Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 598805 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2715 on: September 03, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm still not onboard with the fire Goodell thinking, by the way (even though I agree that he's an idiot). Anyone care to convince me?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2716 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm still not onboard with the fire Goodell thinking, by the way (even though I agree that he's an idiot). Anyone care to convince me?

He won't get fired but I think the team owners should start thinking twice about the current league office.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2717 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:25 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

He's basically botched every major disciplinary action that comes his way. Even using a coin flip approach about what to do would have yielded better results.

When your failure rate is this high, you should lose your job.

« Reply #2718 on: September 03, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

« Reply #2719 on: September 03, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If he's reflecting the owners wishes I guess he should stay as he's pleasing his bosses.

If you consider his job protecting the image of the NFL, maintaining a relationship with the players, and maintaining the power of his office. He's done all of that extremely poorly. I would fire him myself.

« Reply #2720 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Link's not working for me.

Takes a bit to load.

Yeah I was getting error screens. Working now.
What, only 40 pages? I am disappoint.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2721 on: September 03, 2015, 10:52:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So awesome! While anything can happen in the courts, I have always been steadfast with my position regarding Tom's innocence (and I do think this reflects innocence).

Now, regarding those draft picks and the $1M...

« Reply #2722 on: September 03, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I think this is the first time that I've ever enjoyed reading ESPN comments.  The salt! 

« Reply #2723 on: September 03, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am going to post some thoughts as a prediction so I can be on the record and see how I do.  I am an engineer, not a lawyer so the Ideal Gas Law is my strength, not jurisprudence.  As an engineer, I see no proof that the balls were even tampered with so in my mind, nothing else really matters.  But I am an engineer and not a judge and I believe the judge, based on reported statements, is not seeing that point as definitively as me.  He seems to think that the guys may have done something even if Brady did not specifically order it.

On the law side, based on what I have read, I think the judge can rule that even though the collective bargaining agreement does stipulate that Goodell can arbitrate these matters, there is still an implied requirement for the NFL to execute this role in a reasonably fair manner.  I predict that the judge is going to say that the NFL abused the power granted to them in the CBA and went way overboard.  If this had actually been a fair and reasonable arbitration, then the judge would be very reluctant to overturn but since the NFL turned this into a kangaroo court, it is not really arbitration and the judge should have much more latitude to overturn.

The ruling will be in favor of Brady and the NFL will be ordered to rehear the arbitration but to do so in a way that meets the standard of a real arbitration if they want it to be upheld.  What happens from there, who knows.  I am not sure that there is a scenario where Goodell can preside over an arbitration and have it be fair.

Yes!!!!!!

A rare case where I am actually right.  Yes, I am patting myself on the back but this is a special situation.  Foxboro should be rocking tonight.

Go Pats!!!!!

Good for Judge Berman.

Roger's days are numbered.  He has done a poor job of player discipline and should be replaced.

Look out Pittsburgh, you are going to see one fired up Brady on Thursday.

« Reply #2724 on: September 03, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am going to post some thoughts as a prediction so I can be on the record and see how I do.  I am an engineer, not a lawyer so the Ideal Gas Law is my strength, not jurisprudence.  As an engineer, I see no proof that the balls were even tampered with so in my mind, nothing else really matters.  But I am an engineer and not a judge and I believe the judge, based on reported statements, is not seeing that point as definitively as me.  He seems to think that the guys may have done something even if Brady did not specifically order it.

On the law side, based on what I have read, I think the judge can rule that even though the collective bargaining agreement does stipulate that Goodell can arbitrate these matters, there is still an implied requirement for the NFL to execute this role in a reasonably fair manner.  I predict that the judge is going to say that the NFL abused the power granted to them in the CBA and went way overboard.  If this had actually been a fair and reasonable arbitration, then the judge would be very reluctant to overturn but since the NFL turned this into a kangaroo court, it is not really arbitration and the judge should have much more latitude to overturn.

The ruling will be in favor of Brady and the NFL will be ordered to rehear the arbitration but to do so in a way that meets the standard of a real arbitration if they want it to be upheld.  What happens from there, who knows.  I am not sure that there is a scenario where Goodell can preside over an arbitration and have it be fair.

Yes!!!!!!

A rare case where I am actually right.  Yes, I am patting myself on the back but this is a special situation.  Foxboro should be rocking tonight.

Go Pats!!!!!

Good for Judge Berman.

Roger's days are numbered.  He has done a poor job of player discipline and should be replaced.

Look out Pittsburgh, you are going to see one fired up Brady on Thursday.
Only partially right. Berman just vacated the suspension altogether instead of reordering arbitration.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2725 on: September 03, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
So awesome! While anything can happen in the courts, I have always been steadfast with my position regarding Tom's innocence (and I do think this reflects innocence).

In his ruling, Berman points out the the Patriots ownership and coaching staff were exonerated.  I wonder if Kraft will point to that to try to get the picks back.  I doubt it, but I hope so.

« Reply #2726 on: September 03, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

Except it doesn't reflect innocence. Innocence was of no part in the court case. This isn't to attack you but frustration with the entire conversation; both sides, those who look at this as a vindication of Brady and The Patriots, and those who yell cheaters, etc (neither a position I really enjoy). This is a judgement on The NFL's process of investigation and discipline. It has no comment upon any innocence or guilt.

It a) distorts the purpose to use it is any proof of innocence (no matter what may be true --- it also makes one look foolish for using it is as proof of innocence as that is readily debunked), and b) actually distracts from the bigger and more important issue which is the ridiculousness of The NFL and Roger Goodell's practices and procedures as commissioner. This spreads far beyond Brady and involves a myriad of issues, all of which this finding critiques. It that sense it is far bigger than Brady.

« Reply #2727 on: September 03, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
(Giggling like a little school girl)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Jkya1O_Sk

« Reply #2728 on: September 03, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also I don't know how many of you have seen this but it is glorious:
http://gawker-labs.com/goodell_punishment/#
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2729 on: September 03, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Schefty calling this an embarrassment for the NFL.  Not even hyperbole, IMO.

It is.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team