Author Topic: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas  (Read 44532 times)

Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12220179/rajon-rondo-benching-crunch-coach-decision-rick-carlisle-says

Rondo has not been playing so well in Dallas and I wonder if they will let him walk this offseason. You know some desperate team like LA or NY is going to offer him a big deal and Dallas has to be wondering if it's really worth it. At this point the 5 year supermax is out of the question for a player producing so little, so are they willing to match or come close to what competing teams will offer?

I know Rondo would prefer to win but if no competitive team's offer is that high, what then? He's been playing on a below market deal while guys worse than him have been making a lot more. Also, he was lucky enough to win a title his second year in the league so this time could just be about the money. I think Dallas would be more than willing to work a sign and trade and get something back for him.

The other possibility is Rondo re-signs for one year in Dallas to qualify for the extra percentage max deal, and also take advantage of the cap rise. The hope there from Dallas' side is that a full training camp will help Rondo gel with his teammates.

Re: Rondo benched down the stretch in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Rondo

Doesn't seem interested in basketball anymore to me .

It's a job and not a passion .

I think he is going to find another career.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No big deal.

When DAL beat MEM in MEM on MLK day, there were no threads about Rondo's play then.

He played down the stretch, in clutch, and was key to their win in MEM.

Last night? Like Coach Carlylse stated - "Coach's Decision"....had nothing to do with Rondo's play.

DAL is now tied for 4th spot in the west, and only 1 game out of the 2nd spot. They are only 6 1/2 games behind GSW (which I believe is over-rated, BTW).

DAL has done well with Rondo...not knocking the OP of the thread specifically, but some on the Blog would love to believe that DAL is doing this DESPITE Rondo - they are doing it WITH Rondo and because of Rondo.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Everyone said Rondo would be crazy to sign the base extension that the Celtics could offer this off season (3 year extension for $45M added to this season's $13M).  If he doesn't play better and soon, he is going to have trouble even matching that.  Sounds like Kobe still wants him so I am sure that Rondo will find a well paid job for the next few years.

Let's see if he beats 4 years, $60M though.  It seems like there is always at least one crazy GM out there ready to overpay so Rondo will probably get his money.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
No big deal.

When DAL beat MEM in MEM on MLK day, there were no threads about Rondo's play then.

Last night? Like Coach Carlylse stated - "Coach's Decision"....had nothing to do with Rondo's play.

DAL is now tied for 4th spot in the west, and only 1 game out of the 2nd spot. They are only 6 1/2 games behind GSW (which I believe is over-rated, BTW).

DAL has done well with Rondo...not knocking the OP of the thread specifically, but some on the Blog would love to believe that DAL is doing this DESPITE Rondo - they are doing it WITH Rondo and because of Rondo.

Rondo has been with them 16 games and they are 10-6 in those games. They were 20-8 when Rondo joined the team, so yes, they are doing well with Rondo but they were doing a hell of lot better without him.

And as for him personally doing well, almost all of his advanced metrics are down since the trade.

A part of the Dallas downturn, is that incorporating a new floor general will take sometime, so I expect them to bounce back a bit. However, the team's numbers and Rondo's personal numbers do not support your statements.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Dallas is doing no better with Rondo than they did with Jameer Nelson.  Jameer Nelson has been generally rated as useless or horrible by posters here.

Last night, the Mavs did no better playing with Rondo than they did with Devin Harris and the coach decided their chances of winning were better if he played Harris down the stretch.

It could have been match-ups or maybe Rondo had a cold or something; I don't know why Carlisle chose to play Harris but there is absolutely nothing that supports your claim that they are winning because of Rondo.  He has had some good games but his play has been in general more of a "meh".

Being traded and inserted into a new team is hard.  It takes a little while for any player, even one as smart as Rondo to fully acclimate so things may change but so far, Rondo has not been that good that often.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:35:07 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
No big deal.

Rondo has been with them 16 games and they are 10-6 in those games. They were 20-8 when Rondo joined the team, so yes, they are doing well with Rondo but they were doing a hell of lot better without him.

And as for him personally doing well, almost all of his advanced metrics are down since the trade.

A part of the Dallas downturn, is that incorporating a new floor general will take sometime, so I expect them to bounce back a bit. However, the team's numbers and Rondo's personal numbers do not support your statements.

I took a look at the over-all picture.

Regardless of the countless (and sometimes meaningless) metrics or statistics out there in sports nowadays, DAL is tied for 4th place, and only 6 1/2 games out of 1st.

We can number-crunch all we want, but sometimes you have to look at big picture.

Plus, they've made a HUGE jump defensively as a team, so that will prove key down the stretch in the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
No big deal.

Regardless of the countless (and sometimes meaningless) metrics or statistics out there in sports nowadays, DAL is tied for 4th place, and only 6 1/2 games out of 1st.

We can number-crunch all we want, but sometimes you have to look at big picture.

Plus, they've made a HUGE jump defensively as a team, so that will prove key down the stretch in the playoffs.

Yes, they are in 4th place, but they were in third in the west when the deal is made. No matter which measurement you want to use, they were better pre-Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No big deal.

Yes, they are in 4th place, but they were in third in the west when the deal is made. No matter which measurement you want to use, they were better pre-Rondo.

They're 11-6 with Rondo, 11-5 in games that he has played and was benched last night in a game they lost.

To say they're worse with Rondo is semi-ridiculous, especially come playoff time when Dirk and Rondo are two starters to beat Lebron in a 7 game series and win a championship.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
No big deal.

Rondo had 6pts and 1 assist (ONE!!!) in that game.  That's not anything to crow about. 
Dallas isn't doing anything better "because of Rondo".  I initially thought that it was a good trade for Dallas but Rondo is under-performing.     
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
No big deal.

You make generalized statements.

Please read what I posted...bloggers here sometimes have a habit of ignoring what's been posted and only focusing on what they want to.

DAL is better defensively with Rondo and that will help them in the post-season. We can number-crunch the standings pre-Rondo and post all you want.

Those who've historically disliked Rondo on here will pick and choose what they want. That oftentimes skews that facts that are evident.

Monta Ellis is playing better, Dirk and Tyson are playing well (and have Championship-experience, BTW), and they added Parsons.

Shore up their bench some and DAL will go deep in the playoffs.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
No big deal.

Rondo had 6pts and 1 assist (ONE!!!) in that game.  That's not anything to crow about. 
Dallas isn't doing anything better "because of Rondo".  I initially thought that it was a good trade for Dallas but Rondo is under-performing.   

Hmmm....those 6pts and 1 assists (ONE!!!) seem so similar to what his statistics looked like in BOS in 07-08......

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Everyone said Rondo would be crazy to sign the base extension that the Celtics could offer this off season (3 year extension for $45M added to this season's $13M).  If he doesn't play better and soon, he is going to have trouble even matching that.  Sounds like Kobe still wants him so I am sure that Rondo will find a well paid job for the next few years.

Let's see if he beats 4 years, $60M though.  It seems like there is always at least one crazy GM out there ready to overpay so Rondo will probably get his money.

Yeah, if Rondo can't tighten up his scoring some ... it's hard to see him doing any better than $12-15 million per annum.

Rondo used to be an above average interior scorer, transition scorer, cutter and turned himself into an average midrange shooter. That is all gone right now. Now Rondo is well below average in every possible scoring area.

Replacing those positive scoring contributions with further negative scoring contributions (in addition to outside shooting + FT shooting [worse than ever]) has made him more hurtful than ever before in terms of lack scoring / shooting.

At least in recent peak years, Rondo did some good things scoring wise to make up for other scoring weaknesses (outside shooting, FT shooting). Now he does nothing. Rondo needs to get back to those levels to put himself in the frame for a $17-20mil per annum payday.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
No big deal.

You make generalized statements.

Please read what I posted...bloggers here sometimes have a habit of ignoring what's been posted and only focusing on what they want to.

DAL is better defensively with Rondo and that will help them in the post-season. We can number-crunch the standings pre-Rondo and post all you want.

Those who've historically disliked Rondo on here will pick and choose what they want. That oftentimes skews that facts that are evident.

Monta Ellis is playing better, Dirk and Tyson are playing well (and have Championship-experience, BTW), and they added Parsons.

Shore up their bench some and DAL will go deep in the playoffs.

Is that a fact?  Just wondering how you know that.  He didn't play much defense here so did he really change his ways in DAL and is actually playing hard? 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 12:44:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
No big deal.

They're much better defensively and that's why the Mavs wanted him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4704392/a-shot-at-explaining-coachs-decision-for-rondos-clutch-benching

"The Mavs' offensive efficiency has slipped from sky-high before the trade to pretty good since Rondo's arrival. Their defensive efficiency has improved dramatically, addressing a glaring need for the Mavs, but Rondo didn't have a great night on that end, either, as evidenced by Bulls point guard Derrick Rose's 20 points, 18 of which were scored in the first half."