Author Topic: Brooke Lopez Trade Idea  (Read 4631 times)

Brooke Lopez Trade Idea
« on: January 22, 2015, 12:04:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Long-time Celtic fan. Long-time lurker. First-time poster.

The Celtics are learning how to play the game the right way under Stevens, but even if they continue to develop, I think Sully, Olynyk, and Zeller can only be average defensively. They simply get outclassed by any big men they face (except when Zeller completely shut down Cousins a few weeks ago). Their interior defense needs to continue to develop, but it just won't ever be great. All of that being said, it's pretty obvious they need a big man who can compete defensively and athletically at a high level. If possible, that big man should also be skilled offensively.

If the Celtics are really patient, they could draft a center in this year's draft. However, common wisdom says that big men take longer to develop than guards. Even if we got one of the top tier big men, he may not be a starting caliber player until the end of his rookie contract, which would be 2018 at the earliest.

Getting a player like Lopez is a bit of a homerun swing, but I think his value is at an all-time low. I mean, the Thunder almost got him for Perkins' expiring contract and Jeremy Lamb. The Celtics have so many assets right now that they could trade. Honestly, they wouldn't have to break the bank for him. More on my trade ideas in a second.

Brooke Lopez is an all-star caliber center when healthy. He is a very good rim protector and decent at defending the pick-and-roll. He has the size and good athleticism to match up with the biggest NBA centers. His rebounding is his weakest point, but the Celtics rebound decently well as a team. He is skilled offensively, a great finisher in the lane, and might soon have range out to the three point line. On top of all of this, he only has two years left on his contract, which means we aren't tied to a guy long-term if he does continue to have injuries. All of this is contingent on a satisfactory physical. He has been decently healthy so far this season and he was very healthy for the first three years of his career.

Like I said earlier, the Nets were in advanced discussion with the Thunder for Perkins and Lamb. However, the going rate for a skilled starting NBA center was just set with the Cavs trade for Mozgov. It is going to cost us two late first round picks, plus expirings, and possibly a prospect. Here are a few options.

1. Nets-Celtics-Hornets

Nets receive Stephenson, Bass, 2015 first round pick (from clippers), and 2016 first round pick (from cavs)
Celtics receive Lopez
Hornets receive Thorton, and future second rounders

2. Nets-Celtics-Blazers

Nets receive Robinson, McCullom, Kaman, 2015 first round pick (from clippers),  and 2016 first round pick (from cavs)
Celtics receive Lopez
Blazers receive Thorton and Bass

3. Nets-Celtics (Cannot happen until Feb 19)
Nets receive Prince, Bass, 2015 first round pick (from clippers), and 2016 first round pick (from cavs)
Celtics receive Lopez and Teletovic

All we give away is late first round pics and expiring contracts that had no future on our team. We keep our lottery-bound first round picks and young prospects, and we get two years to see if Lopez can stay healthy and fit well in our system.

Re: Brooke Lopez Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I like the scenario's personally.  I think Lopez is a good get and a buy low candidate right now.  He's fallen out of the graces of many, but it was just a couple years ago people were saying how great he was at this and that.  If you wanted him a couple years ago, why not take a shot now ?  Yes, he's been injured.  That doesn't mean he'll continue to be.  Anything can happen.

I think he's far better than any 5 man we have right now, and he's available.  The question is, can he be had for peanuts or will it take a bunch to get him ?  If you're buying low, yes, nab him.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I like the scenario's personally.  I think Lopez is a good get and a buy low candidate right now.  He's fallen out of the graces of many, but it was just a couple years ago people were saying how great he was at this and that.  If you wanted him a couple years ago, why not take a shot now ?  Yes, he's been injured.  That doesn't mean he'll continue to be.  Anything can happen.

I think he's far better than any 5 man we have right now, and he's available.  The question is, can he be had for peanuts or will it take a bunch to get him ?  If you're buying low, yes, nab him.

Personally I don't want Lopez at all.  He's over paid, injury prone and doesn't rebound at all. 

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the 3 issues I have with acquiring Lopez are:
1) He's injury prone.  Misses way too many games for my liking.  Need a durable center.
2) He's not a good rim protector or defender.  Have never heard anyone state otherwise and show proof of their point.    Not much of a rebounder either.
3) while he's a talent upgrade even with those 2 concerns, the question I would pose is why get him at this point?  Who are we pairing him with that will get us moving in the right direction?  The talent we have on this roster doesn't justify acquiring him just to be an expensive contract that spends half the season in street clothes.  One other thing to keep in mind is that even when he was surrounded by good players last year on the Nets, he didn't propel that team at all. 

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
There is really no point in acquiring Lopez for this current Celtics team. He might be at a low value currently but we'd spend assets to get him and if he ends up here there's a good chance that he declines his player option next year to sign with a better team.

He's slow, injury prone, and not all that great talent wise. Pairing him next to Sully or KO? Yikes. No thanks.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Maybe if we get their 2020 unprotected first and they are willing to take Wallace. Other than that, it sounds a little desperate from our side.

I am not saying he can't resurrect his career - he is, afterall, a very good player. However, there is a reason his value is at an all-time low. He is venturing into Josh Smith territory.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Regarding his injuries, he has been injury prone. That's what makes him a risk and a buy-low candidate. However, there may be reason to hope that he can turn that around. His twin brother has not had the same problems, so this may not be a structural thing (i don't know if that is a good argument or not) Also, he had very few injury problems in college or the first three years of his NBA career.

Regarding his rim protection, there is reason to believe he is an upper-tier rim protector in the NBA. This year he has averaged 48% opponents fg at the rim, and last year it was 39% in 17 games. He has also average 1.7 blocks per game in his career.

On top of all of that, if he can be the elite interior scorer that he has been over the past 3-4 years, that makes this team much more effective offensively, which has an indirect effect defensive numbers (fewer fast breaks, slower pace, less efficient scoring opportunities for opponents, etc.).

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Hey welcome to the board, by the way. You should post more.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 02:42:36 PM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I know that this might be asking for way too much, but can a majority of Celtics fans agree that we want none of the following centers:

1) Brook Lopez-for some of the reasons discussed.  He's one more broken bone away from being Yao Ming.  Not enough of a defender.  Bad fit for team.
2) Omer Asik-Yes, I once advocated for trading for him.  He belongs on a team that is an offensive powerhouse and doesn't need O from him.  That would be NO, OKC and Golden State.  Even at a much lower salary (veteran mid-level), he's a bad fit for us.
3) Larry Sanders-mental midget.  What has he ever accomplished in his career?  If he is too stupid to figure out how to pass drug tests, he obviously doesn't care enough about his career.  Who needs him (at $11 million per year)?
4) DeMarcus Cousins-the toughest choice.  Another mental midget.  Great offensive player, would have to learn to play average D (questionable).  If he can't control his emotions, what good is he to us in big games, when emotions are running at their highest?  The incident with Smart made him dead to me.  I know the Celtics history with head cases, and we could potentially save him, but to put him on another losing team, without some veterans to keep him in check, is a long shot.

Afraid we're going to have to try and trade up in the draft and draft a good, two way, center.  Young, talented and cheap-that's the best fit for us now.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Great offensive player, would have to learn to play average D (questionable).

People who say stuff like this probably also still believe Kevin Durant is a bad defender and that all Klay Thompson can do is shoot threes.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 05:11:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pass on Lopez.  Too hurt too often.  He is fools's gold, human pyrite.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 06:33:15 PM »

Offline bigsky

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I too would want to pass on Lopez, but OKC seems to want him and I think it would be worth it to them. Why not help everyone out. C's get involved by moving Wallace to Nets, Nets send Lopez to OKC, OKC sends Perk to C's and Jerrett to Nets (to make it work) and Jackson to C's.
OKC gets what they want and helps in tough WC and their situation which needs help now.
OKC is going to have a tough road to resign Jackson in 2015.
Nets cut more millions now and in 2016
C's maybe get their go to PG for literally nothing and maybe even keep Perk at much reduced rate.
You can shuffled some of the C's around and with picks and still make it work.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I like some of the ideas.
But I would limit Lopez' minutes.   ::) After all,
can't let his offense get in the way of TankCity!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Pass on Lopez.  Too hurt too often.  He is fools's gold, human pyrite.

I'm not sure how many posters know this, but one way to tell the difference between gold and pyrite is tenacity.  Gold is malleable, while pyrite is brittle.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I too would want to pass on Lopez, but OKC seems to want him and I think it would be worth it to them.

Does OKC want Lopez for the sake of Lopez or do they want him for his ability to be not-Perkins?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference