Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 599863 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1680 on: July 28, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
The statement from the league...

“On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed,” the league statement read. “He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone. ?During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.”

This is really hurts Brady in my opinion...again, what he actually did isn't that big of a deal in terms of on the field help in winning games, but the optics of this are NOT good for Brady.  For me this shows me that Brady had to choose the lesser of two evils...he obviously felt that getting heat for destroying his phone wouldn't be as bad as getting heat for what was actually on the phone

I'm not turning over my PRIVATE cell phone just so that some league investigator can take a peak at some selective messages.

Sorry, but I'd do the same whether I was guilty or not, doubly so if I was a celebrity / public figure.

We'll see them in Federal court, things should get interesting.
Yeah... there's a number of reasons I'd destroy my cell phone rather than let it be analyzed by a third party.  None of these reasons are related to deflating footballs.

Brady supposedly texts a lot. I can easily imagine that there are texts he'd rather not get leaked and the the NFL's promise that his texts wouldn't get leaked is laughable. Besides, they had an air tight investigative report and the employees' phones.

This is all back-pedaling because the Wells Report is so blatantly flawed that it looks like a frame job and credible researchers are calling them on it. Forget the science, the first thing you do in a statistical study is look at the completeness and accuracy of the data and you never, ever use the data from one source in a selective manner as they did with the chief referee. The guys who did the report aren't stupid, but hacks they are. They were told what conclusion to reach. It wasn't the first time that the firm put out a report like this that requires a informed reader to suspend belief.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/18/business/la-fi-toyota-exponent18-2010feb18

When some of the world's best-known companies faced disputes over secondhand smoke, toxic waste in the jungle and asbestos, they all turned to the same source for a staunch defense: Exponent Inc.

Now that same engineering and consulting firm has been hired by Toyota Motor Corp. as it seeks to fend off claims that sudden acceleration in its vehicles could be caused by problems in its electronic throttle systems.

A 56-page report that Menlo Park, Calif.-based Exponent sent to Congress on Feb. 9 found that the system behaved as intended and that Exponent was "unable to induce . . . unintended acceleration or behavior that might be a precursor to such an event."

But Exponent's research has come under fire from critics, including engineers, attorneys and academics who say the company tends to deliver to clients the reports they need to mount a public defense.

"If I were Toyota, I wouldn't have picked somebody like Exponent to do analysis," said Stanton Glantz, a cardiologist at UC San Francisco who runs a database on the tobacco industry that contains thousands of pages of Exponent research arguing, among other things, that secondhand smoke does not cause cancer. "I would have picked a firm with more of a reputation of neutrality."

Mike Gaulke, executive chairman of Exponent and an employee of the company since 1992, called critiques that it produced only favorable research a "cheap shot."

"Do we tell our clients a lot of what they don't want to hear? Absolutely," Gaulke said.

He said the firm often comes up with results that don't favor clients, although he couldn't provide specific examples.

The bolded part you just quoted is my boss. He is about 100 feet away from me in his office right now.

Did he read the Wells report? I have a lot of experience with applied statistics in business and think it's a piece of crap. Made as indicated, passes the weight test, and the charts looks good and comprehensive. Certainly would convince the media to whom all this stuff is ancient Greek, but it's lipstick on a pig. The dataset was compromised and the decisions made by Exponent in cherry picking what data to use and exclude from the very same person is ipso facto cause for dismissal.

Looking at it the first time, I was plagued by the thought that with all the uncertainty of the dataset, how did they come to a very specific conclusion with a unusually high level of statistical confidence. IOW, they were making the case that it was an open and shut case of guilt based on the evidence when I was thinking they couldn't possibly come to a conclusion unless they knew the conclusion at the start.

If you can ask what he thinks of it, please do.

I will also add that exponent is a company that I investigate for part of my work (I am in tobacco control policy work). They routinely were hired to by the major tobacco companies to publish research that had industry friendly results. Really am surprised to see the NFL involved with them.

« Reply #1681 on: July 28, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I will also add that exponent is a company that I investigate for part of my work (I am in tobacco control policy work). They routinely were hired to by the major tobacco companies to publish research that had industry friendly results. Really am surprised to see the NFL involved with them.
Because it is surprising that the NFL needs and NFL-friendly report on this? ;)

Either way, this has long moved past the science, which is probably bogus.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1682 on: July 28, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
People are STILL talking about this?  Wow.

« Reply #1683 on: July 28, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I guess I am more surprised that they selected a company that has been outed in the past for its corruption for big business. It is a real struggle to find out what what consulting companies are legitimate and which are not. Exponent has already made its' bed and you can do a google search and find a lot of information about them. However, there are tons of think tanks and consulting companies changing names and popping up every day that nobody knows whether are corrupt or not. Maybe I have a weird perspective cause of the work I do and they have come up repeatedly in my work.

« Reply #1684 on: July 28, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
This beat LA, I'm so sickened by what was one of my favorite sports, is just been turned into a soap opy. Really really sad.

« Reply #1685 on: July 28, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I guess I am more surprised that they selected a company that has been outed in the past for its corruption for big business. It is a real struggle to find out what what consulting companies are legitimate and which are not. Exponent has already made its' bed and you can do a google search and find a lot of information about them. However, there are tons of think tanks and consulting companies changing names and popping up every day that nobody knows whether are corrupt or not. Maybe I have a weird perspective cause of the work I do and they have come up repeatedly in my work.
It is different when you need scientific analysis as a part of your daily operations, and when it's a one-off thing, I presume. Google search or no google search.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1686 on: July 28, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
And here go...

Jim TrotterVerified account
?@JimTrotter_NFL
Tom Brady has authorized the NFLPA to appeal his case in federal court, per source.

Awesome. I'm glad to see him go forward with this.

If he's going forward with this, all you can be glad about is that he's attempting to get back on the field.  His legacy though is now permanently stained.  The fact that he had his phone destroyed is a massive detail...even if he goes to court, wins, and gets this down to 0 games, Patriot haters can say "well you know why he won?  Because they had no evidence because he destroyed his phone"

Now again, if you're saying awesome just because he's fighting to get back on the field, then sure.  But fighting for his "legacy" is now a dead battle.  It's over.

His legacy isn't stained at all, that's just the narrative fan in you talking. It's not nearly as 'stained' as, say, Ray Lewis -- who's legacy isn't in particularly poor standing at all, at least as his play is concerned.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1687 on: July 28, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
People are STILL talking about this?  Wow.

You do understand there was a rather significant development in this today, right?  ::)

I don't think the words 'rather significant' should ever be used to describe any part of this 'story' ;).

« Reply #1688 on: July 28, 2015, 07:28:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
And here go...

?@JimTrotter_NFL
Tom Brady has authorized the NFLPA to appeal his case in federal court, per source.

If he's going forward with this, all you can be glad about is that he's attempting to get back on the field.  His legacy though is now permanently stained.  The fact that he had his phone destroyed is a massive detail...even if he goes to court, wins, and gets this down to 0 games, Patriot haters can say "well you know why he won?  Because they had no evidence because he destroyed his phone"

Now again, if you're saying awesome just because he's fighting to get back on the field, then sure.  But fighting for his "legacy" is now a dead battle.  It's over.

His legacy isn't stained at all, that's just the narrative fan in you talking. It's not nearly as 'stained' as, say, Ray Lewis -- who's legacy isn't in particularly poor standing at all, at least as his play is concerned.

Look, I'm not a football fan, but how is Brady's legacy not at all tarnished after this?  In how many scandals do he and Belichick have to be involved before someone puts two and two together?

« Reply #1689 on: July 28, 2015, 07:57:04 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
And here go...

?@JimTrotter_NFL

Look, I'm not a football fan, but how is Brady's legacy not at all tarnished after this?  In how many scandals do he and Belichick have to be involved before someone puts two and two together?

I think the larger point is that these things fade from memory for the most part. You do realize the guy Dos is referring to is "more likely than not" to know about murder of two young men and/or have been involved in it. That man is now on national tv broadcasts and is trotted out as an ambassador of the game. If he can overcome that, I think it is more likely than not that Brady can overcome more likely than not knowing about the deflation of some footballs.

Unless you are Mark Brunell and facing bankruptcy from bad whattaburger investments, this is isn't the kind of stuff to cry over.

« Reply #1690 on: July 28, 2015, 08:03:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I am livid right now!

According to the NFLPA and Brady's agent, Don Yee, all of Brady's phone records, including calls and texts, were provided to the league. Brady destroying his cell phone (as every mega celebrity probably does), is totally irrelevant.

#fireGoodell
#freebrady
#thisisasmearcampaign

NFLPA - http://deadspin.com/nflpa-calls-tom-bradys-upheld-suspension-outrageous-1720704637?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Yee - http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4782927/tom-bradys-agent-don-yee-rips-nfl-in-strongly-worded-statement

« Reply #1691 on: July 28, 2015, 08:41:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Here in Cincinnati people think he deserves it.   I think he got caught doing what all quarterbacks do.  I think all pros do stuff for an edge.

« Reply #1692 on: July 28, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
...brilliant series of posts...

Did he read the Wells report? I have a lot of experience with applied statistics in business and think it's a piece of crap. Made as indicated, passes the weight test, and the charts looks good and comprehensive. Certainly would convince the media to whom all this stuff is ancient Greek, but it's lipstick on a pig. The dataset was compromised and the decisions made by Exponent in cherry picking what data to use and exclude from the very same person is ipso facto cause for dismissal.

Looking at it the first time, I was plagued by the thought that with all the uncertainty of the dataset, how did they come to a very specific conclusion with a unusually high level of statistical confidence. IOW, they were making the case that it was an open and shut case of guilt based on the evidence when I was thinking they couldn't possibly come to a conclusion unless they knew the conclusion at the start.

If you can ask what he thinks of it, please do.

I could give you a very educated guess that he did not read it, he is about as uninterested in sports as anyone know and wouldn't really waste his time analyzing statistics for something that he is not interested in. I could ask him to do it, but I am not sure that would be worth me using a favor for :). On a related note though, he is a really interesting guy that pops up on all sorts of thing so it was a trip to see him quoted on celtics blog. I recommend everyone here see the documentary that is out right now merchants of doubt. It is about the corruption of science and he is on screen for about 20 minutes of it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/merchants_of_doubt/

Thanks. Will look it up. Climate change is a major interest and the industry BS is criminal. Have 3 scientists in my extended family and they are all the same as your boss. Monomaniacal focus.

« Reply #1693 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Should be an interesting Federal Appeal. The NFL really loaded their appeal ruling to win the appeal. Goodell basically concluded that Exponent was correct and every other independent scientist was wrong because Exponent spent so much more time doing experiments. Hard to assail that type of logic.

« Reply #1694 on: July 28, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I am livid right now!

According to the NFLPA and Brady's agent, Don Yee, all of Brady's phone records, including calls and texts, were provided to the league. Brady destroying his cell phone (as every mega celebrity probably does), is totally irrelevant.

I don't think the "records" were copies of the texts.  Rather, if anything, they'd be copies of phone numbers Brady called / texted.  Apparently, Brady told the NFL to dig through the records, and to contact the cell phone provider for the info they wanted.  It's doubtful that the cell phone company would have complied with that request without a subpoena, and even then, companies aren't always compliant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes