Author Topic: Kobe plans to keep recruiting Rondo to Lakers  (Read 7232 times)

Re: Kobe plans to keep recruiting Rondo to Lakers
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Why oh why is Rondo and Love going to join the does not share the ball, body falling apart Kobe on one of the worst teams in the NBA?
Listen, you are making perfect sense in a world where reason is actually part of the equation.  But, with the Lakers, people seem to sign there for little or no basketball reason.

Believe me when I say you are not alone in your feelings.  I don't even really like visiting the LA area, but these NBA guys act like it's the greatest place on earth for some reason...even if the team will suck something fierce.  ;)

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Why oh why is Rondo and Love going to join the does not share the ball, body falling apart Kobe on one of the worst teams in the NBA?
Listen, you are making perfect sense in a world where reason is actually part of the equation.  But, with the Lakers, people seem to sign there for little or no basketball reason.

Believe me when I say you are not alone in your feelings.  I don't even really like visiting the LA area, but these NBA guys act like it's the greatest place on earth for some reason...even if the team will suck something fierce.  ;)
hey, it's the land where you get a Kardashian free of charge just for showing up.  hmm, now that I say that, it seems like more of a drawback than an enticement

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 03:36:23 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

What players are you talking about?  Carmelo didn't sign with the Lakers for MAX money.  Howard left the year after he was traded there.  Maybe Love does go to the Lakers but it would be for MAX money. 

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

No basketball reason?  As much as we all hate them for it, they've won a LOT of championships there.  The chance to get rings is a pretty compelling basketball reason, especially when players like the off-court perks too.

I think the reason things have changed in the last couple years is that Jerry Buss is gone and Kobe is still there.  Incompetent management and a huge diva who'll always be the #1 guy and face of the franchise, even for players who are better than him today is a pretty big turnoff.

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
  All of the scenarios involving Rondo staying with the team involved Danny bringing in some better players to put on the court with Rondo. Were you unaware of that, or are you expecting that kind of improvement while still having the cap space to sign Rondo?

Not sure what everyone is disagreeing with.  I think it is pretty clear that Danny tried to bring in players and "build around" Rondo with the primary example being Love.  Had we gotten Love, there was probably a good chance that we could have signed Rondo.

I think what LarBrd33 is reacting to is many times when someone would suggest a trade for Rondo, the reply would be why on earth would you trade Rondo, we should build around Rondo.  Apparently people with that belief felt Rondo was going to resign.

I think we had a rock and a hard place because there was no way Rondo was going to resign.  Now if you disagree with me about that, that is where LarBrd33's argument comes in. If you think we could have or were likely to sign Rondo, why has that changed now.  Why isn't it still likely that he will sign with the Celtics.

I don't think LarBrd33 thinks that Rondo was going to sign so debating that with him isn't the point.

Because we traded him.

But we traded him to a championship contender - this was a total benefit to him, rather than playing out the year on a crappy Cs team.

If somehow we landed a guy like Cousins, maybe Rondo would be interested in coming back. We know he enjoyed playing here and he would likely be captain again. He wants to play for a good team who is in the playoffs every year - the Cs could be that team and in an easier Eastern Conference.

Now I don't actually believe he will come back to Boston, but there were certainly no hard feelings when he left. We as an organization may choose Leonard, Dragic, or Butler over Rondo, but when the dust clears, he may be our best option...again.

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Rondo, Kobe and Randle equates to a team no better than the one we had at the beginning of this season.

.500 if they're lucky. Kobe needs a lot more than Rondo!

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Kobe doesn't care about winning at this point, all he cares about is catching Malone and Jabbar.  Rondo will be a perfect passer for him.

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
  All of the scenarios involving Rondo staying with the team involved Danny bringing in some better players to put on the court with Rondo. Were you unaware of that, or are you expecting that kind of improvement while still having the cap space to sign Rondo?

Not sure what everyone is disagreeing with.  I think it is pretty clear that Danny tried to bring in players and "build around" Rondo with the primary example being Love.  Had we gotten Love, there was probably a good chance that we could have signed Rondo.

I think what LarBrd33 is reacting to is many times when someone would suggest a trade for Rondo, the reply would be why on earth would you trade Rondo, we should build around Rondo.  Apparently people with that belief felt Rondo was going to resign.

Sure, but the belief that Rondo was going to re-sign was always based on the assumption that Danny was going to bring in some talented players to put on the court with Rondo. What LarBrd33 is trying to say is that if Rondo was going to re-sign with the team we could just sign him in the offseason. Which makes sense, but only if you're unaware that the level of talent on the roster was always a significant factor in the decision for both Rondo and Danny.Which he seems to be.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:32:49 PM by BballTim »