Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596256 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2835 on: September 04, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I know I've already said this, but I just want to say this again one more time before I go to bed: Goodell needs to be fired.  The man is such a buffoon.  He literally has made the exact wrong decision on major disciplinary decisions every single time--the type of decisions where one would have been better doing the exact opposite of what he did. 

And or that type of decision he should be canned and truly out of work altogether.  Any solid business person could negotiate a good TV deal for the NFL in this market. 

« Reply #2836 on: September 04, 2015, 01:12:14 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I know I've already said this, but I just want to say this again one more time before I go to bed: Goodell needs to be fired.  The man is such a buffoon.  He literally has made the exact wrong decision on major disciplinary decisions every single time--the type of decisions where one would have been better doing the exact opposite of what he did. 

And or that type of decision he should be canned and truly out of work altogether.  Any solid business person could negotiate a good TV deal for the NFL in this market.

Hypothesized he was likely an athlete that never made it... he just comes off that way to me.

If you enjoy playing the "bash someone with stereotypes" game, Google says he fits the bill:
-3 sport athlete in HS
-played 4 different positions in HS football
-attended the ever-historic Washington & Jefferson college, but didn't play after blowing out his knee at age 17
-father was a Republican Senator in NY

When you're having a bad day, he seems like a fine person to place in a box and criticize b/c his past is exactly what you would've expected.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Falcons owner says it might be time to look at commissioner’s power
« Reply #2837 on: September 04, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/03/falcons-owner-says-it-might-be-time-to-look-at-commissioners-power/

“I would have rather seen it end with a positive ruling for the NFL,” Blank said. “I understand why the commissioner and the league feel as strongly as it does about trying to protect the rights that for decades have been collectively bargained. I think that is important.

“I don’t think they should be re-bargained in a federal court. Having said that, I think the commissioner and the ownership around the league have to be prepared to look at things, look at change and change may be appropriate.”
The Falcons got docked a pick for pumping in extra crowd noise at their stadium, had the NFL came down as harshly as they did against the Pats for that then Blank would be very upset. I think this is a great example of jealousy/ believing that in order for the Patriots to be so good they must have cheated because the Falcons can't have continued success.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2838 on: September 04, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/03/falcons-owner-says-it-might-be-time-to-look-at-commissioners-power/

“I would have rather seen it end with a positive ruling for the NFL,” Blank said. “I understand why the commissioner and the league feel as strongly as it does about trying to protect the rights that for decades have been collectively bargained. I think that is important.

“I don’t think they should be re-bargained in a federal court. Having said that, I think the commissioner and the ownership around the league have to be prepared to look at things, look at change and change may be appropriate.”
The Falcons got docked a pick for pumping in extra crowd noise at their stadium, had the NFL came down as harshly as they did against the Pats for that then Blank would be very upset. I think this is a great example of jealousy/ believing that in order for the Patriots to be so good they must have cheated because the Falcons can't have continued success.

That doesn't really seem to be the crux of the point, though -- as I'm reading it he thinks that a curbing of Goodell's/the commish's power (which, at this point, everyone is in agreement on) should come from CBA negotiations between the league and the NLFPA, not based on a court ruling independent of that bartering process.

I don't think I agree with that, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2839 on: September 04, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

That doesn't really seem to be the crux of the point, though -- as I'm reading it he thinks that a curbing of Goodell's/the commish's power (which, at this point, everyone is in agreement on) should come from CBA negotiations between the league and the NLFPA, not based on a court ruling independent of that bartering process.

I don't think I agree with that, though.

I think there must be some jealousy - as any objective person would think that the Patriots / Brady punishment was far too harsh, but I agree with you. It sounds as though he thought things would have just been 'easier' if the NFL won; however, now things have to be  thoroughly re-examined and that is a pain in the butt for everybody. The court re-decision makes things a little dicier in his mind.

But, on a slightly unrelated note - yes, Goodell should absolutely be fired.

« Reply #2840 on: September 04, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think folks will rue that they won, because if the NFL wins the appeal the suspensions could come later in the season.  They may not but imagine the hysteria.

« Reply #2841 on: September 04, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think folks will rue that they won, because if the NFL wins the appeal the suspensions could come later in the season.  They may not but imagine the hysteria.

From the timeline I've read, nothing with the appeal process could impact 2015.  That can is kicked until at least 2016 for the time being. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2842 on: September 04, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It'll be an interesting side note if Hardy appeals his suspension. He is reportedly thinking of doing so based on Brady's "win". Goodell will be in the news more than he wants.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2843 on: September 04, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

From the timeline I've read, nothing with the appeal process could impact 2015.  That can is kicked until at least 2016 for the time being.

As a Pats fan, I hope the NFL loses its appeal, but—should the NFL win and get Brady's suspension reinstated for next season—it would be so sweet to see the Pats win the Super Bowl this year and then Brady retire so he'd never have to serve the suspension.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2844 on: September 04, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I've heard people say he won't get fired because the NFL has made so much money during his tenure, but I really think that any one of us could have his job and the NFL would still make tons of money. Football is just that popular in this country.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2845 on: September 04, 2015, 11:08:36 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I've heard people say he won't get fired because the NFL has made so much money during his tenure, but I really think that any one of us could have his job and the NFL would still make tons of money. Football is just that popular in this country.

I don't know if it was Maury Brown or someone else that labeled Goodell a "useful idiot".   Think its a pretty solid label.

I do think you could put a handful of other people in that position and the machine would run itself and you would imagine it would improve from a public relations standpoint, if nothing else.

Problem is that I think the owners are content with having a target like Goodell taking all the arrows for them.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2846 on: September 04, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

And anyone defending Goodell should ask themselves this question: would any of these messes have happened under a Paul Tagliabue, David Stern, or Adam Silver?  I think not--at least not to this degree of ridiculousness.

So this notion that Goodell isn't replaceable is ridiculous. Maybe he does some things well--but that isn't good enough to be the commissioner of the biggest sport in America.

« Reply #2847 on: September 04, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I don't know if it was Maury Brown or someone else that labeled Goodell a "useful idiot".   Think its a pretty solid label.

I do think you could put a handful of other people in that position and the machine would run itself and you would imagine it would improve from a public relations standpoint, if nothing else.

Problem is that I think the owners are content with having a target like Goodell taking all the arrows for them.

Precisely. It's not that Goodell isn't replaceable -- in many ways the man is a moron, of course he's replacable -- it's that there's no reason to replace him. Can I get a show of hands of the fans here who won't watch the Patriots this season until Goodell is replaced?

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2848 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm still not onboard with the fire Goodell thinking, by the way (even though I agree that he's an idiot). Anyone care to convince me?

Do you agree there are probably any number of people who could do a better job?

Seems like a good reason to fire a dude making tens of millions of dollars a year to me.

Do a better job at what, though? As a commissioner, or as the guy who can totally and utterly screw up everything without alienating the fanbase or painting his bosses (the owners) as hideous and terrible people because he can sincerely claim that he's trying to protect the integrity of the shield?

Goodell wasn't the reason you could still buy women's Ray Rice shirts weeks after the video leaked, but Goodell is the one guy shouldering all the blame for how the league handled that situation and he didn't so much as bat an eye. There's an immense value in that for the NFL, which is reflected in his salary.

OK, I think I can agree that Goodell is probably as good as anybody at being a public relations punching bag.  He's a magician, in that sense -- pay attention to this stuff I'm doing very noticeably over here so that you don't focus on all of the stuff going on behind me.

If you think the commissioner could play a different, more positive, progressive role -- define that however you like -- then I think there are probably better options out there.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2849 on: September 04, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The issue is less about fans watching or not watching NFL games though it's an important consideration.  It's about whether advertisers and sponsors will lower their willingness to pay to support the product.  Goodell frequently bungles the public facing stuff like punishment. As an owner does that give you confidence about the private contractual stuff Goodell is doing with sponsors?
Celtics fan for life.