Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 598700 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1545 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I see what both of you are saying about not winning that fight, but I still want to fight that. I'm from New England. I'm almost a stubborn as those stupid rebs during the Civil War.  Onward! Fight for mighty Virginia! or...New Englandia.

« Reply #1546 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm Irish. I'll deal with a problem my whole life.   ...Matt Damon. The Departed

« Reply #1547 on: May 20, 2015, 04:07:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is basically extremely disappointing. I am usually a big fan of Kraft, but he is abruptly backing down for [what seems like] no apparent reason. This is leaving us New England fans in a state of confusion. The Cheatriot crowd just has more ammunition. I would really like more explanation on the issue.

« Reply #1548 on: May 20, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I have no problem with Kraft saying he doesn't want to spend $4 mill on a lawsuit he'll lose, but then don't expect me to pay $50 for parking to a game I already overpaid on the ticket and don't expect me to buy an $80 jersey or a $7 beer or watch other NFL games.
Goes both ways Kraft. He might not lose $4mill one way but he might lose a mill a different way.

« Reply #1549 on: May 20, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sure, but what are you going to do, stop watching football?

The NFL's wager is that you won't.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1550 on: May 20, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Plus he can keep fighting in the court of public opinion, which is where 90% of this has taken place.

He won't win that fight.  The damage is already done there and it grew exponentially back in '07 with Spygate. Heck, it might've even started before then.

It's essentially 31 teams worth of fanbases against one these days and it has been for a while.  This isn't the lovable underdog from 2001 that came out of nowhere and beat the Rams.  Somewhere in between then & now, they became the Yankees and that evil empire than opposing teams fans love to hate.

The only way he could've got some good will on his side would've been if he could've taken down Goodell.   That guy is basically universally despised these days.  Problem was that the uphill battle was far too great to achieve that.   As long as the money keeps flowing in, the owners will continue to bury their heads in the sand about Goodell's almost ineptness.

I agree with all of this until the last sentence.  I would be very surprised if Goodell got renewed when his contract is up.

« Reply #1551 on: May 20, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Plus he can keep fighting in the court of public opinion, which is where 90% of this has taken place.

He won't win that fight.  The damage is already done there and it grew exponentially back in '07 with Spygate. Heck, it might've even started before then.

It's essentially 31 teams worth of fanbases against one these days and it has been for a while.  This isn't the lovable underdog from 2001 that came out of nowhere and beat the Rams.  Somewhere in between then & now, they became the Yankees and that evil empire than opposing teams fans love to hate.

The only way he could've got some good will on his side would've been if he could've taken down Goodell.   That guy is basically universally despised these days.  Problem was that the uphill battle was far too great to achieve that.   As long as the money keeps flowing in, the owners will continue to bury their heads in the sand about Goodell's almost ineptness.

I agree with all of this until the last sentence.  I would be very surprised if Goodell got renewed when his contract is up.

I think he's up in 2019, if I read correctly somewhere.

As long as he's taking bullets for the 32 owners & the cash keeps pouring in, they'd probably keep him around.   Like D.O.S. mentioned earlier, he's the scapegoat.  I'm sure the owners like having him around to take the brunt of the blame .  Who knows, though? He might ultimately end up taking the fall for something.

It's maddening to us fans, though.  He seems to be grating more & more on the media these days too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1552 on: May 20, 2015, 05:11:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

As long as he's taking bullets for the 32 owners & the cash keeps pouring in, they'd probably keep him around.   Like D.O.S. mentioned earlier, he's the scapegoat.  I'm sure the owners like having him around to take the brunt of the blame .  Who knows, though? He might ultimately end up taking the fall for something.

It's maddening to us fans, though.  He seems to be grating more & more on the media these days too.
I don't know. Paul Tagliabue didn't have a crisis that he mishandled every week and I'm sure they made money under him and will keep making money. The NBA likes Adam Silver. You can be a good GM and still make money.

« Reply #1553 on: May 20, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sure, but what are you going to do, stop watching football?

The NFL's wager is that you won't.
If they sold me a better product I might have spent more. I might have gone to a game. I might have bought a jersey. Now I won't

« Reply #1554 on: May 20, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't know. Paul Tagliabue didn't have a crisis that he mishandled every week and I'm sure they made money under him and will keep making money. The NBA likes Adam Silver. You can be a good GM and still make money.

True.  But I'm not exactly sure the owners are seeing it that way (publicly, at least).   The NFL is basically printing money & its viewership numbers are off the charts.  For all the ineptness he & the league office under him have shown, the NFL hasn't slowed down one bit.  My guess is that the owners just see it as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to Goodell.   Plus, as I mentioned before, he's the one constantly getting heat.  Not the owners.  I'm sure the owners like it that way.  Guy is basically their puppet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1555 on: May 20, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
This is basically extremely disappointing. I am usually a big fan of Kraft, but he is abruptly backing down for [what seems like] no apparent reason. This is leaving us New England fans in a state of confusion. The Cheatriot crowd just has more ammunition. I would really like more explanation on the issue.
Yes, people will say the Patriots are cheaters.   This is because the Patriots have cheated.

I choose not to care.  Big deal that others cheat too and haven't been punished as much as the Pats.  Pats win.  I'll still root strong for the heavily fined, pick-stripped and suspended-quarterbacked Patriots over every other team in the league.   I will chuckle when folks from other parts of the country call my team a bunch of cheaters.   They'd undoubtedly trade their highly ethical franchise for New England's in a second.   

Someday we'll not only be a cheating franchise, but we'll be a bad non-playoff team.  That's when things will suck.

« Reply #1556 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think the best way to explain what's happening was covered in a Deadspin article the other day (they've basically nailed this whole thing, IMO):

Kraft made clear that he still disagrees with Roger Goodell, claiming the investigation wasn’t fair and found “no hard evidence.” He said the penalties were “way over the top, it was unreasonable and unprecedented.” But he’s willing to be a martyr for a bigger cause—NFL solidarity. This is a point I’ve made before, but it bears repeating now that Kraft has vocalized it—NFL owners seem keen with Goodell’s swinging-dick act until it swings their way. Kraft, as one of the league’s most powerful owners, has now set the precedent that even when the target of arbitary discipline, an owner should be quiet and accept it. Protect the shield.
http://deadspin.com/robert-kraft-will-not-appeal-the-patriots-penalties-1705536519
I'm guessing that part of "NFL solidarity" now includes you and your star QB getting trolled by official NFL media. Isn't that just swelte...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1557 on: May 22, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's also a little bit of "First they came for the Roethlisburgers, and I said Nothing...Then they came for the Paytons, and I said nothing...Then they came for me." Going on.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1558 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It's also a little bit of "First they came for the Roethlisburgers, and I said Nothing...Then they came for the Paytons, and I said nothing...Then they came for me." Going on.
Oh, I have no doubt noone will say anything for the Patriots. But being the subject of cheap shots by assorted NFL staffers is unacceptable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1559 on: May 22, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Unacceptable for whom?