Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596350 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2670 on: September 01, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If Brady wins, I'd like to see Kraft sue the NFL, if for no other reason than to blow this thing up so much that the other owners have no other choice but to fire Goodell.

But suing the NFL would not be in Kraft's best interests, and neither would replacing Goodell.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2671 on: September 01, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Seems like neither side ever really approached the negotiations with a willingness to make a competitive offer.

I don't think settlement would've served either side given the circumstances of this case.

The NFL dug themselves a pretty deep trench, yeah.

They did seem to go all in on this relatively early so any backing off for them would look extremely bad.  They passed the point of no return when they decided to address this thing with a cough...independent...cough report by Wells rather than nip it in the bud and just issue a fine or something.

If Brady is truly innocent, then he had no reason to budge whatsoever.  I could understand him accepting a fine or something for "non-cooperation" but that's about it. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2672 on: September 01, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Brady wins, I'd like to see Kraft sue the NFL, if for no other reason than to blow this thing up so much that the other owners have no other choice but to fire Goodell.

But suing the NFL would not be in Kraft's best interests, and neither would replacing Goodell.

Well, I think eventually, if the NFL kept getting its butt kicked in court or even if matters like this kept going to court, something would have to be done.

More likely, it would be addressing Goodell's powers as judge, jury, executioner rather than just axing the guy.  I've said it here a million times, the owners probably love him because he essentially takes the fall for everything and deflects things off the actual owners.  Plus, they're making a crapload of money (although I think anyone in that position could make them boatloads of money).

« Reply #2673 on: September 01, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
An article in today's Financial Post (a Canadian business newspaper) hammers the NFL on the science.

http://business.financialpost.com/f...-science-could-have-wrongly-smeared-tom-brady

"Cheap pressure gauges – and confusion about basic science – could have wrongly smeared Tom Brady as an NFL cheat

Playing out on the sports pages this summer has been yet another example of distorted pseudo-science – the Deflategate scandal – an incident which, in my opinion, would not have been an issue without defective scientific and statistical analysis by Exponent, the NFL’s technical consultants, and defective peer review by Daniel Marlow of Princeton. The NFL’s suspension of Tom Brady is under appeal and a decision is expected on Sept. 4, but the appeal will not turn on the underlying science and statistics, but on procedural issues of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. But any fair-minded person ought to be repulsed (though perhaps not surprised) that the decision will rely in any way on pseudo science."....

« Reply #2674 on: September 01, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Well, I think eventually, if the NFL kept getting its butt kicked in court or even if matters like this kept going to court, something would have to be done.

More likely, it would be addressing Goodell's powers as judge, jury, executioner rather than just axing the guy.  I've said it here a million times, the owners probably love him because he essentially takes the fall for everything and deflects things off the actual owners.  Plus, they're making a crapload of money (although I think anyone in that position could make them boatloads of money).

And that's the thing. I don't necessarily think it's in Kraft's best interest or the League's to keep Goodell around.

First, I truly feel that nearly any semi-competent person could make money for the NFL given it's enormous popularity. It's not like Goodell had to really push the networks that much to give the league enormous amounts of cash.

Second, the NFL is obsessed with maintaining this clean image, but I think it matters less for the NFL than it does other sports. It's a violent sport and I don't think people really expect stand-up citizens in it. Moreover, I think you can make the argument that Goodell's perpetual botching of discipline is causing the league way more harm than if he just had overlooked it (not that I support that, but as an observation).

Finally, even if Goodell is helping the league a little bit and his successor is slightly less effective at making the league money, how is that really affecting Kraft?  He makes 500 million instead of 525 million?

It just seems to me that Kraft is an integrity guy and that if he perceives that Goodell is corrupt, he'll go after him even if it meant losing a little money just as he did when he chose to keep the Pats in MA over a much sweeter deal in CT.

« Reply #2675 on: September 01, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
You would be right if Kraft really was an integrity guy. I don't know if that's actually the case when it comes to the workings of the NFL.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2676 on: September 01, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think blaming Goodell is misdirected. He is just doing the work of the other owners, who are trying to punish the Patriots for their arrogance, and pushing of the envelope.  This entire thing was based on the urban legend that the Patriots were deflating footballs, probably around for years.  The same one that accused them of interfering with radio frequencies, bugging locker rooms, stretching the eligible receiver rules.  Problem is, that the vast majority of owners will always win in the end, because they will always control the league.  Poor Roger is beholden to their directive. If they told him to drop the charges or to settle, it would have happened. The last thing he wants to do is lose his $35mm annual salary.

« Reply #2677 on: September 01, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think blaming Goodell is misdirected. He is just doing the work of the other owners, who are trying to punish the Patriots for their arrogance, and pushing of the envelope.  This entire thing was based on the urban legend that the Patriots were deflating footballs, probably around for years.  The same one that accused them of interfering with radio frequencies, bugging locker rooms, stretching the eligible receiver rules.  Problem is, that the vast majority of owners will always win in the end, because they will always control the league.  Poor Roger is beholden to their directive. If they told him to drop the charges or to settle, it would have happened. The last thing he wants to do is lose his $35mm annual salary.
If Goodell didn't have the support of a good number of prominent owners, he would have been instructed to back off long ago.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2678 on: September 01, 2015, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If I were the Judge in this case, I'd temporarily set aside the arbitration award as it did not follow federal law because, a) the arbiter was not independent, b) the investigator who derived his authority from the arbiter was not independent and c) the NFLPA was not afforded due process in several areas which I don't want to list here.  I'd say, any of these problems would alone be enough to set aside the arbitration.

Then, at the expense of the NFL, I'd appoint an independent investigator AND a new neutral arbiter to start the process over looking at both the NFL and the Patriots and Brady.  Everyone now would be under penalty of perjury in a Federal Court and also face contempt charges for not compliance.

I'd then give the NFL the option to drop the case and get the temporary part of the order changed to permanent or if they really think Brady and the Patriots are guilty, let them pursue it to the end with due process.  It seems like if each side believes they are right, that should suit both parties.  Then they don't have to clog up the appellate courts, I don't risk getting my ruling overturned and we can get back to hearing important cases.

If the NFL drops it, and I were Brady and innocent, I'd sue the NFL and all those involved for defamation.  Would I win?  More likely than not, no.  But I'd try to get all the dirt out of the NFL and Goodell and put them through what they put me through.  If Pash took out all the innocent stuff from the Wells report then published it, I'm not sure that isn't a winning case.

« Reply #2679 on: September 01, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
What have they put him through? A hard life making millions upon millions while being married to a super model, banging the nanny and getting away with it?

Yeah, real aggrieved lifestyle there.

edit: if you're trying to say that he's innocent of getting his footballs treated, then I suggest you move out from under the rock and find a new place to live. The issue has never really been about whether or not he asked for his balls to be altered from regulation (he did. I would bet thousands of dollars he did. Every NFL player does it, to some degree -- we've seen this ad nauseum over the last few months) the issue has always been about the disproportionate punishment and Goodell's authority to issue inconsistent discipline with impunity.

« Reply #2680 on: September 01, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What have they put him through? A hard life making millions upon millions while being married to a super model, banging the nanny and getting away with it?

Yeah, real aggrieved lifestyle there.

edit: if you're trying to say that he's innocent of getting his footballs treated, then I suggest you move out from under the rock and find a new place to live. The issue has never really been about whether or not he asked for his balls to be altered from regulation (he did. I would bet thousands of dollars he did. Every NFL player does it, to some degree -- we've seen this ad nauseum over the last few months) the issue has always been about the disproportionate punishment and Goodell's authority to issue inconsistent discipline with impunity.
banging the nanny?  what is this, Star Magazine?

« Reply #2681 on: September 01, 2015, 02:33:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Whoops that was Arnold Schwarzenegger. Regardless, I agree, that is definitely the part of my post that deserves your attention and comment. Absolutely solid thinking.

« Reply #2682 on: September 01, 2015, 02:35:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Whoops that was Arnold Schwarzenegger. Regardless, I agree, that is definitely the part of my post that deserves your attention and comment. Absolutely solid thinking.

Ben Affleck too.

« Reply #2683 on: September 01, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Who was on the plane with Brady, thus proving that Matt Damon was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

« Reply #2684 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Ben Affleck too.
And Heidi Klum (or was that the bodyguard).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip