Author Topic: My early draft pick choices are: Looney, Levert, Ashley  (Read 7281 times)

My early draft pick choices are: Looney, Levert, Ashley
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Looney - with 5-7 pick

Some call him the next poor man Kevin Durant/KG hybrid. 6'9 PF/SF with 7'3 wingspan. Has a nice handle for his height, solid jump shot and is a very good rebounder (19 rebound game, multiple 14 rebound games), good passer and shot blocker.  If we miss out on Okafor or Towns, Looney is looking more and more like the guy I would want Danny to pickup. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvGgtLm5lng

Levert - with 15-17 pick (trade up - 20-22 pick + 2 future 2nds)

I feel we need a "purer" pg to play alongside Smart. A guy with good handles.  At first was not that big on Levert (had a bad stretch) but recently i been nothing but impressed.  Jamal Crawford comparisons are good. Levert is 6'7 has very good handles for a SG and has one of the best shooting strokes in college.  Defense is considered his weakness but the effort is there. Go to scorer type (especially late in games, iso situations) the Celtics can really use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jp-JDZcSUg

Ashley - with 35-37 pick

Aaron Gordon clone.  PF that can defend multiple positions and has underrated offensive skills. Decent jump shot. A good Brandon Bass replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvOUcen8II

Lineup after draft

PF/C- Sullinger - 7-10 pounds lighter but stronger
PF -   KO          - 5-7 pounds of added muscle
SF -   Looney    - Has the length, athleticism to help out Sully/KO downlow. Skilled
SG -  Levert      - Go to scorer type. Can help out Smart with handling the ball, passing.
PG -  Smart      -  Defensive leader. Slimmer and better offensively

Bench

C -  Zeller
PF - Ashley
SF - Young/Crowder
SG - AB
PG - Turner/Pressey

thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:49:12 PM by triboy16f »

Re: My early draft pick choices are: Looney, Levert, Ashley
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
why aim low with our first pick?  C's will have the #4 or better.

Notice you didn't take a big man.  I'm a believer in taking BPA but I don't see him not using at least 1 pick on a big man.  If he gets #5 and WCS is on the board, I think Danny either takes him there or makes a move to slide a spot or 2 to where he thinks he'll be available and pick up another asset.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Just to recap my thoughts from elsewhere.

Looney = Thad Young-Lamar Odom
Levert = Kerry Kittles
I haven't watched enough video on Ashley

Levert has already had 2 surgeries on that foot though.  Here's my top 5.  Changes every day.

1. Okafor
2. Russell
3. Towns
4. S. Johnson
5. WCS

My sleepers, should they declare: Hield (Oklahoma), Sabonis (Gonzaga), Kaminsky

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
1. Okafor
2. Towns
3. S. Johnson
4. Mudiay
5. Russell

6. Hezonja
7. Turner
8. Winslow
9. Porzingis
10. WCS
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Levert = Kerry Kittles

Levert has already had 2 surgeries on that foot though.  Here's my top 5.  Changes every day.

1. Okafor
2. Russell
3. Towns
4. S. Johnson
5. WCS

Lamar Odom was never really a steady jump shooter. Looney already has a better shooting stroke imo.  Looney also has a longer wingpan and is a better passer than Young.   Looney has the tools to be a very good starting SF in the nba. Possibly dominant if he puts it all together

Kittles was a 6'4-6'5 thin sg.  Good shooter. Levert could be stronger but is 6'7.  Jamal Crawford, Klay Thompson potential.  Bc of his foot surgeries and weakness on defense he will go 15-20. Otherwise Levert is a top 10 talent

From your list

- not a fan of Johnson.  Yes he is ploughing through weaker college players. But in the NBA he is not going to be able to have his way.  He is not that quick nor athletic . Not a great shooter either

- WCS is a more explosive Ryan Hollins.  Great team defender potential but is not going to be able to handle guys like Dhoward, Ibaka, Vucevic etc.  A center but has the strength of a SF.   

- Russell is another guy without great quickness/athleticism. Good scorer. Could end up becoming like another Evan Turner with a better jump shot.

- Hield lacks a mid range game. 

- Sabonis is like another KO

- I do like Kaminsky. Needs to add 15 more pounds of muscle though to play center in the nba

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:22 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Levert = Kerry Kittles

1. Okafor
2. Russell
3. Towns
4. S. Johnson
5. WCS

Lamar Odom was never really a steady jump shooter. Looney already has a better shooting stroke imo.  Looney also has a longer wingpan and is a better passer than Young.   Looney has the tools to be a very good starting SF in the nba. Possibly dominant if he puts it all together

Kittles was a 6'4-6'5 thin sg.  Good shooter. Levert could be stronger but is 6'7.  Jamal Crawford, Klay Thompson potential.  Bc of his foot surgeries and weakness on defense he will go 15-20. Otherwise Levert is a top 10 talent

From your list

- not a fan of Johnson.  Yes he is ploughing through weaker college players. But in the NBA he is not going to be able to have his way.  He is not that quick nor athletic . Not a great shooter either

- WCS is a more explosive Ryan Hollins.  Great team defender potential but is not going to be able to handle guys like Dhoward, Ibaka, Vucevic etc.  A center but has the strength of a SF.   

- Russell is another guy without great quickness/athleticism. Good scorer. Could end up becoming like another Evan Turner with a better jump shot.

- Hield lacks a mid range game. 

- Sabonis is like another KO

- I do like Kaminsky. Needs to add 15 more pounds of muscle though to play center in the nba
Agree with some of what you said.  Looney is a hybrid of Odom/Young. Young did measure out with a 7-1 wingspan so I think Looney does have him by a couple inches.  Length and rebounding is where he's gonna make his money.  I'm not that impressed by Looney's athleticism and his conditioning seemed downright poor when I reviewed the games.  He was consistently the last man up the court.

Levert does have an inch or two and 15-20 lbs on Kittles, but I see similarities in their games.

Johnson is out of the Ron Artest or Marcus Smart mold.  He won't be the most athletic guy, but strength matters.  Smart proves it.  He's a destroyer.

Hield is an elite athlete.  Lots of guys don't have a mid range game.

Sabonis is nothing like KO, IMO.  Twice as mobile and savvy.  That's the whole reason I like him. Could be a great post defender and glass cleaner.  And he's shooting 70% on the year.

Russell is high-risk, high reward.  I'm ready to roll the dice.  He could be Evan Turner, but much more likely he's Goran Dragic.  He also has that rare spark you see in really special players like Chris Paul.  I have no evidence for this, just intuition.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I LIKED Levert, too.

Done for the year with this injury more severe than the last? no thanks.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
top pick:
*Emmanuel Mudiay (skill to be one of the very best pgs in the game.)
comparison: John Wall+ Kyrie Irving mix/ Deron Williams

early 20s:
*Trey Lyles (smooth offensively gifted 4 with range and good rebounder)
low end comparison: Brandon Bass
high end comparison: Carlos Boozer

*Egemen Guven (highly skilled young European pf with post game and above average physical tools)
high end comparison: Pau Gasol

*Christian Wood (outstanding combo of length athleticism and skill.. can put the ball on the floor and blow by bigs while facing up.. good shot blocker)
comparison: John Henson/Taj Gibson

second round:

*Dakari Johnson (fairly unathletic big man good size... raw offensively but you can tell he is going to be a good post scorer..great hands ok footwork and feel)
high end comparison: Nene

*Rashad Vaugn (freshman scorer with good athleticism and nice jumper)
comparison:Danny Green/athletic Marcus Thorton

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
alot of people saying Levert reminds them of Reggie Lewis

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
top pick:

early 20s:

*Egemen Guven (highly skilled young European pf with post game and above average physical tools)

*Christian Wood (outstanding combo of length athleticism and skill.. can put the ball on the floor and blow by bigs while facing up.. good shot blocker)

second round:

*Dakari Johnson (fairly unathletic big man good size... raw offensively but you can tell he is going to be a good post scorer..great hands ok footwork and feel)

I've watched all the Mudiay stuff and I'm just not seeing it. He looks like a great player, don't get me wrong, but John Wall's athleticism is on another level.  If Wall is a 10, Mudiay is an 8.5.

The Reggie Lewis comp is pretty good, actually.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 10:43:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I LIKED Levert, too.

dayam , didn't know he was injured. But he did have surgery and is expected to fully recover. Maybe he won't declare for the 2015 draft.  If he does, some team could still take a risk on him if they have multiple 1st or early 2nd

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Lineup after draft

PF -   KO          - 5-7 pounds of added muscle
SF -   Looney    - Has the length, athleticism to help out Sully/KO downlow. Skilled
SG -  Levert      - Go to scorer type. Can help out Smart with handling the ball, passing.
PG -  Smart      -  Defensive leader. Slimmer and better offensively

Bench

C -  Zeller
PF - Ashley
SF - Young/Crowder
SG - AB
PG - Turner/Pressey

thoughts?

Still would have a gaping hole at C and 2 poor defensive PFs  on our roster.

What makes you think he would start caring about his body all the sudden?   Ainge talked to him before he left last year and he came back a whale again.   I think it would help his game but at the heart of it, you still have a poor athlete and losing a few pounds if not going to help it.  I bet he comes into camp heavier than ever. 

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I LIKED Levert, too.

dayam , didn't know he was injured. But he did have surgery and is expected to fully recover. Maybe he won't declare for the 2015 draft.  If he does, some team could still take a risk on him if they have multiple 1st or early 2nd
He'll declare and he could even be healthy by the combine.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
top pick:

early 20s:

second round:

I've watched all the Mudiay stuff and I'm just not seeing it. He looks like a great player, don't get me wrong, but John Wall's athleticism is on another level.  If Wall is a 10, Mudiay is an 8.5.

The Reggie Lewis comp is pretty good, actually.

Youre right. I dont see the John Wall level athleticism. John Wall is a freak but i added Kyrie Irving who is less athletic so i guess it balances out  ;D ;D

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I LIKED Levert, too.

He'll declare and he could even be healthy by the combine.

Love the talent and versatility, especially the scoring.

Same foot, same bone.....but hey, I like him a lot too and really hope you're right. The deeper the draft, the better for us obviously.