Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 598465 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2625 on: August 31, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
::)

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN
NFL never made formal settlement offer, but indicated willing to cut suspension to 3 games if Brady admitted DeflateGate guilt. No deal.

So basically they weren't willing to settle at all. Three games and guilt? Pah-lease!

« Reply #2626 on: August 31, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
This is really ridiculous. Goodell is acting like a child. I just don't get how the NFL can say with a straight face that Brady's alleged crime is on par with using steroids or other major crimes that have resulted in 3 to 4 game suspensions throughout the history of the NFL.

« Reply #2627 on: August 31, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not a fan of the Patriots, not a fan of Brady... but I'm really hoping for Goodell's demise.

« Reply #2628 on: August 31, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is really ridiculous. Goodell is acting like a child. I just don't get how the NFL can say with a straight face that Brady's alleged crime is on par with using steroids or other major crimes that have resulted in 3 to 4 game suspensions throughout the history of the NFL.

Don't forget the 1st and 4th round picks, as well as the $1M. Goodell really is going all-in on this one.

« Reply #2629 on: August 31, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN
NFL never made formal settlement offer, but indicated willing to cut suspension to 3 games if Brady admitted DeflateGate guilt. No deal.

That's basically an offer that says "Kiss my behind."
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2630 on: August 31, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN

So basically they weren't willing to settle at all. Three games and guilt? Pah-lease!
Pretty much, unless they really expected Brady to admit to perjury. #NotHappening.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2631 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm a die hard NFL fan but this whole thing has really made me unhappy with the league. I'm one of those guys who watches all day on Sunday and haven't missed a Pats game in years. But after all this I have a hard time getting excited about the start of football and most likely will not watch half the NFL games I usually do. The NFL has made a mistake here and I hope it effects them.

« Reply #2632 on: August 31, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN

Do we know what Brady's position was?  I mean if Brady was saying I will not accept any games and won't admit anything, why would you expect the NFL to be much less than they were at.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2633 on: August 31, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN

Do we know what Brady's position was?  I mean if Brady was saying I will not accept any games and won't admit anything, why would you expect the NFL to be much less than they were at.

Brady is willing to accept a fine and supposedly was open to accepting one game.  Demanding him to admit to the crime of perjury is hardly an acceptable starting point of a settlement.

« Reply #2634 on: August 31, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

« Reply #2635 on: August 31, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN

Brady is willing to accept a fine and supposedly was open to accepting one game.  Demanding him to admit to the crime of perjury is hardly an acceptable starting point of a settlement.

The whole point of a compromise is that both sides start at extremes and work their way towards a common ground in the center. Doesn't make sense for the NFL to start much lower than what they did.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2636 on: August 31, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN

The whole point of a compromise is that both sides start at extremes and work their way towards a common ground in the center. Doesn't make sense for the NFL to start much lower than what they did.

It was above and beyond the punishment that they issued and they weren't willing to take it off the table.  That's not an attempt to compromise.

« Reply #2637 on: August 31, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Gary Myers
?@garymyersNYDN

I understand your point but I think there is "lowballing" vs. "good faith negotiation".  One is a game and the other is real.  If you were selling your house for $300,000 and I came in at an offer of $200,000 -- you may not think I was serious about trying to buy the house.   

« Reply #2638 on: August 31, 2015, 06:28:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Sure, but at this point in the process, you'd think the sides would have found more middle ground than "3 games and admission of guilt + crime of perjury."
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2639 on: August 31, 2015, 06:30:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
https://twitter.com/amilst44

Quote from: Alan Milstein
Here are takeaways from today. First, a bit unusual for the Judge making the decision to engage in settlement discussions and not Magistrate

Second, asking counsel if they wanted to add anything for the record tells me the Judge has his decision and thinks an appeal is likely.

Both sides, but certainly Brady's, believe whatever Judge Berman decides will be affirmed on appeal.

Because of that, if Brady losses, which I doubt, an appeal carries the great risk of having to sit out four games at the end of the season,

Only the NFL is certain to appeal. So the Judge's comments, if anything, suggest a Brady win.
- Mark Twain