Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 594057 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2685 on: September 01, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We can call him Al.

defeated by the page break!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2686 on: September 01, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
People actually falling for this tweet.  SMH  :P

Judge Berman ?@judgeberman  1h1 hour ago
I will be announcing my ruling on Tom Brady's suspension today via Twitter at 4pm EST

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2687 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
People actually falling for this tweet.  SMH  :P

Judge Berman ?@judgeberman  1h1 hour ago
I will be announcing my ruling on Tom Brady's suspension today via Twitter at 4pm EST

Haha.  Sadly, there's probably a day in our future when stuff like this will happen.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2688 on: September 01, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
For what it's worth.

Bob McGovern
?@BobMcGovernJr
Richard Berman just issued an order saying he anticipates issuing his decision and order by the end of the week. #deflategate

« Reply #2689 on: September 01, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
The ironic thing is that months ago people were joking that the Wells Report was going to come out late Friday afternoon on one of these holiday weekends (Memorial, July 4th, Labor Day), we might actually get this ruling on that day.

« Reply #2690 on: September 01, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It seems like the judge really wants no part of ruling on this. IMO this means he either thinks the whole suit is ridiculous and/or he thinks a fair ruling is somewhere in the middle.

I could very well see the NFL winning simply because the Judge thinks that Brady deserves more than no punishment at all.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2691 on: September 01, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It seems like the judge really wants no part of ruling on this. IMO this means he either thinks the whole suit is ridiculous and/or he thinks a fair ruling is somewhere in the middle.

I could very well see the NFL winning simply because the Judge thinks that Brady deserves more than no punishment at all.

I suspect it means he does not want to set a precedent and even more so, he knows his ruling will be appealed and will then drag out for possibly a couple of years.  Therefore, he believes a settlement would have been better for everybody. 

« Reply #2692 on: September 01, 2015, 05:31:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Texans owner Bob McNair with some head scratching comments.

HOUSTON -- Texans owner Bob McNair said J.J. Watt would not have destroyed his cell phone if he faced the same situation as New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady had with his dispute with the NFL over deflated footballs.

McNair made his comments Tuesday in an appearance on Texans radio on Houston's Sports Radio 610.

"If it was J.J. Watt, I think he would have been cooperative, and it wouldn't be a question. ... I don't think J.J. would destroy his cell phone."

Texans owner Bob McNair
"What escalated the whole thing is that Brady and the Patriots were going to cooperate fully, and then when it came down to it, they didn't," McNair said. "If it was J.J. Watt, I think he would have been cooperative, and it wouldn't be a question. ... I don't think J.J. would destroy his cell phone."

After an investigation the NFL determined Brady and two ball boys conspired to deflate footballs in their 45-7 win over the Indianapolis Colts. Brady was suspended four games, then appealed the suspension to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who denied his appeal. He is now appealing the decision in federal court.

The radio hosts asked McNair on Tuesday if Watt would have been comfortable with his due process if faced with the same situation. The Texans host the Patriots on Dec. 13.

"Is there anything conclusive there? No, you don't have any conclusive evidence," McNair said. "But the whole idea is we want to make sure we have a competitive playing field that's level for everybody ... don't want people breaking the rules.
"

McNair added: "In the minds of somebody in that organization, they thought it was important. They thought it would give them a competitive advantage, and that's why they did it ... You just want to eliminate that kind of situation if you can."

« Reply #2693 on: September 01, 2015, 05:49:18 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

HOUSTON -- Texans owner Bob McNair said J.J. Watt would not have destroyed his cell phone if he faced the same situation as New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady had with his dispute with the NFL over deflated footballs.

McNair made his comments Tuesday in an appearance on Texans radio on Houston's Sports Radio 610.

"If it was J.J. Watt, I think he would have been cooperative, and it wouldn't be a question. ... I don't think J.J. would destroy his cell phone."

Texans owner Bob McNair
"What escalated the whole thing is that Brady and the Patriots were going to cooperate fully, and then when it came down to it, they didn't," McNair said. "If it was J.J. Watt, I think he would have been cooperative, and it wouldn't be a question. ... I don't think J.J. would destroy his cell phone."

After an investigation the NFL determined Brady and two ball boys conspired to deflate footballs in their 45-7 win over the Indianapolis Colts. Brady was suspended four games, then appealed the suspension to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who denied his appeal. He is now appealing the decision in federal court.

The radio hosts asked McNair on Tuesday if Watt would have been comfortable with his due process if faced with the same situation. The Texans host the Patriots on Dec. 13.

"Is there anything conclusive there? No, you don't have any conclusive evidence," McNair said. "But the whole idea is we want to make sure we have a competitive playing field that's level for everybody ... don't want people breaking the rules.
"

McNair added: "In the minds of somebody in that organization, they thought it was important. They thought it would give them a competitive advantage, and that's why they did it ... You just want to eliminate that kind of situation if you can."

Stephanie Stradley @StephStradley
McNair doesn't know truth of #Deflategate any more than Kraft knew truth of #Bountygate & #Bullygate. That is why -gates will keep happening

Stephanie Stradley ?@StephStradley 12m12 minutes ago
Bob McNair is a reasonable owner Reasonable owners don't read 1000s of pgs of documents They rely on NFL/news reports That are often wrong

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:58:45 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #2694 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

Texans owner Bob McNair

"

I didn't realize that Watt might be in the position of preparing footballs.  :P
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2695 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Last night, PFT surmised that free-agent kicker Jay Feely may have told Judge Richard M. Berman about the 2009 incident involving a Jets kicking ball during Feely’s unexpected trip to court in his capacity as a member of the NFL Players Association’s Executive Committee.

As it turns out, Feely did.

Appearing on The Doug Gottlieb Show, Feely said that he explained to Judge Berman the situation arising from a Jets-Patriots game.

“We talked about the similarities in that case and the differences in the way the NFL responded,” Feely said. “I didn’t get in trouble. I had no culpability in that case.”

As the kicker, Feely presumably would have been at least “generally aware” of the use of an unapproved piece of equipment by a Jets equipment employee, who was suspended as a result of the incident. But Feely was neither questioned nor disciplined.

It’s an important point, because the failure to investigate or to discipline Feely under similar circumstances shows that the NFL may have been acting arbitrarily in Brady’s case.

By Friday, we’ll find out whether Judge Berman agrees.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/01/feely-did-indeed-tell-judge-berman-about-the-jets-k-ball-incident/

« Reply #2696 on: September 02, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Texans owner Bob McNair

"

I didn't realize that Watt might be in the position of preparing footballs.  :P
Watt does everything.

« Reply #2697 on: September 02, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The longer this goes, the more I think it means Berman is siding with Brady.  If he were ruling for the NFL I would think his opinion would be short and not terribly complex, possibly just saying upheld and maybe citing a case or two of Courts deferring to arbitration in CBA agreements. 

I don't think he would go through all of the NFLPA's arguments and try to cite why they don't apply with reasoning and cite cases on them. 

If he is siding with Brady and the NFLPA he wouldn't just rest it on one issue, he would set a bunch of failures of the NFL to abide by the CBA and how each of them means the NFL can't win.  That sets up a much more difficult appeal for the NFL because the Appellate Court then has to reject each of the points and that would be hard to do.

That would take his clerks a lot longer to fashion than simply citing a couple cases and saying the Court defers to the arbiter.

« Reply #2698 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
The Associated Press ?@AP  9m9 minutes ago
BREAKING: Tom Brady beats NFL in 'Deflategate' court case, judge nullifies league's 4-game suspension.

« Reply #2699 on: September 03, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Berman nullifies the suspension.  Not on ESPN, but on Mike Reiss Twitter.

Down with Goodell!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/639441217844023296