Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596285 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #705 on: January 26, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wonder if the "source" of this Glazer report is the same as the one who leaked stuff to Mort last week.

Interested to see what direction this whole Mike Kensil thing goes. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #706 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

For the Patriots to blame a change in temperature for 15% lower-pressures, requires balls to be inflated with 125-degree air.

Okay, so some of these physics experts need to give back their degrees, because they're reaching opposite conclusions.

Any truth to the rumor that the Patriots have hired global warming deniers to go on record for them? ;)

They were already hired by ESPN.

« Reply #707 on: January 26, 2015, 07:16:35 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Let's see what all of these "locker room attendant" stories are using as their source.  Oh look, it's one tweet:

Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who allegedly took balls from officials locker room to another area on way to field. Sources say they have interviewed him and additionally have video. Still gauging if any wrong doing occurred with him but he is strong person of interest

So let's see, "sources" who are not at the NFL say that the NFL is investigating the locker room attendant who "allegedly" handles the game balls?  And they still are gauging if any wrong doing happened even after a video tape and an interview?  Please put out one piece of non-circumstantial evidence if you want to keep this story going.  Please, just one.

« Reply #708 on: January 26, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The fact that the NFL source describes the ballboy as a "person of interest" tends to further inflame the theory, that a bad act was involved, rather than the weather.  "Person of interest" is a term of art used in a criminal investigation, when investigators have a suspect, but don't yet have enough evidence to get an arrest warrant (probable cause).  It's funny they would use this term, showing they are totally looking at this as a criminal investigation, rather than an investigation into what the heck happened.

« Reply #709 on: January 26, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why so long? They already have the culprit.

Maybe they want to avoid punishing anyone until after the Super Bowl, just in case someone like Brady or Belichick turns out to be sufficiently involved that the league would look bad if it didn't suspend him for at least the next game.

The NFL keeps talking about the integrity of the game. If the NFL has either TB or BB dead to rights, they should suspend them. To do otherwise would not make a lot of sense and would create a bigger mess if the NEP win. 

It may not make sense to you, but I'd argue that the NFL does a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense.   In this case, though, I think the league is interested in the short-term goal of not having to suspend anyone before the Super Bowl while making it look like they are properly investigating this matter.  If they delay, there's a chance that Seattle wins and there's a chance that the investigation does not result in any punishment.  In the absence of a smoking gun, it is typical corporate behavior to try and defer things and hope they go away.

Just because the league talks about the integrity of the game, that doesn't mean it is actually a priority. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #710 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The fact that the NFL source describes the ballboy as a "person of interest" tends to further inflame the theory, that a bad act was involved, rather than the weather.  "Person of interest" is a term of art used in a criminal investigation, when investigators have a suspect, but don't yet have enough evidence to get an arrest warrant (probable cause).  It's funny they would use this term, showing they are totally looking at this as a criminal investigation, rather than an investigation into what the heck happened.

It is worth pointing out, of course, that this is not a criminal investigation.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #711 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Why so long? They already have the culprit.

Maybe they want to avoid punishing anyone until after the Super Bowl, just in case someone like Brady or Belichick turns out to be sufficiently involved that the league would look bad if it didn't suspend him for at least the next game.

The NFL keeps talking about the integrity of the game. If the NFL has either TB or BB dead to rights, they should suspend them. To do otherwise would not make a lot of sense and would create a bigger mess if the NEP win. 

It may not make sense to you, but I'd argue that the NFL does a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense.   In this case, though, I think the league is interested in the short-term goal of not having to suspend anyone before the Super Bowl while making it look like they are properly investigating this matter.  If they delay, there's a chance that Seattle wins and there's a chance that the investigation does not result in any punishment.  In the absence of a smoking gun, it is typical corporate behavior to try and defer things and hope they go away.

Just because the league talks about the integrity of the game, that doesn't mean it is actually a priority.
Very bad risk management to take a chance on the Patriots losing. If the Patriots win and the NFL knew the Patriots were guilty, that will create a s-storm. The NFL's management hasn't been great under Goodell, but I'd have to assume they were idiots of the highest order to conclude they would sit on evidence that would convict the NEP.

Kraft is doubling down as I type this.

« Reply #712 on: January 26, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Wow, go get them Bob. Wants an apology if the NFL screwed up and is attacking the leaks. Strong backing of TB and BB.

« Reply #713 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Bob Kraft now speaking out strong against the investigation as well.  Incredibly bold for the team.  If they are bluffing its an awfully big gamble. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #714 on: January 26, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

For the Patriots to blame a change in temperature for 15% lower-pressures, requires balls to be inflated with 125-degree air.

Okay, so some of these physics experts need to give back their degrees, because they're reaching opposite conclusions.

Any truth to the rumor that the Patriots have hired global warming deniers to go on record for them? ;)

He might have to give his back. As Jim said, it's been pointed out in numerous places that Tyson might be confusing atmospheric and gauge pressure.

http://www.avclub.com/article/neil-degrasse-tyson-bungles-science-deflate-gate-s-214373

If so, the embarrassments continue. It'd be a bummer for me...I *like* Tyson.

« Reply #715 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

He might have to give his back. As Jim said, it's been pointed out in numerous places that Tyson might be confusing atmospheric and gauge pressure.

http://www.avclub.com/article/neil-degrasse-tyson-bungles-science-deflate-gate-s-214373

I think he's pompous, so I'd be happy to see him mix up a (seemingly) simple concept. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #716 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

I think he's pompous, so I'd be happy to see him mix up a (seemingly) simple concept.

He is, a bit. That said, we're all flying blind here to say the least, so I don't want to throw him under the bus without more evidence about how he got his numbers. That would be COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

« Reply #717 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Kraft wants an apology from NFL if no evidence against Pats.

Also
I’??m disappointed in the way this entire matter has been handled, and reported upon. We expect hard facts, as opposed to circumstantial leaked evidence to draw the conclusion of this investigation.

So true.

More here:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/01/26/robert-kraft-defends-patriots-says-nfl-should-apologize-if-league-finds-them-not-guilty-of-any-wrongdoing/
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #718 on: January 26, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A couple observations here.......

Science is ignoring the possibility of a divine miracle ....I TOLD you Tim Tebow would help us!

Also....the scientists may seem to know some forms of science but probably not psychology. What did Bill Belichick say? He said "You're welcome to try it yourself".  So let's see it. Let's see the "scientists" Bill Bye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson do these experiments. Let's see the astrophysicist do the football experiments (when he gets done talking about GMOs or whatever scientific issue du jour pops up) and prove Bill wrong. Let's see them fly to New England and show everyone how it's done.

So their genius theory is that Bill Belichick and the Pats did all sorts of experiments (or didn't do them), then called a press conference and went to the mat over easily refutable science. Yeah. Ok. When can the Pats coaching staff take over for Bill Nye and Neil TD? After the Super Bowl?

They're not just better at football. They're better at ....everything. New England. We don't just think we're better than you. We know it.

« Reply #719 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo