Author Topic: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas  (Read 44565 times)

Re: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 04:49:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I find it highly entertaining to read about the player Mavs fans thought they were getting (ultra athletic player who continually breaks down the D, lives in the paint, and either scores or sets up teammates for open looks) and the one they actually got (a player who has lost a lot of explosiveness, prefers to hold the ball and rack up assists as teammates get open via off ball action and not necessarily because of his ability to penetrate). That was probably the biggest difference in their expectations vs realization.

Yes, and those fans will be absent (or cheering vociferously) as DAL advances.

Us fans change like the weather.

Just like CelticsBlog (and many other Blogs) it is so easy to take a snapshot at what we may see at the moment, instead of what is to come.

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Rondo is a very good player.  We've seen it and there is no denying it.  The difference is effort.  What I see here is total lack of interest in the game.  I don't think his heart is in it anymore.  I think he's become a paycheck player.  If Kobe end up getting him, it may spark that passion again.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wasn't Rondo traded like half a season ago?

WHO CARES ANYMORE?!?!?!?!?

He's not a Celtic anymore. Let it go.

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

What's a Rondo?
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Obligatory Frozen reference...sorry guys

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Alot of long posts to state what LarBird33 and I said BEFORE the trade was made:

1. Rondo wasnt making any difference on our team..and certainly not worth a max deal (rebuild)
2. The Mavs would get better on defense (sans Jameer) but have isues on offense (space)
3. The Mavs would welcome the rebounding and loathe the shooting/FTS

Really, how difficult was it to make those calls afteer REALLY watching Rondo pre-trade?

Its human nature to have your senses clouded by past glory...its also why so many couples have on and off relationships. Forget the past and look forward.

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
A lot of people here hate Rondo... and love Hinkie. True Celts.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
For the record, I don't hate him.   Sure, it's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated... but I don't hate him.   I'm looking forward to seeing him continue the Antoine Walker trajectory... exposed in Dallas... bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston in a publicity stunt where he wears #99 and helps us make the playoffs... Dumped again... A couple more awkward seasons as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.

I'm mostly just looking forward to the sarcastic Miracle Johan song upon his second arrival.   http://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/track/welcome-home-antoine-walker  ... "And out of the blue here comes RAJON RONDO.... RAJON RONDO.... RAJON RONDO... WEllLLcooomeHoooome"

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Rondo is shooting free throws at 24% in Dallas. 

Anybody hear from bball tim lately?

Nelson wasn't benched last night. 

Celtics have been making some good trades lately.

Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
For the record, I don't hate him.   Sure, it's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated... but I don't hate him.   I'm looking forward to seeing him continue the Antoine Walker trajectory... exposed in Dallas... bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston in a publicity stunt where he wears #99 and helps us make the playoffs... Dumped again... A couple more awkward seasons as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.

I'm mostly just looking forward to the sarcastic Miracle Johan song upon his second arrival.   http://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/track/welcome-home-antoine-walker  ... "And out of the blue here comes RAJON RONDO.... RAJON RONDO.... RAJON RONDO... WEllLLcooomeHoooome"

LOL I bet you weren't posting this from 09-12 when he was arguably our best player....pls stop man I have tears in my eyes ;D

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Rondo is shooting free throws at 24% in Dallas. 

Anybody hear from bball tim lately?

Nelson wasn't benched last night. 

Celtics have been making some good trades lately.
There aren't a lot of perceived "stars" that Boston has traded and regretted.   Al Jefferson maybe the only one.  Typically when we trade a guy, people lose their mind about it (Toine, Gerald Green, Perk) and the guy is exposed as mediocre.   

Tony Allen had an ok career.   Courtney Lee is playing fairly well.   But there aren't a lot of guys in the Ainge era that we abandoned and regretted.  Rondo and Green will be no different.

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Here are a few facts about Rondo's impact in Dallas I posted the other day in another thread.

Per 82games, which I used just because they are the easiest to sort through, particularly on a phone, Rondo has the following Drtg and Ortg:

Dallas Drtg on court (294 minutes): 96.8
Dallas Drtg off court (1453 minutes): 109.7

Dallas Ortg on court (294 minutes): 110.6
Dallas Ortg off Court (1453 minutes): 117.0

Drtg +/- (-12.8 )
Ortg +/- (-6.4)
Net +/- (+6.4)

The conclusion that can be drawn here is that Rondo has had a negative impact on the Mavs overall offensive efficiency. Without Rondo Dallas was playing at a other-worldly good efficiency on offense. But even with Rondo, they are still very good on offense.

However, when looking at the astounding impact Rondo has had on the Mavs defense, in which they went from being utterly terrible to one of the best defensive units in the league with Rondo on the court, it becomes evident the good more than outweighs the bad.

Bottom line is, Dallas is still a highly efficient offense with Rondo, bit is now also a very good defensive team with Rondo as well. Rondo has had a net impact of +6.4 points per 100 possessions, in terms of on/off numbers, when you consider both sides of the ball.

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Here are a few facts about Rondo's impact in Dallas I posted the other day in another thread.

Per 82games, which I used just because they are the easiest to sort through, particularly on a phone, Rondo has the following Drtg and Ortg:

Dallas Drtg on court (294 minutes): 96.8
Dallas Drtg off court (1453 minutes): 109.7

Dallas Ortg on court (294 minutes): 110.6
Dallas Ortg off Court (1453 minutes): 117.0

Drtg +/- (-12.8 )
Ortg +/- (-6.4)
Net +/- (+6.4)

The conclusion that can be drawn here is that Rondo has had a negative impact on the Mavs overall offensive efficiency. Without Rondo Dallas was playing at a other-worldly good efficiency on offense. But even with Rondo, they are still very good on offense.

However, when looking at the astounding impact Rondo has had on the Mavs defense, in which they went from being utterly terrible to one of the best defensive units in the league with Rondo on the court, it becomes evident the good more than outweighs the bad.

Bottom line is, Dallas is still a highly efficient offense with Rondo, bit is now also a very good defensive team with Rondo as well. Rondo has had a net impact of +6.4 points per 100 possessions, in terms of on/off numbers, when you consider both sides of the ball.

Now if I could just get LarBrd33 to acknowledge THIS POST...................

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 06:10:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

LOL I bet you weren't posting this from 09-12 when he was arguably our best player....
Well... yeah... i was.  I never felt like he was our best player.  It was pretty clear to me that KG and Pierce were better than him up until their final year here.  We were below .500 with Rondo having arguably his best statistical season, he gets injured, and we rally to make the playoffs.  I always felt Rondo was benefiting from the players surrounding him and the system we installed that catered to his strengths and masked his weaknesses. 

He definitely had great moments.  Good player.  If a team wants to tailer an offense to his strengths, bring in lots of shooters, find bigs who can stretch the floor with consistent mid-range shots, allow Rondo to dominate the ball so he's never in a situation where he negatively impacts spacing... you might see some big performances again.

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think it's interesting to talk about Rondo because before the knee injury, you could make the a argument Rondo was becoming one of the special players in the league.  He was the best passing and rebounding pg in the league, could play great defense and was capable of giving you single-game performances on the same level as LeBron and Durant.

That guy is nowhere to be seen and hasn't been around for a while.

I expected Rondo to come in and tear it up this season.  He was going to be the unquestioned leader of a team playing at a faster pace than Boston ever had with Rondo before, and he was on a team full of players you'd think a pg like Rondo could make them look better than what they are.  Instead, Rondo dogged his way into a trade.

Now he's on a team that wants to think it's a contender and, sure, he improves their defense.  They could have replaced Jameer Nelson with a mailbox and it would have improved their defense.  Shouldn't Rondo at this point in his career be more than an inferior version of Tony Allen?

Mike