Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 598899 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1560 on: May 22, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Unacceptable for whom?
Apparently not for the league.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1561 on: May 22, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think the punishment is unfair but I think it's Brady's fault. He should had owned up to it after the super bowl and then the attention would had been on a fair punishment and not whether there was some kind of cover up. I don't feel bad for Brady at all.

« Reply #1562 on: May 22, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think the punishment is unfair but I think it's Brady's fault. He should had owned up to it after the super bowl and then the attention would had been on a fair punishment and not whether there was some kind of cover up. I don't feel bad for Brady at all.

But what if Brady is innocent?  Should he have owned up to something he didn't do?

What if the ref actually used the gauge he said he used and the balls were not underinflated?  Afterall, he did measure over 50 balls.  You would think he would remember which gauge he used a few hours later when it became an issue especially considering the two gauges are noticeably different.

« Reply #1563 on: May 22, 2015, 01:43:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

But what if Brady is innocent?  Should he have owned up to something he didn't do?

What if the ref actually used the gauge he said he used and the balls were not underinflated?  Afterall, he did measure over 50 balls.  You would think he would remember which gauge he used a few hours later when it became an issue especially considering the two gauges are noticeably different.
He did remember. Ted Wells just chose to ignore that fact, because it doesn't fit his narrative very well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1564 on: May 22, 2015, 01:48:07 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

He did remember. Ted Wells just chose to ignore that fact, because it doesn't fit his narrative very well.

And the logic he used to determine the other gauge was used was... illogical.

« Reply #1565 on: May 22, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

To me it all comes back to the "deflator" text message. If that guy said it was a running joke because Brady always wanted the footballs at 12.5 and had him deflating them all the time in practice and before the refs inspecting them, I could get around that. But not the story they used. No way was he calling his friend the deflator because he was losing weight.

How many people actually believe that story?

« Reply #1566 on: May 22, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

To me it all comes back to the "deflator" text message. If that guy said it was a running joke because Brady always wanted the footballs at 12.5 and had him deflating them all the time in practice and before the refs inspecting them, I could get around that. But not the story they used. No way was he calling his friend the deflator because he was losing weight.

The deflator comment came prior to the comment from Jastremski about how he was expecting the balls to be 13 after the Jets game.  Why would he expect the balls to be 13 if they were deflating them?  That makes no sense and contradicts the deflator comment, but hey, let's pick and choose which texts to pay attention to.

When he texted Jastremski during the Packers game "Deflate and give somebody that jkt."  Was he telling him to hurry up and deflate balls?  Of course not, he was using it in another context.  Is it really hard to believe that he used that word in other contexts when talking to his friend who inflates and deflates balls for a living?

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/5/14/8609329/what-is-this-deflate-that-you-speak-of

« Reply #1567 on: May 22, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The centerpiece of the "evidence" is McNally calling himself "the deflator" in the middle of the offseason (6 months before the issue with the 16 PSI ball cropped up), and a completely incomprehensible text reading "deflate and give that jacket to someone" (which Wells said "may have come" at the halftime of a game -- Ted, you were paid $35 million for that lousy report, you couldn't get a recording of the game to see EXACTLY when the it was sent?!).

These were the only two references to any sort of deflating that came from what was allegedly hundreds of pages of  texts. Please explain how this fits Ted Wells' story any better than the weight loss story.

« Reply #1568 on: May 22, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

The centerpiece of the "evidence" is McNally calling himself "the deflator" in the middle of the offseason (6 months before the issue with the 16 PSI ball cropped up), and a completely incomprehensible text reading "deflate and give that jacket to someone" (which Wells said "may have come" at the halftime of a game -- Ted, you were paid $35 million for that lousy report, you couldn't get a recording of the game to see EXACTLY when the it was sent?!).

These were the only two references to any sort of deflating that came from what was allegedly hundreds of pages of  texts. Please explain how this fits Ted Wells' story any better than the weight loss story.

Hundreds of careless texts between two friends full of bizarre jokes and jargon.

« Reply #1569 on: May 22, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

The deflator comment came prior to the comment from Jastremski about how he was expecting the balls to be 13 after the Jets game.  Why would he expect the balls to be 13 if they were deflating them?  That makes no sense and contradicts the deflator comment, but hey, let's pick and choose which texts to pay attention to.

When he texted Jastremski during the Packers game "Deflate and give somebody that jkt."  Was he telling him to hurry up and deflate balls?  Of course not, he was using it in another context.  Is it really hard to believe that he used that word in other contexts when talking to his friend who inflates and deflates balls for a living?

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/5/14/8609329/what-is-this-deflate-that-you-speak-of
I think it's very plausible that he was deflating the balls on the sideline. Especially since they couldn't run their scheme on road games.

And the fact that the Jaguars put in a complaint that the colt's ball boys had needles up their sleeves, makes me think it's pretty common place.

« Reply #1570 on: May 22, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Because there was most likely an understanding to not text about it. That would explain the second text that he wrote saying chill buddy. Basically come on I messed up but do you really think we're screwed cause I texted that.

« Reply #1571 on: May 22, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I think it's very plausible that he was deflating the balls on the sideline. Especially since they couldn't run their scheme on road games.

And the fact that the Jaguars put in a complaint that the colt's ball boys had needles up their sleeves, makes me think it's pretty common place.

So you think it was more likely that when McNally saw his friend on TV after the Packers just scored a game changing TD, that he sent a text advising him to deflate footballs despite the fact he would not see the text until later and that he wasn't being silly and telling the guy to relax after the camera focused on him?

You think he would be so careless to tell him to deflate the balls on the sidelines during a game, but yet so carefull to never reference to deflating the balls below 12.5 even once?

« Reply #1572 on: May 22, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

So you think it was more likely that when McNally saw his friend on TV after the Packers just scored a game changing TD, that he sent a text advising him to deflate footballs despite the fact he would not see the text until later and that he wasn't being silly and telling the guy to relax after the camera focused on him?

You think he would be so careless to tell him to deflate the balls on the sidelines during a game, but yet so carefull to never reference to deflating the balls below 12.5 even once?
I doubt anyone would ever tell someone to deflate because they seemed too tense. Do you really believe that?

« Reply #1573 on: May 22, 2015, 03:32:12 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I doubt anyone would ever tell someone to deflate because they seemed too tense. Do you really believe that?

Considering all their jargon and the fact the guy inflates and deflates balls for a living and the obvious circumstance, sure.  It seems a whole lot more likely than instructing the guy to start deflating footballs on the sidelines.  But I guess we differ on that.

Definition of deflate:  2nd definition listed:
cause (someone) to suddenly lose confidence or feel less important.
"the news left him feeling utterly deflated"
synonyms:   subdue, humble, cow, chasten; dispirit, dismay, discourage, dishearten; squash, crush, bring down, take the wind out of someone's sails, knock the stuffing out of
"the news had deflated him"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:42:39 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #1574 on: May 23, 2015, 05:13:23 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://clnsradio.com/new-england-patriots-news/item/11935-patriots-why-the-wells-report-in-context-was-written-for-tom-brady

I doubt that anything related to the texts will have much impact one way or the other. It's the assumptions and data used by the consultants that Wells employed that will be the focus of Kessler's attack.