high tops.  Time will tell.

I do, however, take exception to the revisionist history on his impact for the Boston Celtics and his status as a player in the league prior to his injury.

Rondo's inability to shoot has always put him on a tier below Paul in my opinion but Rondo was consistently the best passing and rebounding PG in the league.

The problem now is that post-injury Rondo wants to be paid as if he can still perform at his pre-injury level.   
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
So we're just going to ignore the fact that Rondo has dramatically improved Dallas's defense?

What is this "fact" based on?
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2015, 01:58:35 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Of course it doesn't.

Rondo's inability to shoot has always put him on a tier below Paul in my opinion but Rondo was consistently the best passing and rebounding PG in the league.

The problem now is that post-injury Rondo wants to be paid as if he can still perform at his pre-injury level.   

Of course he wants to get paid.  The thing is, though, I've never heard Rondo make any public statements declaring his own monetary worth. 

We'll see what he gets paid this off-season. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:11 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

Of course it doesn't.

Of course he wants to get paid.  The thing is, though, I've never heard Rondo make any public statements declaring his own monetary worth. 

I agree....I can't say that I've heard Rondo make any demands about a max contract. 

Regarding what he gets paid this off-season, I expect it to be considerably less than what Rondo thought he could get a year ago. 

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
Rondos next contract should have incentives to hit free throws.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2015, 11:30:52 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
So we're just going to ignore the fact that Rondo has dramatically improved Dallas's defense?

What is this "fact" based on?

DRtg.

Per Dallas fans, Rondo plugs a hole in their perimeter defense, guarding quick guards well and closing out on 3's well. Dallas fans are love-hating him...but also loving his defense right now.

Rondos next contract should have incentives to hit free throws.

I think he should get the max contract...except only receive a percentage of it equal to his season free throw percentage.

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2015, 11:30:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Of course it doesn't.

I agree....I can't say that I've heard Rondo make any demands about a max contract. 

Regarding what he gets paid this off-season, I expect it to be considerably less than what Rondo thought he could get a year ago.

He may have screwed himself .   Had he played like he gave a flip .....led the team....played defense .......given what DA paid AB.......he might have got more from DA ....than what he is looking at ...if the Mavs go down fast in Playoffs