Author Topic: The current state of the Brooklyn Nets  (Read 9727 times)

Re: The current state of the Brooklyn Nets
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

If you owned the nets, what would you do?

I'd sit tight for a few years and just try to get my stars, who absolutely still have value, healthy again.

I'd keep picking up the phone when Charlotte calls about Lance Stephenson trades, but pretty soon I'm going to have three big contracts that are (1) proven players, (2) 1-2 years from expiration and (3) not nearly as big a cap hit as they were under the present CBA.

It's boring, guys, but right now is the absolute worst time for the Nets to be fire-saling anyone not named Kevin Garnett.

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Cry!  The russian owner gambled it all on and went all in, it did not work and now the future is mortgaged.

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

I'd sit tight for a few years and just try to get my stars, who absolutely still have value, healthy again.

I'd keep picking up the phone when Charlotte calls about Lance Stephenson trades, but pretty soon I'm going to have three big contracts that are (1) proven players, (2) 1-2 years from expiration and (3) not nearly as big a cap hit as they were under the present CBA.

It's boring, guys, but right now is the absolute worst time for the Nets to be fire-saling anyone not named Kevin Garnett.
Right now is a really good time to firesale for about 50M reasons.  He's selling the team, they're way into the luxury tax.  They've paid tax for 2 years, which means tax this year could impact tax next year.  And to top it all of, they're not competitive.

If you give away Lopez and Garnett for nothing, you pocket 50M and clean up the books for the next owner.  That's what I'd do.

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Thanks for posting TP.

Certainly is going to be an interesting few years with these Brooklyn picks Especially if new owners come in.

Makes me wonder why the Kings are so interested in plumlee. ..wwonder if owner is sick of cousins at all...oor they like Williams too much...

I think there is some idea that Cousins and Plumlee could play together, and that Plumlee can play some 4.

The reason why the Nets are reticent on dumping contracts is because they still are not going to have cap flexibility next year if they only dump one of the contracts, and they only have a one or two good young pieces and they can't afford to lose them given their lack of assets.

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Right now is a really good time to firesale for about 50M reasons.  He's selling the team, they're way into the luxury tax.  They've paid tax for 2 years, which means tax this year could impact tax next year.  And to top it all of, they're not competitive.

If you give away Lopez and Garnett for nothing, you pocket 50M and clean up the books for the next owner.  That's what I'd do.

There is only one team in the league who could take Lopez or Garnett and not have to send back salary.  Philly.  Think they're interested?

Even next year, there are only about 12 teams that will be far enough under the cap to take Lopez, Johnson or Williams without having to send salary back.

Mike

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

There is only one team in the league who could take Lopez or Garnett and not have to send back salary.  Philly.  Think they're interested?

Even next year, there are only about 12 teams that will be far enough under the cap to take Lopez, Johnson or Williams without having to send salary back.

Mike

Rondo TPE? Not that I think it'll happen, or want it too.

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Thanks for posting TP.

Certainly is going to be an interesting few years with these Brooklyn picks Especially if new owners come in.

Makes me wonder why the Kings are so interested in plumlee. ..wwonder if owner is sick of cousins at all...oor they like Williams too much...

I think there is some idea that Cousins and Plumlee could play together, and that Plumlee can play some 4.

Other way around actually, they think Cousins could thrive as a monster 4.

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Mike
Not true.  With our exceptions:

Nets, Celtics, Team x

Team X acquires Lopez
Celtics take on salary from Team X with trade exceptions, to accommodate CBA
Celtics send fodder to BKN (any player) for CBA
(Hopefully)Celtics acquire pick from Team X

Brooklyn saves 40m