Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596402 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1635 on: July 28, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
And now this..

Scott Soshnick
?@soshnick
BREAKING: @NFL asks federal court to confirm Tom Brady suspension. Complaint filed in Manhattan #sportsbiz #NFL #preemptivestrike

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1636 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
And now this..

Scott Soshnick
?@soshnick
BREAKING: @NFL asks federal court to confirm Tom Brady suspension. Complaint filed in Manhattan #sportsbiz #NFL #preemptivestrike

This means the NFL is asking for a ruling before Brady can even file an appeal? Is this just flexing muscles?

« Reply #1637 on: July 28, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
The statement from the league...

“On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed,” the league statement read. “He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone. ?During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.”

This is really hurts Brady in my opinion...again, what he actually did isn't that big of a deal in terms of on the field help in winning games, but the optics of this are NOT good for Brady.  For me this shows me that Brady had to choose the lesser of two evils...he obviously felt that getting heat for destroying his phone wouldn't be as bad as getting heat for what was actually on the phone

I'm not turning over my PRIVATE cell phone just so that some league investigator can take a peak at some selective messages.

Sorry, but I'd do the same whether I was guilty or not, doubly so if I was a celebrity / public figure.

We'll see them in Federal court, things should get interesting.

Listen, I'm as big of a Patriots fan as there is, but c'mon...how can anyone continue to think Brady isn't guilty here?  Regardless of whether or not his phone is private, he instructed someone to destroy it either on the day or just before the day that Ted Wells spoke to him.  It's one thing to not turn it over, but destroy it?...how can you not conclude from that that Brady is hiding something?

I'm not a Patriots fan, in fact I hate them, so this has nothing to do with fandom. ALSO, in which part of my post did I mention that Brady was innocent? I didn't. I don't care for it. I only care about handing out punishment by the league because someone didn't care to hand over a PRIVATE cell phone. That's the issue here.

You keep saying private cell phone...HE WASN'T ASKED TO TURN OVER HIS PHONE.  He was asked to turn over individual texts that he felt related to the investigation

Just the same, even in this minor scope, I'm not going to debilitate my privacy. If destroying personal belongings is the way to preserve my right to privacy, I'll go ahead and do it regardless of guilt or not.

And that's fine.  But all the NFL can do is put pieces together.  And from their view, they see that the guy who is in the middle of this, the guy who was to be questioned by investigators, not just denied giving his phone, but he had it destroyed the same day he was to be interviewed...what else is the league supposed to think?

Not sure, but I'd think someone values his privacy.

This whole cell phone business is a complete red herring from Goodell... a complete distraction to anything of real relevance. Trying to get popular opinion on their side.

It's dirty politics.

Once this goes to court, we'll see how much this is a factor... it won't be.

So then just don't turn over the phone...but he didn't just keep it in his pocket, he had his assistant destroy it.  There's privacy, and then there's covering something up.

I for one destroy all my phones when I'm done with them.

And I don't know what can of worms I'm opening just for this simple allowance, better I nip things in the bud and roll with it.

But to do it THE DAY you're being interviewed in a league investigation?...that's a little too convenient for me, for a lot of people, and apparently for the league too.

« Reply #1638 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
But to do it THE DAY you're being interviewed in a league investigation?...that's a little too convenient for me, for a lot of people, and apparently for the league too.
The fact is they don't know when it was destroyed, hence the "on or before" moniker.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1639 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
And now this..

Scott Soshnick
?@soshnick

This means the NFL is asking for a ruling before Brady can even file an appeal? Is this just flexing muscles?

Probably choosing courts.  I believe the NFLPA normally files in Minneapolis, where they've had success with a judge or two.

« Reply #1640 on: July 28, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
And now this..

Scott Soshnick
?@soshnick

Probably choosing courts.  I believe the NFLPA normally files in Minneapolis, where they've had success with a judge or two.

Agreed.  NY court more likely to confirm arbitration finding than MN or MA court.  NFLPA or Brady can still file in one of those courts, but will get consolidated into a single action. Leave it for the litigators to decide which court will get to hear it. 

« Reply #1641 on: July 28, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
As bad as this looks for Brady, the one thing the Patriots and Pats fans need to hang their hat on is that Belichick hasn't been involved in this at all.

Stephen A. Smith was right about this, so let's assume he's right about other things he said today...he implied that the reason Bob Kraft ultimately accepted the team penalties for this was because he didn't want the league to investigate further and find out if Bill Belichick had anything to do with this.  Part of the deal for Belichick's punishment with spygate was that if he were to ever be implicated in another kind of cheating scandal again, he could be banished from the league.  And what's worse?  Losing the quarterback for 4 games, or the coach for a year, maybe even forever?

Given how much control Belichick has of the franchise, how the common joke is that nobody goes to the bathroom in Gillette stadium without him knowing about it?...and yet he didn't know about the deflation of footballs?...As much as it sucks that this is happening to Brady, there's the chance that it could've been ALOT worse.  The stain on the franchise because of spygate is at least arguable...if Belichick gets implicated in deflategate too, well then that unequivocally puts an asterisk and stain on the entire Belichick era Patriot legacy

« Reply #1642 on: July 28, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
And now this..

Scott Soshnick
?@soshnick

Agreed.  NY court more likely to confirm arbitration finding than MN or MA court.  NFLPA or Brady can still file in one of those courts, but will get consolidated into a single action. Leave it for the litigators to decide which court will get to hear it.

I'm not convinced anymore this even goes to court.  The fact that Brady destroyed his phone GREATLY damages his chances of winning in court.  He very well may end up missing 4 games.

« Reply #1643 on: July 28, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
And here we go...

Jim TrotterVerified account
?@JimTrotter_NFL
Tom Brady has authorized the NFLPA to appeal his case in federal court, per source.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:18:58 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1644 on: July 28, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
And here go...

?@JimTrotter_NFL
Tom Brady has authorized the NFLPA to appeal his case in federal court, per source.

Awesome. I'm glad to see him go forward with this.

« Reply #1645 on: July 28, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
And now this..

Scott Soshnick
?@soshnick

I'm not convinced anymore this even goes to court.  The fact that Brady destroyed his phone GREATLY damages his chances of winning in court.  He very well may end up missing 4 games.

Disagree. Let it play out. NFL wants everyone to believe Brady destroyed his phone the moment before he was about to be questioned. Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. But the fact that the NFL botched all this from the start means you've got to take everything they say with a grain of salt.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1646 on: July 28, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
And here go...

?@JimTrotter_NFL

Awesome. I'm glad to see him go forward with this.

If he's going forward with this, all you can be glad about is that he's attempting to get back on the field.  His legacy though is now permanently stained.  The fact that he had his phone destroyed is a massive detail...even if he goes to court, wins, and gets this down to 0 games, Patriot haters can say "well you know why he won?  Because they had no evidence because he destroyed his phone"

Now again, if you're saying awesome just because he's fighting to get back on the field, then sure.  But fighting for his "legacy" is now a dead battle.  It's over.

« Reply #1647 on: July 28, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If he's going forward with this, all you can be glad about is that he's attempting to get back on the field.  His legacy though is now permanently stained. 

I'm sorry, I couldn't read your post because of the glare from Tom's rings.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1648 on: July 28, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell

If he's going forward with this, all you can be glad about is that he's attempting to get back on the field.  His legacy though is now permanently stained. 

Hey man I'm with you, I'm all about that glare too...but the fact is, outside of the 6 and a half New England states, he's toast

« Reply #1649 on: July 28, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I still can't read your post... [dang] glare! I hate Tom Brady!