Author Topic: Is Bass killing our tanking?  (Read 12427 times)

Re: Is Bass killing our tanking?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 10:08:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lets put it this way.

What would of tanking badly last season would of done??
Outside of Wiggins what have the other 5 guys before Smart shown?   
3 guys are likely out for the year (Parker, Embiid, Gordon) and Exum is not doing any better than Smart.
Only when there is going to be another Duncan, Durant would tanking purposely be worthwhile.
I mean if this was the case for the 2015 draft, Danny would of traded Bass, Thornton, Prince, Sullnger, Turner by now. 

Bottom line is you can get some real good players in the draft anywhere from (8-14) but Danny and CBS will have to do their homework.   I rather play well and draft a guy from 8-14 vs playing like crap (having no system in place)  getting a guy earlier where there is only a minor chance they become better players in the league
if I recall correctly, you've been one of the more-vocal people here in favor of tanking for the past couple of seasons.

you recall wrong.

Bc i wanted Rondo traded does not mean I want the Celtics to tank.

I get upset when the Celts lose games

I'm with Tommy. Win , build a system 1st. A winning environment, then the other things add to that.   This method is better than tanking, picking 1st , tanking picking 2nd etc. 

Unless there is a once in a lifetime talent like Duncan or Durant coming out of the draft (even then there is no certainty you will get #1 bc of the lotto). 2015 does not have a talent like this coming out anyways

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 01:57:28 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well Bass is just doing his job.  He's a good, solid player.  That being said if we can get any decent kind of asset for him, he will likely be traded.

This Celtics team has already been gutted.  I don't see the point of keeping players who are on expiring deals and unlikely to want to come back.  My prediction -- Bass moved at the trade DL or shortly before then.  He will help a contender add quality depth for that final playoff push.

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 04:42:08 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
We have so many draft picks does it really matter?

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2015, 05:35:21 AM »

Offline JJ2525

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I haven't read through the thread but let's not overreact to 2 1-point wins. Is it unfortunate? Yes. Will the Celtics finish with more than 28 wins? No.

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:38 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Bass is a warrior. I wouldn't be mad about it. If anything, he's increasing his value. Despite the rebuild, I'd personally like to keep him. Dude can play. And I can't imagine there aren't legit contenders that would not benefit from his services.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I haven't read through the thread but let's not overreact to 2 1-point wins. Is it unfortunate? Yes. Will the Celtics finish with more than 28 wins? No.

I think this is the heart of the matter.  People put too much emphasis on the results of individual games.  The Celtics were one of the worst teams in the league before the last two games and we still are today.

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I haven't read through the thread but let's not overreact to 2 1-point wins. Is it unfortunate? Yes.

Our "fans"...
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
As a poster above mentioned, the occasional morale-boosting win is necessary in the long run to keep the coach sane and the players invested.

Would it be nice if we went 7-75 and got the #1 pick? Maybe.

Would it be nice when we do that and Brad Stevens bolts to the first available college job because he doesn't want to deal with an organization that takes extreme steps to undermine his chances of winning? Probably not.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
For me it is very hard to watch wins right now that are on the backs of Bass, Thornton even Turner. IMO if we win on the backs of Sully, Smart, KO I can live with it. At least it is our young guys showing promise.

As much as I want to be in good position for a top pick I assume the lottery will screw us so who knows? ???

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:32 AM »

Offline JJ2525

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I haven't read through the thread but let's not overreact to 2 1-point wins. Is it unfortunate? Yes.

Our "fans"...

How many times does the discussion need to be had?

A fan wants to see their team win a championship. The best way to win a championship (history indicates) is to have one or multiple top tier players, either through the draft or by using a top pick in a trade.

How exactly are you a "fan" if you cheer for a meaningless game in January that, logically, takes the Celtics further away from being a championship contender? "Real fans don't want to see their team lose." Give me a break.

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:54 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
as years pass by I wonder how the count of ppl pounding the tank hard/tank now drumm will change.

there is hope that we pick up good talent in draft but if we stay a bit below finding a frenchise typ player we could be bound to go thru a bunch of bad years with little chance of attracting big time players in offseason and no real package to trade for a guy like Garnett back in the day.

Remember we had a young BigAl - a player that was en route to become an AllStar at the rate he developed right in the season after his trade.

We have no evidence that a guy on the current roster might get there anytime soon, if at all.

Sure I hope we find someone but I wouldnt put my money on it as of now. I rather enjoy the team that plays now and plays hard. It's much more enjoyable to watch them as watchin stacked teams stay far behind expectations. It was unlikely to fall behind NY, PHI and MIN even prior to the 2 wins. Every other team seems still to be in range. It also can not be bad for the young guys to win a game now and then to stay motivated, to have them enter a game fired up because they know that they are able to win if the give it their best. I would bet that young players comming into games knowing that effort pays off develop faster. They also learn to win, close gaps and keep leads. All of that is expierience that might come in handy at some point in the future.

So it hasnt changed much in the current situation with the 2 wins the team picked up but it might have given some players a spark and a good reason to keep working hard.

I don't see how Bass will not be traded away anytime soon as he is a nice guy for a contender to come of the bench. I doesnt need many minutes to get hot - he comes in and is allways ready to score, he gets to the line and is a pretty good foul shooter, he can play some D and as a big bonus the type of plays he makes make him able to get crowds fired up or back into games. That can be pretty valuable at times and might even help turn games around. Also he kinda allways plays solid not making many errors, he might be limited due to his size and lack of 3P shooting but he manages to avoid situations that expose his weaknesses. As a coach I would see it as a luxus to be able to bring him of the bench knowing that he will allmost never make me wish that I hadnt subbed him in. He is a guy who as a coach I can rely on. There are not too many players that give you that of the bench. So I think he will be hunted after by GMs before the trade deadline, maybe allready even at this moment. Who knows?

As a player he has earned himself a chance to be on a team that looks to contend. He was years with the Celtics and I don't think there is much reason to complain about him, on the contrary he will really be missed I think.

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Our "fans"...

A fan wants to see their team win a championship. The best way to win a championship (history indicates) is to have one or multiple top tier players, either through the draft or by using a top pick in a trade.

How exactly are you a "fan" if you cheer for a meaningless game in January that, logically, takes the Celtics further away from being a championship contender? "Real fans don't want to see their team lose." Give me a break.

Hinkie, is that you?
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Our "fans"...

Hinkie, is that you?
A win here and a win there and all of a sudden you are drafting a useful pro instead of a franchise player. Wins really matter when it involves teams that win so rarely. There is no guarantee that we will be successful no matter how high we draft, but you have to give yourself the best opportunity to succeed. Do you think that it is easy for a 50+ years fan of the Celtics to root for them to lose a close, hard fought game? Does it make Celtic fans who share my thinking any less ardent supporters? As for creating a culture of losing, no team tanked more blatantly than the Spurs when they drafted Duncan and no culture of losing was created there.

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Our "fans"...

Hinkie, is that you?
A win here and a win there and all of a sudden you are drafting a useful pro instead of a franchise player. Wins really matter when it involves teams that win so rarely. There is no guarantee that we will be successful no matter how high we draft, but you have to give yourself the best opportunity to succeed. Do you think that it is easy for a 50+ years fan of the Celtics to root for them to lose a close, hard fought game? Does it make Celtic fans who share my thinking any less ardent supporters? As for creating a culture of losing, no team tanked more blatantly than the Spurs when they drafted Duncan and no culture of losing was created there.

The Cavs wern't tanking last year and they ended up with the number one draft pick.

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
"The Cavs wern't tanking last year and they ended up with the number one draft pick."
I do not believe that counting on an incredible stroke of luck is a realistic path to take to rebuild the Celtics.