Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 600078 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1575 on: May 23, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wait, someone here thought it was plausible that an equipment guy would deflate footballs AT THE SIDELINES during a game? Have you noticed how many cameras there are out there during a football game? How many players and team officials and players from the opposite team? If the Patriots were doing that, there would have been zero need for the Colts to tip the league. Please.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1576 on: May 23, 2015, 07:39:24 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One of my female coworkers pointed out she thought it was stupid that the NFL was trying to paint McNally as a liar for saying he used the urinal when there was only a toilet. She was like "Well of course he said he used a urinal. He's a guy. What guy is gonna say 'I used the toilet'? What is he? French?"

I think she has a point there. I don't think I've said "I'm gonna use the toilet" since I was 6 and not even in countries where you have to say that.  I'm not even 100% sure American plumbers use the word.

« Reply #1577 on: May 23, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
One of my female coworkers pointed out she thought it was stupid that the NFL was trying to paint McNally as a liar for saying he used the urinal when there was only a toilet. She was like "Well of course he said he used a urinal. He's a guy. What guy is gonna say 'I used the toilet'? What is he? French?"

I think she has a point there. I don't think I've said "I'm gonna use the toilet" since I was 6 and not even in countries where you have to say that.  I'm not even 100% sure American plumbers use the word.

Wait... what?!  During Wells' 7+ hour interrogation of McNally, McNally referred to a toilet as a urinal?  Guilty!

In hundreds of text messages with the guy responsible for inflating and deflating dozens of footballs at a time, Wells found a couple instances where the word deflate was used... Guilty!

Wells' investigation looks a lot like....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

« Reply #1578 on: May 23, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

I would sooner announce that I am gonna use the toilet than gonna use the urinal.. More likely than either, I'd say Im gonna use the bathroom.  Or... Gotta pee.  Now that I think of it...  Dang, have to get up.

« Reply #1579 on: June 13, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #1580 on: June 13, 2015, 09:50:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Couple interesting points in this recent NYTimes article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/opinion/deflating-deflategate.html?_r=0

And

http://www.aei.org/publication/on-wells-report/

That's an understatement. This report, which very extensively reviewed the data and assumptions compiled by the Wells Report, took it to task, basically concluding that it is unlikely the Patriots intentionally deflated the footballs, and that the Wells Report was unreliable.  While it should be useful to Brady in his appeal, Goodell is such a dunce that he will say "I still stand behind Ted Wells."  This case is going to end up in court. Hope Brady fights it until the end.

Also curious why only Mike Reiss mentions the report at ESPN. Does not make their front page; more interested in Bryant's threat not to play. (yawn) I guess only negative news makes the front page on ESPN especially concerning the Pats...

« Reply #1581 on: June 13, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
TP boscel!! Thanks for forwarding the articles.  Really interesting. Boston media should push this hard.

How about an ESPN lead-in like this:

Wells Report Unreliable: More Probable Than Not

« Reply #1582 on: June 13, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TP boscel!! Thanks for forwarding the articles.  Really interesting. Boston media should push this hard.

How about an ESPN lead-in like this:

Wells Report Unreliable: More Probable Than Not

TP NG!!

Re: #DeflateGate Washington Post rips Goodel
« Reply #1583 on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:13 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/as-brady-appeal-nears-roger-goodell-is-stuck-in-a-corner-of-his-own-creation/2015/06/17/a5fcbaa6-1456-11e5-89f3-61410da94eb1_story.html

The AEI analysis suggests that NFL Players Association Director DeMaurice Smith was right when he said the Wells report “delivered exactly what the client wanted.” It suggests that this wasn’t an investigation; it was a frame job by the commissioner’s office desperate to reestablish its authority.

I share this opinion and think the AEI report was putting the best possible face on the Report's errors.  There were gaping holes in the Wells report when it was issued which calls into the question the competence of it's preparers and/or the intent of the Report.  I have a fair amount of relevant expertise.  It's tough to understand why the I's weren't dotted and T's not crossed before the Report was issued and the obvious questions addressed instead of issuing a Report to the media. The Report passes the weight test, but is otherwise professionally deficient. One can come up with some convoluted explanations, but the easiest was this Report was made as indicated.

« Reply #1584 on: June 23, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Appeal hearing is (quite quietly) going on now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1585 on: July 24, 2015, 12:05:22 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
NFL keeps screwing this up more and more. Now Goodell is apparently going to stick to the 4 game suspension because a few owners are pressuring in the hopes he goes to court, loses, and then can claim to the other owners it wasn't his fault and simultaneously placate Kraft and Pats fans.

Goodell is such a buffoon. When faced with tough decisions, he consistently makes the wrong decisions and behaves in the exact opposite way that a true leader is supposed to behave.

« Reply #1586 on: July 24, 2015, 12:16:39 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
John braikis from ESPN  sports science, debunked all claims that a deflated ball would help. In fact he proved that it makes the ball travel slighty slower.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:27:45 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #1587 on: July 24, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Goddell is such a Clown.

« Reply #1588 on: July 24, 2015, 12:26:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
The NFL is too corrupt now.

« Reply #1589 on: July 24, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Goddell is such a Clown.

He has certainly made himself look foolish again. Not to mention reactionary, hypocritical, and unfair. This was a total witch hunt from the start, and if Goodell's foolish enough to suspend Brady even one game, I hope Brady's lawyers nail Goodell to the wall.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis