Author Topic: Is Bass killing our tanking?  (Read 12371 times)

Re: Is Bass killing our tanking?
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2015, 01:36:28 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
A few more losses last year and we could've had Aaron Gordon.   ::)

It's a crapshoot.  Just keep improving the team.

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
"The Cavs wern't tanking last year and they ended up with the number one draft pick."
I do not believe that counting on an incredible stroke of luck is a realistic path to take to rebuild the Celtics.

The point is that the Cavs had more wins than the Celtics and the Sixers and yet they won the lottery. So I don't think going crazy over a couple of wins won't change much.

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
"The Cavs wern't tanking last year and they ended up with the number one draft pick."
I do not believe that counting on an incredible stroke of luck is a realistic path to take to rebuild the Celtics.

The point is that the Cavs had more wins than the Celtics and the Sixers and yet they won the lottery. So I don't think going crazy over a couple of wins won't change much.
I understand completely your point of view. However, sometimes a few extra wins mean nothing and sometimes it means everything. All we can control are the things that are under our control. We should have moved Bass for a 2nd round pick and an expiring contract if that type of deal was available. Possibly devaluing our own precious 2015 pick is not something that I want to risk when the return is only maybe a late 1st round pick if we hold out until the trade deadline. As an aside, I would like to mention that we have very winnable upcoming games against Utah and Minnesota.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No he is not. The question is only being asked because the two recent road wins, and Bass is an easy punching bag.   These two road wins were due mainly to young guys stepping up in the final seconds. Sully diving to the floor, great outlet pass to Turner for the 3. Then Bradley getting hot in next game. So it's not Bass killing the tanking. 

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
No he is not. The question is only being asked because the two recent road wins, and Bass is an easy punching bag.   These two road wins were due mainly to young guys stepping up in the final seconds. Sully diving to the floor, great outlet pass to Turner for the 3. Then Bradley getting hot in next game. So it's not Bass killing the tanking.
By my calculations Bass had a total of 30 points and 19 rebounds combined in our two wins. To me, this doesn't sound like an insignificant contribution.

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I'm not a huge Bass fan.......his handle is the worst I ever seen.  He has made his inside game better and plays hard ......good team guy

But......I sure Hope Danny keeps Prince around.   He is such a pleasure to watch win or loose.

Prince plays the right way and makes few mistakes .   His movement is greyhound smooth .

Great vet to mix with the new draftee s .   Sets the perfect example of classic NBA pro.

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 08:46:34 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Bass is a triple threat forward.  He can catch it, face you up, drain a 16 footer, go left or go right.  He's not a point forward and doesn't rely on his handle.  He's a really versatile defender, which is valuable.  He can guard 3-5 on most nights and some 2's in a switch.

I loved Prince's game 7 years ago.  He just hasn't aged as well as Bass.  Bass is the far more valuable player at this stage.

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
In my view, Bass was the most important player in both wins, regardless of box score.  He provides a consistency and gives us an option when things break down.  He's the one guy that can get off against almost anyone.  That's why Scals makes the statement about him being one of the best 1 on 1 players in the league.

If you really want to tank this team, remove Bass.

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Don't know about tanking....Bass is killing me with is butterfingers playing for sure ...more nerve pills

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:51 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Don't know about tanking....Bass is killing me with is butterfingers playing for sure ...more nerve pills
Olynyk and Bradley must drive you absolutely mad.

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 01:38:01 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The problem is that we don't have an Al Jefferson type on the roster.

The bright spot is that Marcus Smart looks to be as advertised but with a better 3 point shot.  That could make a huge difference for us down the road.  If he can keep defenses honest with the 3, then it opens up the floor spacing and allows us to do so much more.

This is something Rondo could never do - keep defenses honest. 
They sagged off him all the time for 2 reasons -
1 they would rather force him to hit the outside J which he usually couldn't make them pay and
2 they knew his drive and dish was a lot more likely to be damaging than anything he could create offensively-shootingwise on his own.

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 06:26:42 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Here is something that Bass might be doing to hurt the team albeit not his fault.
He is hurting the trade value of Sully.  If sully is a key (along with bradley and draft picks) for ainge to do a serious upgrade trade then we have a problem.  Bass given minutes is playing as well as sully or better.  Sure sully just had a good game stats wise against golden state but night in and night out bass brings it.  Yes many playoff teams would love his services off the bench but I'm sure they are going to get him for not a lot (see green, rondo).  AND if bass can only garner…what a second rounder? What does that do to sully's value?

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Here is something that Bass might be doing to hurt the team albeit not his fault.
He is hurting the trade value of Sully.  If sully is a key (along with bradley and draft picks) for ainge to do a serious upgrade trade then we have a problem.  Bass given minutes is playing as well as sully or better.  Sure sully just had a good game stats wise against golden state but night in and night out bass brings it.  Yes many playoff teams would love his services off the bench but I'm sure they are going to get him for not a lot (see green, rondo).  AND if bass can only garner…what a second rounder? What does that do to sully's value?

It does nothing to Sully's value.  Bass' value may describe where Sully's value is, but that's it.  His playing well does not diminish another player's value.   Sully's value will also be somewhat higher since he's under more team control -- next year he's scheduled to make a third of what Bass makes this year, and after that he's a restricted free agent, which gives teams an opportunity not to overpay to keep him.  Combine that with the fact that Sully is younger and his game is likely to continue to improve, whereas Bass' game will not, and we're starting to talk about apples and oranges.  Even if you believe that Bass and Sully have similar value at present when it comes to on-court worth, contract situations and the potential for future growth give Sully a lot more value on the trade market.

Finally, Ainge is signalling to the league that he thinks Bass is worth more than a second-rounder, and seems willing at present to keep him on the roster through the end of the year if better offers don't materialize, much as he did with Humphries last summer.  Ainge has generally done a very good job of maximizing his players' worth in trades, and if traded, Sully (or Bass) will command a decent return.

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
If Bass is all that great ?  Then why is nobody calling or wanting him?

Because he is getting age on him and his IQ is low and fumbles the ball off his hand repeatedly his whole career .  Bass scores a nice dunk or jump shot and then next trip down court he fumbles a pass away.    So the net effect is Zero . 

To me Bass best asset is free throw shooting.  I trust him more than anybody on the team.

Hard to dump,something nobody wants .

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:38 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
First it was Bass. Now it is Prince. Next it will be Thornton. None of these guys will be here next year. Danny, please aggressively attempt to move these guys! These meaningless wins may harm our rebuild.