Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 599985 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #690 on: January 26, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Already knew this. Obviously someone brought the balls out to the field and that person would be the prime suspect.

There is no way Belicheck didnt know about this video before his press conference, I guarantee he's seen it. It is almost 100% nothing, most likely a video of the guy with the bag of balls walking down a hallway  or something.

Are you kidding me? He's a "strong person of interest."

#NFLclustersomething

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:30:29 PM by colincb »

« Reply #691 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Already knew this. Obviously someone brought the balls out to the field and that person would be the prime suspect.

There is no way Belicheck didnt know about this video before his press conference, I guarantee he's seen it. It is almost 100% nothing, most likely a video of the guy with the bag of balls walking down a hallway  or something.

#NFLclustersomething
#NFLwillgivemediasomethingtorunwith
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #692 on: January 26, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Kraft must be thrilled with the weather. Deflate-gate is no longer the lead story on the news.

« Reply #693 on: January 26, 2015, 05:59:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

For the Patriots to blame a change in temperature for 15% lower-pressures, requires balls to be inflated with 125-degree air.

Science is just jealous of the Patriots success.

Where was the media when other teams were violating the laws of physics? 

« Reply #694 on: January 26, 2015, 06:02:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

For the Patriots to blame a change in temperature for 15% lower-pressures, requires balls to be inflated with 125-degree air.

Okay, so some of these physics experts need to give back their degrees, because they're reaching opposite conclusions.

Any truth to the rumor that the Patriots have hired global warming deniers to go on record for them? ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #695 on: January 26, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Supposedly, the attendant was one of the 40 people interviewed last week. 

So now you have Glazer's report and Ted Wells from the NFL comes out and says this is still going to take weeks?  Something doesn't add up here. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #696 on: January 26, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

#NFLclustersomething

Uhhh yeah. If you are running an investigation on whether someone tampered with and lowered the psi of footballs, the strong person of interest would obviously be the person who brought them out pregame. Every team has a guy that does it. This isn't some huge new revelation. It would virtually have to be him unless you think the Patriots did it on-field which is ridiculous and impossible to do without getting caught.

« Reply #697 on: January 26, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

Science is just jealous of the Patriots success.

Where was the media when other teams were violating the laws of physics?

I assume he ran his calculations with the assumption that the ball's psi deflated 2 pounds. Report today (or maybe it was yesterday) said it was closer to 1.

But who cares anyways, is there some nfl by-law saying you cannot inflate the balls with a high temperature air? Sure it would be rule bending and probably result in a fine but I don't think it's technically against the rules.

« Reply #698 on: January 26, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
If the ball boy is seen taking the balls into another room and then coming out 15 minutes later it looks bad, obviously. If he says he didn't touch the balls and there is no video inside that room then I don't think you can penalize anyone. 

But if the video shows that... it will be enough for the court of public opinion to agree that they must have cheated. 

Hopefully Bill had already seen all the videos before his last press conference, he wouldn't have gotten all sciency if the video showed anything remotely close to cheating.

« Reply #699 on: January 26, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Neil deGrasse Tyson:

Considering that the pressure didn't change by 15% (it was more like 7%), he clearly forgot that Gage pressure =/= absolute pressure, so I don't trust the rest of his math there
I'm bitter.

« Reply #700 on: January 26, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why so long? They already have the culprit.

Maybe they want to avoid punishing anyone until after the Super Bowl, just in case someone like Brady or Belichick turns out to be sufficiently involved that the league would look bad if it didn't suspend him for at least the next game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #701 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

#NFLclustersomething

Uhhh yeah. If you are running an investigation on whether someone tampered with and lowered the psi of footballs, the strong person of interest would obviously be the person who brought them out pregame. Every team has a guy that does it. This isn't some huge new revelation. It would virtually have to be him unless you think the Patriots did it on-field which is ridiculous and impossible to do without getting caught.
So a "strong person of interest" doesn't mean much?  Someone's trying to convey that it does.

If they have this guy on tape doctoring the footballs, why is this investigation going to take several weeks more. Can't be that the NFL doesn't want to damage their product before the SB because they already have.

« Reply #702 on: January 26, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Why Belichek's Science Adds Up

The change in absolute pressure is not from 12.5psi to 10.5psi, or 19%. It is from 12.5psi + the pressure of the atmosphere to 10.5 + atmosphere, or 8%. This difference is plausible given the weather conditions of the day. If the pressure was measured at 45 degrees F (280K) and 10.5psi, and inflated initially to 12.5psi, if no air was let out the initial temperature only has to be 280K*1.08=302K, or 84 degrees F. This is a plausible initial temp given that the ball had been rubbed vigorously in a 70F environment. Additionally, the act of measuring pressure itself is known to lose air; the more times the pressure was measured, the worse the estimates would have been.

Why Wouldn't the Colts' Balls, and the Pats' kicking ball, have been Underinflated?

There are several reasons this could be.
-Their initial pressure was closer to 13.5 than to 12.5
-They were not heated due to vigorous rubbing
-They were at a different temperature when they were measured

Results are consistent with this story:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/24/basic-physics-may-defeat-deflategate.html

« Reply #703 on: January 26, 2015, 06:58:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

#NFLclustersomething

So a "strong person of interest" doesn't mean much?  Someone's trying to convey that it does.

If they have this guy on tape doctoring the footballs, why is this investigation going to take several weeks more. Can't be that the NFL doesn't want to damage their product before the SB because they already have.

Well, the league obviously needs more time to 'study' the effects that temperature has on the pressure of their balls (sarcasm). ::) ;D  It's just the usual stalling tactic that Goodell uses, just like the time that he said that they needed more time to 'study' the effect concussions have on players. ::)  He's just hoping that everyone will watch the game and forget about this whole thing, and then about two weeks later a little snippet of a report will come out with the result and by then everyone will have already forgotten all about it.  Sigh.  The government operates the same way.   

« Reply #704 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Why so long? They already have the culprit.

Maybe they want to avoid punishing anyone until after the Super Bowl, just in case someone like Brady or Belichick turns out to be sufficiently involved that the league would look bad if it didn't suspend him for at least the next game.

The NFL keeps talking about the integrity of the game. If the NFL has either TB or BB dead to rights, they should suspend them. To do otherwise would not make a lot of sense and would create a bigger mess if the NEP win. 

The NFL does not have anything is my guess.