Author Topic: evan turner-for rookie of year  (Read 4721 times)

evan turner-for rookie of year
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
coming from philly  and out of last years chaos and then to celts,Evan on new team with young players and moody vets, a young coach and a rookie.Now he has to learn brads system ,new players,play defense and point guard a new position in NBA for him.Trades to rondo,green ,new players ,new rotations and he is now in essence a rookie point guard starting with no pre season.Talk about a difficult task from timing ,to adjust to totally new players and shifting offenses and playing good d--i dare anybody to state that the chemistry and timing doesn;t cause turnovers and missed shots-i think turner has been turn around player of the year-

Re: evan turner-for rookie of year
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Andrew Wiggins will probably beat him out by a slim margin. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
sorry if i am missing something, but shouldn't the thread be titled "evan turner -for comeback player of the year"?
if so, then it is a good topic. i am too busy to look it up right now, but who else might be considered for the award?

for reference, here are some past winners:

http://www.landofbasketball.com/awards/nba_most_improved_player.htm
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Andrew Wiggins will probably beat him out by a slim margin. 

Probably helped by the fact that Wiggins is actually eligible for the award.  :D

As to the actual post -- Turner's been the de facto point forward for most of his NBA career, and certainly since the Jrue Holiday trade. He's not a rookie in any way shape or form, he's just kind of worse at basketball than you expect a 2nd overall pick to be.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Turner is learning a new position on the fly and is to be commended for that.

I still wish he and Smart would start in the backcourt.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:22:50 AM by Chris22 »

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:17:42 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
 Meh,  honestly he'll probably never play PG on any other team.

Re: evan turner-for rookie of year or most improved player
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
As for rookie of year that was obviously in jest but you really missed the point of being in philly and then the pacers,you used defacto but in boston is is the starting point guard,he is playing defense and hustling,he is rebounding ,he has tamed his game,he has been crippled or hobbled by never ending rotation changes,young players and loss of vets,new players and showcasing,no pre season-most point guards have there players with them for years-a biggie lack of go to scorer while being guarded by a quick defender,Turner has to play both ends of court without rim protector,with a rookie or a go to and whoever is being spotlighted--ask for a raise ,or some applause or credit---great find danny and good job brad
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:44:51 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At the risk of repeating myself: he was the primary ball handler in Philly, and was brought in to Indiana to do more or less the same thing. His usage rate is actually lower in Boston than it was in Philly, and is about on par with his numbers from Indiana.

His assist percentage is up, which would normally be a good thing, but his turnover percentage is also up at the same rate, which means that he's basically playing the same way he always has -- kind of crappily.

You're right that he's definitely not in a position to succeed, but he also played like hot garbage when he was on a good team.

For the PER enthusiasts in this thread, and I can see at least one  ;), Turner has never had more than a 13.2 PER -- not in Philly, not in Indiana, and not in Boston -- which is lower than the league average of 15.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
a primary ball handler in philly ,you mean he was the only player that could get it out of back court,seems turner was scapegoat in indiana-who did he clash with- are you saying his rebounding and defense is lazy ,some mistakes i shake my head at but i forget the constant pressure and harrassment on both ends with his menagerie of mismatches-i watched him in philly if that was the way he was groomed to play ---he deserves not comeback but biggest changeover of decade

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 03:24:28 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
he hustles on D because most of the time he is a little step too late - not because of his quickness but because he doesnt antizipate very well

on offence he is a boomerang guy - he and Zeller share the top spot for bad passing - those passes around the circle to the next guy drive me nuts - he gets those opposing guards a nice headstart on the fastbreak at least once per game.

The on good thing about him is his shooting - in so many was he reminds me of Crawford - maybe not the total loss of balanche that made Crawford dribbling looking so funny. Ohh and better shot selection than Crawford - but thats about it imo.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 06:01:43 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
remember evan is 6-7 and sometimes guarding smaller quicker players that may create the illusion of lack of anticipation.It is tough being intuitive and to have split second timing when key players are gone with shifting rotations and new players both on offenses and d--

Turner is infuriating with some of his mistakes and poor passes at nba level. i think he should tighten up and quicken up crossover ,around the back and reverse pivot and put more zip in passes.Gives the appearance of nonchalant ,lazy or stupid at times. 
so a summer working on guard skills,shooting and even the gym .I find turner to be an excellent rebounder,durable and creates mismatches as point guard and seems like a good team mate.he has altered his game and bought into brads system-a real good pickup by ainge

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think Turner has improved at all since this time last year.  He's the same guy- not a very good starter.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
turner is like 98% of the roster - at best a bench player on a good team.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I have been happy with what Turner has given the Celtics.  I loved him coming out of college but I was obviously wrong about him.  His is an average or slightly below player which means he will typically be the 7-9th best player on a team; in the rotation, contributing but not carrying a team.

He is getting paid about $3.3M this year and $3.4M next.  He is producing pretty well for that money but probably will not win any awards.

And for comeback player of the year, wouldn't you think Rondo should have been in the running for that?

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Turner has earned his money and he is making a great deal of progress under Stevens.
He's one of those sleepy, gifted players who make you pull your hair out, and then go and win ball games. ;D  Will be curious to see if he continues to develop.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-