Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 598814 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #615 on: January 25, 2015, 11:58:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The Pats won by some many points that I doubt deflated balls made a difference.  Their gameplan and talent was better.

Great example of a media running with a story and blowing it out of proportion not that we have not seen that in the news all the time.

« Reply #616 on: January 25, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's kind of like complaining about possible vote fraud that didn't affect the results in an election that wasn't that close.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #617 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Bill Nye the Science Guy has apparently said that BB's explanation doesn't make sense.

Or do you think he is biased because he worked for Boeing in Seattle, which was also where he did his TV show?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/bill-nye-says-bill-belichick-made-no-sense/

Another group went out and recreated the conditions with actual balls and found that they deflated by an average of 1.8 psi per game.  Bill Nye is an entertainer who is talking out of his ass and making the Patriots look bad on conjecture.  There is nothing here other than a witch hunt

« Reply #618 on: January 25, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
This story isn't going to go away because people are interested.

According to ProFootballTalk:

I've never gotten more emails from readers than I have this week, and they were all strongly in one camp or the other on #DeflateGate.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #619 on: January 25, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
Michael Naughton — the chair of Boston College’s physics department — has gone on the record to state that, “it’s not possible for weather NOT to have played a role,” in Ball-ghazi.

Say you inflate the ball to 12.5 PSI — the NFL minimum — in a room at 70 degrees, and then used the ball outside where it was 50 degrees. That 12.5 PSI would eventually become 11.5 PSI. If you inflate the ball to 12.5 PSI in an even warmer room where it was, say, 80 degrees, and then played outdoors at 40 degrees, that 12.5 PSI would become 10.5 PSI — a drop of two PSIs.

http://nesn.com/2015/01/boston-college-professor-weather-had-to-play-role-in-deflategate/

« Reply #620 on: January 25, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Do they use space heaters on the sidelines so that even if they are not directly trying to heat the balls the ambient temperature where the balls are kept would be significantly higher than 40 degrees?

« Reply #621 on: January 25, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Michael Naughton — the chair of Boston College’s physics department — has gone on the record to state that, “it’s not possible for weather NOT to have played a role,” in Ball-ghazi.

Say you inflate the ball to 12.5 PSI — the NFL minimum — in a room at 70 degrees, and then used the ball outside where it was 50 degrees. That 12.5 PSI would eventually become 11.5 PSI. If you inflate the ball to 12.5 PSI in an even warmer room where it was, say, 80 degrees, and then played outdoors at 40 degrees, that 12.5 PSI would become 10.5 PSI — a drop of two PSIs.

http://nesn.com/2015/01/boston-college-professor-weather-had-to-play-role-in-deflategate/

I guess the real story should be that the Colts were using balls that defied physics, haha.  Same thing with that 12th Patriots ball.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #622 on: January 25, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

I guess the real story should be that the Colts were using balls that defied physics, haha.  Same thing with that 12th Patriots ball.
Hahahahahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxHkAQRQUQ
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #623 on: January 25, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You understand that Colts' footballs may or have may have been inflated to more than 12.5 and may or may not have been deflated indoors?

A pundit (NY Post, IIRC) today morning was criticizing Belichick for "not providing conclusive evidence that noone on the Patriots tampered with the footballs". After this, I guess there's no winning in the court of public opinion.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:53:24 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #624 on: January 25, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
You understand that Colts' footballs may or have may have been deflated to more than 12.5 and may or may not have been deflated indoors?

A pundit (NY post, IIRC) today morning was criticizing Belichick for "not providing conclusive evidence that noone on the Patriots tampered with the footballs". After this, I guess there's no winning this in the court of public opinion.

Bingo.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #625 on: January 25, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Bill Nye the Science Guy has apparently said that BB's explanation doesn't make sense.

Or do you think he is biased because he worked for Boeing in Seattle, which was also where he did his TV show?

Bill Nye thinks belief in evolution is necessary in order to have "engineers that can build stuff," so I don't give any weight to what he says.

As for footballs, anyone (such as myself) who grew up in a cold-weather state knows that taking a well-inflated football out into a cold environment will result in a loss of air pressure (though it may take quite a while for the air-pressure loss to become so great as to be noticeable by feel). We never took psi measurements, of course, but I can well imagine a 12.5 psi football dropping to the "criminal" level of 11.5 or even 10.5 in cold conditions. And since 2 psi is equivalent to the weight of a dollar bill, it's unlikely that anyone would notice the loss in air pressure just by feeling the football (as evidenced by the on-field game officials apparently not noticing anything off with New England's footballs).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #626 on: January 25, 2015, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
You understand that Colts' footballs may or have may have been inflated to more than 12.5 and may or may not have been deflated indoors?
Um so did they not rub them or were they checked somewhere with a different temperature than where the pats balls were checked?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #627 on: January 25, 2015, 04:04:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Bill Nye thinks belief in evolution is necessary in order to have "engineers that can build stuff," so I don't give any weight to what he says.

As for footballs, anyone (such as myself) who grew up in a cold-weather state knows that taking a well-inflated football out into a cold environment will result in a loss of air pressure (though it may take quite a while for the air-pressure loss to become so great as to be noticeable by feel). We never took psi measurements, of course, but I can well imagine a 12.5 psi football dropping to the "criminal" level of 11.5 or even 10.5 in cold conditions. And since 2 psi is equivalent to the weight of a dollar bill, it's unlikely that anyone would notice the loss in air pressure just by feeling the football (as evidenced by the on-field game officials apparently not noticing anything off with New England's footballs).
And a Pittsburgh science think tank was able to replicate what Belichick suggested happened. Whoops.

“We took 12 brand new authentic NFL footballs and exposed them to the different elements they would have experienced throughout the game.’?¯ said Healy, a masters student in mechanical engineering at Carnegie Mellon. “Out of the 12 footballs we tested, we found that on average, footballs dropped 1.8 PSI when being exposed to dropping temperatures and wet conditions.”

“During testing, 12 brand new footballs were inflated to 12.5 PSI in a 75 degree Fahrenheit room. This was to imitate the indoor conditions where the referees would have tested the footballs 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. The footballs were then moved to a 50 degree Fahrenheit environment to simulate the temperatures that were experienced throughout the game. In addition, the footballs were dampened to replicate the rainy conditions.”

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/01/25/bill-nye-science-guy-claims-bill-belichick-doesnt-make-any-sense-in-explanation/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #628 on: January 25, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
 Bill Nye is the Dr Oz of science right now.

« Reply #629 on: January 25, 2015, 04:14:49 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Doesn't ESPN have a whole bit about sports science?  Can't they test it and replicate the loss of PSI?  Of course they can, and probably did but they don't want to let a good story go without beating it to death a couple more weeks.