Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596214 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1005 on: May 06, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Kinda too bad the ball guy at first said he went straight to the field, then said he went to the bathroom and used the urinal, except that the bathroom doesn't have a urinal. 

« Reply #1006 on: May 06, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
IMHO.....Brady either needs to completely own this or he needs to fight it big big big time, but then he has to explain why he wouldn't give them access to his texts and email and calls.

Leaning towards thinking he should own it.

YOU'RE [dang] RIGHT I ORDERD THE CODE RED!

« Reply #1007 on: May 06, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Kinda too bad the ball guy at first said he went straight to the field, then said he went to the bathroom and used the urinal, except that the bathroom doesn't have a urinal.

These details are Larry Craig-esque, lol ;D.

« Reply #1008 on: May 06, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The guy with the balls called himself the deflator
In May 2014 -- middle of the offseason, 4 months before the start of the 2014 season and 8 months before the AFC Championship game.

::)
True, but then later the guy said he had a needle for him and he disappeared into the bathroom for almost two minutes while the balls couldn't be found.

Even with context, sentences like these are gold, lol ;D. I'm not picking on you, btw.

« Reply #1009 on: May 06, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Did you guys read the text messages in the report? It actually seems pretty close to a smoking gun. I am a pats fan and thought this was all nonsense and was dead until I read this. I actually think Brady will get suspended.

A smoking gun for what?  Sounds like the refs overinflated the balls one week, and Brady got angry and got up the equipment managers' ass for it.  McNally sounds like a bit of a **** based on his texts, but some whiny texts about his boss is far from proof of intentional wrongdoing.

No kidding.  I complain about my boss's overinflated balls all the time and nobody cares.  And in my case, it's definitely true.

If, however, the NFL decides to suspend Brady, I think it's also fair to look at admitted cheaters, such as this guy:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/02/06/jerry-rice-admits-cheating-but-still-wants-asterisk-the-patriots-for-deflategate/o7W2mlXRRpWnbczSixdNLI/story.html

Mike

Lol, TP ;D. You don't happen to work for this guy, by any chance, do you (sarcasm)?  Ahaha ;D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KSMeK38f9E

« Reply #1010 on: May 06, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Now I haven't taken the time to read through all 200 pages (if you include the appendix), but just listening to all of the coverage locally, Brady comes out looking pretty bad in this.  Putting pieces together, it looks like he's been doing this for awhile which in turn means every denial he made in that infamous press conference and since then was all a bold faced lie.

Now having said all that, I'll still go to my grave saying that this whole PSI in footballs debate is something that not even the league themselves took seriously until the Colts complained.  There's the section in the report about how Tom was upset that the PSI was inflated to 16 by the refs before the Thursday night game against the Jets which is way past the allowed range.  To me this shows that not even the refs really care about PSI.  In my opinion, I think when the Colts filed their complaint to the league, the league said "really?...this is what you're complaining about right now?...well I guess we HAVE to look into it because you're asking, but really, who cares?"

For everyone's sanity though, because ESPN is full of former players-turned analysts that have an agenda against the Patriots, I would avoid the world wide leader for the rest of this week, because all they'll do is blow this WAY out of proportion and tear the Pats apart which anyone in their right mind knows is nonsense.  You basically have to take your own opinion and run with it, because it feels like half of the experts think it's an advantage, while the other half thinks it's not.  Nobody can agree on anything.

« Reply #1011 on: May 06, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I've read virtually the whole thing now.

Evidence in favor of Patriots cheating:
The guy went to the bathroom for a while with the balls
The guy took the balls and generally that doesn't happen. The very experienced ref never had a situation where they couldn't find the balls.
The guy with the balls called himself the deflator
The guys were well aware of Brady's preference for balls inflated low
They had motive
Brady wouldn't share texts or phone records with the investigators
The scientists have concluded a person had to have let air out to get to those levels
The equipment guy told the ball guy "I have a needle for ya"

Evidence against Pats cheating
There is no point anywhere where it can be seen that anyone is encouraging anyone to cheat, especially not Brady
It's common for QBs to have good relationships with equipment guys etc and give them autographs
It's common for players to talk to guys and prepare before games and the Super Bowl
The guys were actually joking about over inflating the balls because Tom is a jerk
It's possible conversations were mixed up about getting tickets for a friend
Various witnesses did say the ball guy takes the balls out from time to time

Conclusion.  Tom can be a bit of a diva about his stuff and people try to make him happy. One stupid ball guy probably took things too far once. 

Punishment....same as those guys that were caught on live national tv doctoring the balls against the rules....a very stern warning. Ball guy can never handle NFL balls ever again. NFL doesn't apologize to Patriots.

Outstanding, lol ;D - TP.

« Reply #1012 on: May 06, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

These details are Larry Craig-esque, lol ;D.
More like Leisure Suit Larry, I'd say.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1013 on: May 06, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1014 on: May 06, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
From FiveThirtyEight:

But one question I had was how clear it is that Brady wanted the balls UNDER 12.5 psi vs. as close to the minimum as possible. He seems to have complained about the balls in the Jets game, but those seem to have been inflated well over 12.5.

Is there any clear indication of Brady asking for the balls to be less than the minimum?  From everything I've seen and heard, it definitely sounds like Brady relayed a message that the balls had been overinflated and that they needed to be fixed for the next time out.  But beyond that, what has been shown by this report?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1015 on: May 06, 2015, 05:59:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
So... Can anyone explain to me who deflated the Colts balls?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #1016 on: May 06, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So... Can anyone explain to me who deflated the Colts balls?

GOD

« Reply #1017 on: May 06, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Keyword: Assuming

"In addition, the average pressure drop of the Patriots game balls exceeded the average pressure drop of the Colts balls by 0.45 to 1.02 psi, depending on various possible assumptions regarding the gauges used, and assuming an initial pressure of 12.5 psi for the Patriots balls and 13.0 psi for the Colts balls."

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/investigative-and-expert-reports-re-footballs-used-during-afc-championsh.pdf

So... Why are we *assuming* this? You mean to tell me the NFL doesn't even record the PSI levels to start the game?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #1018 on: May 06, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Felger and Maz were suggesting maybe Brady should have or should just own this thing.

To me if I'm him and I cheated I'm keeping my mouth shut. If I didn't I'm saying "I can be a bit of a diva with my stuff. I can be pretty demanding about what I like.  But I do not and did not EVER tell ANYONE to cheat and I never would".  And then maybe you appeal.

« Reply #1019 on: May 06, 2015, 08:56:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sports radio pointing out that others have in the past accused the firm exponent of doing some pretty shady scientific work in the past to help clients with very sticky situations....for example they have helped tobacco firms say that second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer. However a leading Princeton physicist has verified the findings. Sorta forces Pats fans to suggest the Princeton guy is a Jets fan or something