Author Topic: The current state of the Brooklyn Nets  (Read 9722 times)

Re: The current state of the Brooklyn Nets
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 12:27:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
D Will is one of those players that is like a bad omen or virus.  Team chemistry and coach killer.

Nothing good can come from him being on a TEAM first organization.  Value ...nothing .

Cherolinko old scrub . 

The combination of DWill fragile body and low mental tuff ness. And Brooke Lopez injury prone body .......doomed the Nets .    It was not KG or Pierce fault . 

The Star players Lopez and DWill with the huge letdown. Along with a over stressed Kidd blew it up.

Jack and Plumlee are the team ,  what's worth keeping

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Really interesting article. Those picks are really looking great. The nets are going to shed payroll and not care about how bad they are because they are selling the team.
Right. And until that happens, they won't get max value for that team.

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm telling you, they're going to have an all out firesale.  If they can give away Lopez, Johnson, Williams, or Garnett, they have to do it.  Boston makes it possible to do one of these deals with anyone who's interested. Danny would have to get one heck of an asset in return though, to aid in any BKN deal.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
We could use our TPEs to help OKC get Lopez and BKN shed salary:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p54guh5

No picks have to go anywhere (as if they could). We waive Pressey/Dawkins, buy out Prince and have a 15 man roster. Hopefully we can move Bass and/or Thornton at the deadline and have some flexibility to deal more at the deadline. Let's hear it for the carousel of progress!

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm still bummed that they passed on re-signing Pierce this past summer. With LeBron's jump back to Cleveland and the Pacers losing George, I was sure the Nets would have gotten the band back together for another run. Or maybe I'm just so used to seeing KG & Paul together.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

No picks have to go anywhere (as if they could). We waive Pressey/Dawkins, buy out Prince and have a 15 man roster. Hopefully we can move Bass and/or Thornton at the deadline and have some flexibility to deal more at the deadline. Let's hear it for the carousel of progress!
That's interesting. I keep thinking that the CBA requires the nets to take more salary than that back, but it actually just says that they can take back up to a given amount.  Back to the trade machine.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 05:32:44 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

The Nets killed a potential deal to dump Williams longer deal onto the Kings because Sacramento insisted on Plumlee, so they aren't going to include him to get rid of Lopez who makes 8M less than Williams, has 1 or 2 (depending on whether he exercises his option) years left on his deal, and is thus much easier to move.

If the Nets change their minds and do decide to use Plumlee to dump some unwanted contracts, they'll resume talks with the Kings or another team willing to absorb Williams contract as that deal is the biggest albatross around their necks.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

The Nets killed a potential deal to dump Williams longer deal onto the Kings because Sacramento insisted on Plumlee, so they aren't going to include him to get rid of Lopez who makes 8M less than Williams, has 1 or 2 (depending on whether he exercises his option) years left on his deal, and is thus much easier to move.

If the Nets change their minds and do decide to use Plumlee to dump some unwanted contracts, they'll resume talks with the Kings or another team willing to absorb Williams contract as that deal is the biggest albatross around their necks.
I wouldn't be so sure.  That trade from nostar saves Brooklyn $40M this year alone.  That's enough to make any owner think, let alone one who has one foot out the door.  For reference, the Nets had net operating losses of -19M in each of the last 2 years.  This one deal puts them more or less even.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I'm still bummed that they passed on re-signing Pierce this past summer. With LeBron's jump back to Cleveland and the Pacers losing George, I was sure the Nets would have gotten the band back together for another run. Or maybe I'm just so used to seeing KG & Paul together.

me too. Though it was a 5 game series with the Heat their series was actually a lot closer then most people would think. The heat overcame an 8 point deficit with about 3 minutes left in the 5th game to win. They were tied with 3 minutes left in game 4 (which the heat won) and the nets actually blew them out in the 3rd game. Heat were definitely a better team but the series could have been a lot closer with a few different bounces.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens

I wouldn't be so sure.  That trade from nostar saves Brooklyn $40M this year alone.  That's enough to make any owner think, let alone one who has one foot out the door.  For reference, the Nets had net operating losses of -19M in each of the last 2 years.  This one deal puts them more or less even.

If they just wanted to dump Lopez without getting any real assets back except tax savings, they could take back the same players with OKC, Keep Plumlee, deal Lamb and PJIII for a second rounder each. Send Perkins, the 2 seconds, and the $3M maximum they are allowed to include in deals (which would cover most of the Perkins pro-rated salary for the remainder of the season) to the 76ers who have the cap room to absorb the deal. They save only about 1.8M less but keep their best young asset.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

If the Nets did change their minds though, I'm not so sure the Kings would come running back to them at this point. It was a risky move at the time of the trade rumors, and in the last six weeks Sacramento has fallen to the point of having no realistic shot at the post season. On top of that, DWill's gotten even more banged up, and more and more reports have surfaced indicating that these ankle injuries are never going to go away.

I wonder what DWill would get on the open market if he were a FA this summer. Has he sunk to the level of vet min? Mid-level money maybe?

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens

If the Nets did change their minds though, I'm not so sure the Kings would come running back to them at this point. It was a risky move at the time of the trade rumors, and in the last six weeks Sacramento has fallen to the point of having no realistic shot at the post season. On top of that, DWill's gotten even more banged up, and more and more reports have surfaced indicating that these ankle injuries are never going to go away.

I wonder what DWill would get on the open market if he were a FA this summer. Has he sunk to the level of vet min? Mid-level money maybe?

Probably 1 year and a player option for somewhere between 1/2 and the full mid-level would be my best wild guess.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

That's interesting. I keep thinking that the CBA requires the nets to take more salary than that back, but it actually just says that they can take back up to a given amount.  Back to the trade machine.
perhaps, but my question is why help the nets? wouldn't that affect negatively the draft picks we have, should they get better? also, what assets do the nets currently have that would be attractive to danny?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I'm telling you, they're going to have an all out firesale.  If they can give away Lopez, Johnson, Williams, or Garnett, they have to do it.  Boston makes it possible to do one of these deals with anyone who's interested. Danny would have to get one heck of an asset in return though, to aid in any BKN deal.
I'm not sure. They want to shed salary and dont care about the wins that much as the location is the selling point. Hopefully they trade their junk for more, slightly cheaper, less talented junk and lose lose lose.