Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596335 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #660 on: January 26, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
While I'm upset that the Patriots may eventually end up losing the Super Bowl because of this nonsense...

If anything, I think the Pats are more likely to win due to this.  They're best when they play with a chip on their shoulder.

Don't you see, it is a conspiracy to help the Patriots? ;)

Wetzel has an interesting piece today about rumors that this was all a botched sting operation by the NFL
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/did-nfl-run-sting-operation-on-patriots-to-trigger-deflate-gate--051258575.html
I'm not sure what to make of it. Normally I think Wetzel does pretty good work, but this past week he's been one of those that swings wildly from deflategate storyline to storyline.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #661 on: January 26, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
While I'm upset that the Patriots may eventually end up losing the Super Bowl because of this nonsense...

If anything, I think the Pats are more likely to win due to this.  They're best when they play with a chip on their shoulder.

Wetzel has an interesting piece today about rumors that this was all a botched sting operation by the NFL
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/did-nfl-run-sting-operation-on-patriots-to-trigger-deflate-gate--051258575.html
I'm not sure what to make of it. Normally I think Wetzel does pretty good work, but this past week he's been one of those that swings wildly from deflategate storyline to storyline.

I really hope the Pats shut every one up!

« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Wouldn't shock me.  This league office has bungled item after item since Goodell took over as commissioner.   Can't remember who wrote it but was reading yesterday that if this thing was going on under Rozelle or Tagliabue, the course of action most likely would've been the league telling the organization to "Knock if off" when the problem first was presented rather than trying to set a trap or catch someone in the act.    Another thing to keep in mind is that there are reports that the guy leading the NFL investigation is a former Jets employee who was there during the whole Parcells/Belichick "I resign as HC of the NYJ" debacle back in 2000. 

The NFL certainly isn't doing itself any favors right now but it's the media storm that has really been the worst thing to rise out of this.    People had their minds already made up when Mort's report came out early last week.  Doesn't matter that it sounds like some of his info was offbase or just flat out wrong.  Once that report came out, it was game on as far as the media & football fans were concerned.   (ESPN looking the absolute worst of the bunch)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Thornton is killing it today again :)

http://thornography.weei.com/sports/boston/2015/01/26/bulletin-board-fodder-richard-sherman-jets-players-question-patriots-integrity/

LOVE this paragraph:

Richard Sherman is smart enough to have gone to Stanford. Nick Mangold is a bright, articulate guy. Sheldon Richardson is … also a person. So I could point out the obvious to them. I could mention that Sherman’s team has basically been the Cheattle Cheathawks over Peter Carroll’s tenure, leading the NFL in drug suspensions and getting fined $300,000 for holding illegal practices. I could ask Mangold what else has been “amiss” over the years besides pointing a camera at the Jets sidelines from somewhere other than the approved camera-pointing area back when he was in high school. Or take a swipe at Richardson by mentioning if the Jets ain’t going 4-12 with controversy, they ain’t going 4-12.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #665 on: January 26, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Jeez I basically assumed that the 11 out of 12 balls thing was real because how could you falsely report an actual measurement that someone made.

I'll add that I thought the number was valid because 1) Mortensen is generally reliable, 2) if the report was wrong, the league allowed one of its Super Bowl teams to get its name dragged through the mud for a week without saying anything.

I just don't get that.  Maybe it's the "there's no such thing as bad publicity" angle, but at some point isn't the perception that your best teams are blatantly cheating bad for business?

Now, this won't be settled until the actual numbers are released, but I'm certainly a lot more skeptical of the media firestorm if the "11 of 12 balls were 2.0 psi off" thing was overblown.
Ya I still have no idea what the NFL as a whole has to gain from this. People do love villains, but it's not like the NFL is short on those.

And that's exactly why the NFL is making a show of doing something about a non-issue: so the fans don't think that the league is as dumb as it is. The ladt thing the NFL wants is for 2015 to be another 2014, as far as PR goes.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
This is why I am a NBA/Celtics fan.  The NFL is a joke, beating of women and Domestic violence, a good portion of its players current and former will have major brain damage, they are basically selling gladiator games to foolish people.

The NFL just degraded its most important weekend and allowed the Public Relations wing of the NFL, ESPN, to thrash one of its most important and lucrative products Tom Brady.

And they did it to avoid all the uncomfortable questions regarding head trauma, the 1985 bears cannot walk and think, the many members of their league currently in domestic violence cases and the overall poor management of the entire league.

Nothing surprises me with the NFL, they would kill a child if they could make money.

« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I agree with about half of that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2015, 11:30:05 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This is why I am a NBA/Celtics fan.  The NFL is a joke, beating of women and Domestic violence, a good portion of its players current and former will have major brain damage, they are basically selling gladiator games to foolish people.

The NFL just degraded its most important weekend and allowed the Public Relations wing of the NFL, ESPN, to thrash one of its most important and lucrative products Tom Brady.

And they did it to avoid all the uncomfortable questions regarding head trauma, the 1985 bears cannot walk and think, the many members of their league currently in domestic violence cases and the overall poor management of the entire league.

Nothing surprises me with the NFL, they would kill a child if they could make money.

Robert Parish ?

There are scumbags in the NBA too ....

« Reply #669 on: January 26, 2015, 11:47:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk  ?  7m 7 minutes ago

Just had a very interesting phone call about #DeflateGate. Waiting for one more call. Stay tuned.

« Reply #670 on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Not sure about that last sentence, there. But, for many of the reasons you list above, my wife no longer watches or cares about football. As a Pats fan, hard for me to step away...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #671 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
As crazy as it sounds (and I had never heard of them before this thing), the Twitter account "Sharks of Vegas" has been on top of this #DeflateGate thing and been nailing a lot of news & items of note. 

« Reply #672 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
As crazy as it sounds (and I had never heard of them before this thing), the Twitter account "Sharks of Vegas" has been on top of this #DeflateGate thing and been nailing a lot of news & items of note.

Mike Kensil story?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #673 on: January 26, 2015, 12:01:47 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike Kensil story?

That's the latest but they seemed to have been ahead of the game on a lot of the stuff that has come out post Mort report.

« Reply #674 on: January 26, 2015, 12:19:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk  ?  7m 7 minutes ago

Just had a very interesting phone call about #DeflateGate. Waiting for one more call. Stay tuned.

Yes?
Celtics fan for life.