Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596405 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1020 on: May 06, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Radio callers and personalities pointing out that the ref Anderson never actually recorded the psi levels before the game. The pre game psi levels reported come from his memory and what the teams reported that they try to inflate their balls to.

A former investigator called in and made the point "This makes no sense whatsoever. The Colts call them and say 'Hey. We think this could happen'. They say 'Ok. We're on it.' then the balls go completely missing and this normally calm ref is freakin out and then they finally find the balls with the Patriots ball guy and the ref says 'Oh good' and never rechecks the balls? Never recorded the psi levels? What on Earth is that? If you are working a club and you get actionable intelligence a guy with a red shirt is gonna show up and may want to kill someone he hates and you see him an hour later you don't just let him in. You have to check him and pat him down. The NFL is taking no responsibility at all for a pretty serious lapse here and they expect us to just buy that".

Some people making the case that the NFL has been caught in a lie here making the case that they didn't do anything in a biased way, but actually they initiated everything and gave the Pats extra scrutiny because of a call by the Colts. So basically the NFL was doing the Colts bidding, but are saying they did everything in an unbiased way just the way they would normally, but that's not really true.

« Reply #1021 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Brady and the Pats have a legit case to file a defamation lawsuit against the NFL imo.

« Reply #1022 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
IMHO.....Brady either needs to completely own this or he needs to fight it big big big time, but then he has to explain why he wouldn't give them access to his texts and email and calls.

Leaning towards thinking he should own it.

YOU'RE [dang] RIGHT I ORDERD THE CODE RED!

Hahahaha.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #1023 on: May 06, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Keyword: Assuming

"In addition, the average pressure drop of the Patriots game balls exceeded the average pressure drop of the Colts balls by 0.45 to 1.02 psi, depending on various possible assumptions regarding the gauges used, and assuming an initial pressure of 12.5 psi for the Patriots balls and 13.0 psi for the Colts balls."

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/investigative-and-expert-reports-re-footballs-used-during-afc-championsh.pdf

So... Why are we *assuming* this? You mean to tell me the NFL doesn't even record the PSI levels to start the game?

It's all sketchy to me.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #1024 on: May 06, 2015, 09:50:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I absolutely can not wait till this time next year when the Pats are polishing their fifth Super Bowl trophy and the league finishes a months long investigation into whether the Patriots were all wearing regulation laces in their cleats.

« Reply #1025 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #1026 on: May 06, 2015, 10:41:28 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I absolutely can not wait till this time next year when the Pats are polishing their fifth Super Bowl trophy and the league finishes a months long investigation into whether the Patriots were all wearing regulation laces in their cleats.

They should probably get a better defense first.

« Reply #1027 on: May 06, 2015, 10:47:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For what it's worth, there's also this:

"If I were Toyota, I wouldn't have picked somebody like Exponent to do analysis," said Stanton Glantz, a cardiologist at UC San Francisco who runs a database on the tobacco industry that contains thousands of pages of Exponent research arguing, among other things, that secondhand smoke does not cause cancer. "I would have picked a firm with more of a reputation of neutrality."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/18/business/la-fi-toyota-exponent18-2010feb18
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1028 on: May 06, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
*more probable than not*

Thanks a lot NFL

You really cleared up this situation

::)  x a million
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #1029 on: May 07, 2015, 01:53:33 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
One factor that the Wells report ignores is the amount of time that passed between measuring the Pats footballs vs. the Colts. This is an important factor because the pressure returns very quickly.  I read about an experiment that was done back in January about balls taken from a 70 degree room to a 40 degree temperature outside and the balls dropped 1.5 psi as expected.  But after just 15 minutes in the 70 degree room, the psi had adjusted back.

We know the Patriots footballs were measure first and only 4 Colts balls were measured as they ran out of time.  We also know the officials locker room was just over 70 degrees.  So, if the Patriots footballs were measured on average of just 5 minutes or so earlier, that could explain the entire difference between each team's footballs.

Edit:  Upon reading further, I see that the Exponent report does address this and determines that it does not account for the full difference.  The problem I have with this is that this determination assumes they have perfect information to the times each team's balls were measured.  By their own calculations if the time disparity is just two minutes longer than their assumptions, then their calculations would account for the entire difference between the two sets of balls.  Just two minutes of an estimated timeframe provided by the referees would change their conclusion entirely.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:59:45 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #1030 on: May 07, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
One factor that the Wells report ignores is the amount of time that passed between measuring the Pats footballs vs. the Colts.
They didn't, though. It's in the Exponent paper, I think.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1031 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:12 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm glad to see that Brady and his agent are finally firing back:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/05/07/tom-brady-agent-accuses-nfl-sting-operation-deflategate/zedRZzXRnTTY0Qc5n6ToeL/story.html?p1=ClickedOnBreakingNewsBox

I really do believe they have a case for a defamation lawsuit against the NFL , and should go ahead and file charges

Also, once again, as they do in all 'news' stories, the media jumps into accusatory mode against Brady and the Pats without reading all the facts and making unbiased representations of the news.

« Reply #1032 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As a relatively unbiased observer, watching the shots get lobbed back and forth between pats fans and those who are not is pretty fantastic.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1033 on: May 07, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
As a relatively unbiased observer, watching the shots get lobbed back and forth between pats fans and those who are not is pretty fantastic.

I really do wonder how this would've gone down & what this whole thing would've been like if it involved, say, the Jacksonville Jaguars instead. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1034 on: May 07, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I really do wonder how this would've gone down & what this whole thing would've been like if it involved, say, the Jacksonville Jaguars instead.

The Jaguars? In the playoffs?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.