Author Topic: Let's Use All Our Trade Exceptions (3 team deal)  (Read 4789 times)

Let's Use All Our Trade Exceptions (3 team deal)
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:59:37 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
This trade is absurd, but it shows the potential of what's possible with a pile of exceptions.

Why for Boston: 2015 Unprotected CHA pick, 2017 CHA pick(1-7), plus a look at Biz Biyombo
Why for Brooklyn: Save almost $40M in salary and tax this year, and some salary next year
Why for Charlotte: Put a star center next to Big Al that fits their grind-it-out gameplan, plus Bradley who also fits. AND unload Stephenson.  Trifecta.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=khbjx3x

Who says no?

Re: Let's Use All Our Trade Exceptions (3 team deal)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:07 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Bump.  I know this seems ludicrous because of the sheer number of players involved, but 80% of it is dead weight expirings.  It boils down to

Brook Lopez / Bradley / (unloading Lance) to CHA
Picks to Boston
$40M American dollars to Nets

I'm curious who you guys think would turn it down because I haven't seen a trade structured in a way that generates this much cash.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
All reports indicated that if Brookyln was willing to take Lance back, a trade would have been completed last week.  Essentially, the Nets already said no.

I think there are some other problems too, but that's the one I'm pretty confident about.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
All reports indicated that if Brookyln was willing to take Lance back, a trade would have been completed last week.  Essentially, the Nets already said no.

I think there are some other problems too, but that's the one I'm pretty confident about.
Mainly, I'm wondering about the player or pick value of $40M.  Does Prokhorov even care?  Is it top priority to clear that cap?  Trying to understand the Nets position with a kabillionaire owner.  You could cut Lance or give him to Hinkie for nothing and still come out ahead in this deal.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We get two good firsts, Biyombo and a bunch of expirings for Bradley, Bass and Pressey and to take on an extra year of Williams and Anderson?

Not happening.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
We get two good firsts, Biyombo and a bunch of expirings for Bradley, Bass and Pressey and to take on an extra year of Williams and Anderson?

Not happening.
So, clearly the Celtics don't say no.  Who says no?  What if it's just one first?  Then who says no?

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just based on player movement, deal isn't good for anyone.

the picks make it even worse for Charlotte.   they're giving up a lot of players as it is which would more than compensate for getting Lopez.

not a Biyombo fan -- no one else coming to the C's that interests me as a player (KG does but not on a basketball level)

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
just based on player movement, deal isn't good for anyone.

the picks make it even worse for Charlotte.   they're giving up a lot of players as it is which would more than compensate for getting Lopez.

not a Biyombo fan -- no one else coming to the C's that interests me as a player (KG does but not on a basketball level)
Of course it isn't.  It has nothing to do with player movement.  It's about CASH.  Prokhorov is selling the team and that's a lot of money.  For Boston it's about getting a draft pick, not players.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
This seems to be a fairly typical, overcomplicated fan trade.  15 players between 3 teams?

Basically, no way Charlotte takes Lopez with Big Al.  Can't play them both together (no floor spacing, too slow) and you're not paying them both big money for one to sit on the bench.

Charlotte says no first.  Not sure if anybody else says yes.  We would have to cut some of the acquired players, which isn't necssarily a problem.  Biyombo does nothing for us, we have had way too many undersized PFs in the past few years.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
This seems to be a fairly typical, overcomplicated fan trade.  15 players between 3 teams?

Basically, no way Charlotte takes Lopez with Big Al.  Can't play them both together (no floor spacing, too slow) and you're not paying them both big money for one to sit on the bench.

Charlotte says no first.  Not sure if anybody else says yes.  We would have to cut some of the acquired players, which isn't necssarily a problem.  Biyombo does nothing for us, we have had way too many undersized PFs in the past few years.
Thanks for explaining.  The trade is deliberately complicated to show all our trade exceptions and how you can convert them to cash or assets.

It's a no-brainer for the Celtics.  I can't imagine Danny turning down those picks for basically nothing.

I don't see why Brooklyn would say no to that much cash, except maybe it's not that much to a guy like Prokhorov.  Not  sure.

I wouldn't let go of those picks if I'm Charlotte, but who knows.  They were rumored to be considering packaging a first JUST to get rid of Lance.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

I've heard a few people say that you couldn't play those two together, but I don't see why.  They both have range past 15'.  Charlotte loves slowing the game down.  If Al can play with Zeller and Biyombo, why not Lopez?  I'm not buying this idea yet, but when Roy Hobbs talks, I listen.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
Pick..

You can listen to whoever you want.  I don't think it's a fact that Al and Lopez have range beyond 15 ft.   I also don't think it's a fact that Al, Zeller and Biyombo play together regularly but that certainly may have been impacted by Al's recent injury.  Charlotte, during Al's injury, increased the tempo, which is the only choice they had and which has particularly benefited Walker.

It's also not a recipe for success to have two big, slow, low post players on the floor at the same time, particularly in today's game.  Zach Lowe mentions that Houston went to Howard/Asik last year because they had nobody else to guard Aldridge, but that was only done in small doses.  Also, Asik is a better defender than either Lopez or Al, so it was a particular matchup that Houston had to go to.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Re: Roy, I meant that Roy Hobbs said the same thing you're saying and I respect his (and your) opinion.  I'm just not fully sold yet.

Lopez and Al both take quite a few shots past 15.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
I was trying to show the more representative part of Al's shot chart from last year but I couldn't get it dumped in here.  The point is it showed that he is outstanding from the basket to the foul line in the center of the floor and he is below average from the foul line to the 3 point line on the sides of the floor.  So, his primary effectiveness is 15 ft and in.  Taking shots is one thing but making them is something else.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:42:01 PM by marlon.oddo »

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
How would it be spacing and movement be worse than

Valanciunus - Amir Johnson
Robin Lopez - Aldridge
Dwight Howard - Motejiunas
Varejao - Tristan Thompson
Drummon - Monroe
Hibbert - David West
Pekovic - Dieng
Noel - whichever stiff they have playing
Lopez - Plumlee

I think this idea makes more sense on paper than in practice.  Half the teams in the league still use rotations without a stretch 4.