Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 599496 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2775 on: September 03, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Sure. I'm not defending him in particular (in fact I think I've said that I disagreed with his assessments more or less constantly in this thread) rather pointing out the value of paying attention to viewpoints that don't coincide with yours.

I'm not criticizing other lawyers who said the NFL had the stronger argument.  I respected those opinions.

« Reply #2776 on: September 03, 2015, 01:49:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sure. I'm not defending him in particular (in fact I think I've said that I disagreed with his assessments more or less constantly in this thread) rather pointing out the value of paying attention to viewpoints that don't coincide with yours.

I'm not criticizing other lawyers who said the NFL had the stronger argument.  I respected those opinions.

The thing that irked me with Munson was the arrogance he had every step of the way where he was applauding the Wells Report and basically calling the court case a slamdunk for the NFL.  He just seemed to be carrying water for the NFL throughout the whole process. 

This recaps it pretty well.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/03/lester-munson-espns-legal-expert-is-probably-still-convinced-that-tom-brady-has-no-chance/

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2777 on: September 03, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

The thing that irked me with Munson was the arrogance he had every step of the way where he was applauding the Wells Report and basically calling the court case a slamdunk for the NFL.  He just seemed to be carrying water for the NFL throughout the whole process. 

This recaps it pretty well.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/03/lester-munson-espns-legal-expert-is-probably-still-convinced-that-tom-brady-has-no-chance/

Either he is not a very good lawyer or he had some bias on this.

« Reply #2778 on: September 03, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's fair. Since I'm not a Pats fan (or a fan of the NFL) I don't care much about tone when it comes to this case.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2779 on: September 03, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
However I have no doubt that the Patriots fans will store this as yet another arrow in their largely-imagined "everyone in the NFL hates us because we're sooooooo goooooood" quiver. That is a certainty.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2780 on: September 03, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
However I have no doubt that the Patriots fans will store this as yet another arrow in their largely-imagined "everyone in the NFL hates us because we're sooooooo goooooood" quiver. That is a certainty.

I think Belichick is going to use this to motivate his players.

« Reply #2781 on: September 03, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't watch nfl or new england patriots but I supported Tom Brady because I don't like roger goodell
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #2782 on: September 03, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #2783 on: September 03, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
For the life of me I couldn't understand why Munson and some others were so confident in the NFL's case.  To me it seemed like they read the first line of precedent cases but not the text.  The law is pretty clear that Judges can set aside rulings when A, B or C happen and A, B and C all happened.  So much so I thought, and posted somewhere in this thread I couldn't see it going for the NFL.

« Reply #2784 on: September 03, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
People all over this blog hate Lebron. When the Yankees were dominant, people hated them. If you talk to big baseball fans of NL teams they all seem to hate the Cardinals. Great teams have always and will always be hated. When a team like the Patriots is so dominant for so long they are going to attract a huge band of "haters".

The Seahawks have been great for 2 years and everyone is already starting to hate them.

It is really difficult to find a really dominant sports team that is not hated. Sure each one comes with their excuses "I hate Lebron because he flops and is ignorant" or "I hate the Yankees because they buy all their players" or "I hate the Cardinals because they just think they are above it all"- real quote from a Reds fan, promptly agreed to by a dodgers fan

Tons of people hate Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and all the dominant soccer clubs. why? because they always win.

In baseball the Giants seem to have largely avoided mass hatred but their world series wins like the Red Sox have been punctuated by periods of serious suck.

There is a lot of validity to the "everyone hates us cus we are good" line of thought.

Allow me to list a few more:
Duke basketball
Hurricanes of late 80's
Bad Boy Pistons
The Cowboys when they were nasty (early 90s)
Tim Tebow picked up some haters in college, same with Jameis and Alabama
The SEC for football.

the list goes on. Great teams tend to be hated.

Then take into account that outside of Duke Basketball and the SEC(which being a conference is a little differerent) the Patriots dominance has lasted longer than any of these teams.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:52:07 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

The Teflon Tom
« Reply #2785 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

For those that don't know The Teflon Don, was the famous gangster John Gotti. And earlier I posted that they got nothing on Teflon Tom and I'm sticking to it.

How dare they accuse the Golden boy of anything. I know it's just a big scheme to get more money but geesh. All the world's a stage.

« Reply #2786 on: September 03, 2015, 03:01:51 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Largely imagined?  That went out the window around midnight after the AFC championship game, when the league, three rival teams and a law firm paid 5 million dollars engaged in a witch hunt, sting operation to stain the reputation of the greatest QB of all time and the best franchise of the current millennium.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2787 on: September 03, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I will say that Munson is consistent.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13572474/nfl-appeal-tom-brady-decision-lead-precedent-setting-court-ruling-lester-munson-writes

Q: The league announced it will appeal the ruling, so what happens now and what are the league's chances?

A: The league says it will not ask a court for the suspension to be upheld as it appeals the case, so Brady can play immediately. But there are reasons the league can and probably will succeed in its appeal of Berman's ruling:

First, the league's legal position remains strong. The rule that prevents federal judges from interfering with arbitrators' decisions is a powerful doctrine in American law. Berman's unexpected reasoning on the "notice" issue and on other issues is questionable. The most comparable decision in the rich history of NFL litigation was the similarly surprising ruling by U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin in 2004 that would have allowed Maurice Clarett to enter the draft before the three-year period specified in the collective bargaining agreement. Like Berman's decision, the Clarett victory was a surprise to legal experts, and the NFL succeeded in reversing the ruling in an appeal.

A second reason for the NFL to file an appeal is that the appeal would be in the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, a venue that the league selected when it filed the Brady case. League attorneys raced to the courthouse ahead of the Brady team to file litigation to keep this decision in the 2nd Circuit. The league has been successful in this court on previous occasions.

Finally, it is easy to envision the league attorneys thinking: "We just had the wrong judge." If so, why not take the case to three different judges in the higher court and see what happens? It will not happen quickly, but this is an appeal the NFL can win.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2788 on: September 03, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Largely imagined?  That went out the window around midnight after the AFC championship game, when the league, three rival teams and a law firm paid 5 million dollars engaged in a witch hunt, sting operation to stain the reputation of the greatest QB of all time and the best franchise of the current millennium.

Largely imagined. The entire deflategate debacle had/has much less to do with anything to do with The Patriots (although, as Donoghus has said throughout, the fact that they're a very well known franchise certainly escalated it) and much more to do with the national front office reeling from a series of PR blunders and circling in on an opportunity for the commissioner to reassert his authority on something that a child couldn't screw up.

The fact that he screwed it up is, of course, a whole lot of fun.

« Reply #2789 on: September 03, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Also I wasn't aware that Deflategate had anything to do with Joe Montana.  :P