Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596351 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #600 on: January 24, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Today's press conference:

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Belichick-124-We-feel-like-we-followed-the-rules/d607eb23-2f67-4da5-aedc-b8bfba8d4c11

I have no doubts Pats fans will eat this stuff up. Belichick's rant against the media will play well in NE.

But to outsiders, like myself, it's just further proof the guy is a pompous jackass. Fantastic coach, but also a cheater and a ego-centric db.

They hate us because they ain't us.  Success breeds jealousy.

Do you call the Indy organization "cheaters" because they piped in crowd noise?  Or the 49ers "cheaters" because they broke salary cap rules??
Do you consider the Celtics organization to be "cheaters" because they had a dead spot in the floor and did cute tricks like spiking up the temperature???

Just want to see if you are consistent or if your opinion is biased.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #601 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »

Offline KJR

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 37
Great Presser.

What BB suggested was that in "preparing" the footballs as allowed, their tests showed that the balls could later lose 1.5 lbs. of pressure.  He described "preparing" as adjusting the exterior feel of the footballs.

Maybe the Pats filled the footballs rapidly with an automatic device at 72 degrees.  Maybe they then "prepared" them by rubbing the exterior with some kind of strap or cloth with some grit to it that improves the feel.  I'm imagining something like a shoe shine.  The temperature of the ball increases and so does the pressure.  They give the balls to Brady and the refs to approve, and tell the refs to set the pressure at 12.5, which the refs do.  Later the pressure of the footballs sinks as the heated exterior cools and as the air inside the ball reaches the outer temperature (50 degrees).

From Belichik's description of preparing footballs and their internal tests showing a later loss of pressure, this seems like a logical conclusion from his press conference.

This again would be within the letter of the rules (and even the spirit) since "preparing" the exterior feel of the footballs was explicitly allowed.

In any event, the whole circus is and was a complete non-issue.

With 32 teams, 97% or so of all fans are not going to be Patriot fans.  (Maybe our percentage is higher, but you get the point.)  When you're in the Super Bowl 6 times in 14 years, 9 AFC title games, 12 Division titles, other fans and owners are going to be more than a little sick of you, and they're going to jump on every little thing.

I don't think the taping was a big deal.  I don't think this is a big deal.

Brain injuries, murder and other felonies, battering women, intentionally injuring opponents, steroids and other medical treatments that can result in permanent harm -- those are serious issues.

The taping and the ball pressure is, comparatively speaking, nothing. Give the Pats a slap on the wrist if you must, but get on with the game and stop enabling the jealous losers and media hacks who play to the public opinion of the vast majority of fans who support other (less successful) teams.

« Reply #602 on: January 24, 2015, 08:30:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Case. Closed.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #603 on: January 24, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Great Presser.

What BB suggested was that in "preparing" the footballs as allowed, their tests showed that the balls could later lose 1.5 lbs. of pressure.  He described "preparing" as adjusting the exterior feel of the footballs.

Maybe the Pats filled the footballs rapidly with an automatic device at 72 degrees.  Maybe they then "prepared" them by rubbing the exterior with some kind of strap or cloth with some grit to it that improves the feel.  I'm imagining something like a shoe shine.  The temperature of the ball increases and so does the pressure.  They give the balls to Brady and the refs to approve, and tell the refs to set the pressure at 12.5, which the refs do.  Later the pressure of the footballs sinks as the heated exterior cools and as the air inside the ball reaches the outer temperature (50 degrees).

From Belichik's description of preparing footballs and their internal tests showing a later loss of pressure, this seems like a logical conclusion from his press conference.

This again would be within the letter of the rules (and even the spirit) since "preparing" the exterior feel of the footballs was explicitly allowed.

In any event, the whole circus is and was a complete non-issue.

With 32 teams, 97% or so of all fans are not going to be Patriot fans.  (Maybe our percentage is higher, but you get the point.)  When you're in the Super Bowl 6 times in 14 years, 9 AFC title games, 12 Division titles, other fans and owners are going to be more than a little sick of you, and they're going to jump on every little thing.

I don't think the taping was a big deal.  I don't think this is a big deal.

Brain injuries, murder and other felonies, battering women, intentionally injuring opponents, steroids and other medical treatments that can result in permanent harm -- those are serious issues.

The taping and the ball pressure is, comparatively speaking, nothing. Give the Pats a slap on the wrist if you must, but get on with the game and stop enabling the jealous losers and media hacks who play to the public opinion of the vast majority of fans who support other (less successful) teams.

Hold on, dude. You're speaking way too much reason and logic here.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #604 on: January 24, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Belichick-124-We-feel-like-we-followed-the-rules/d607eb23-2f67-4da5-aedc-b8bfba8d4c11

I have no doubts Pats fans will eat this stuff up. Belichick's rant against the media will play well in NE.

But to outsiders, like myself, it's just further proof the guy is a pompous jackass. Fantastic coach, but also a cheater and a ego-centric db.

The media just dragged his name through the mud with no evidence for a week now on one of the biggest weeks of his life.  Imagine if someone did that to you over something you take a lot of pride in.  But yeah, so pompous

This is 100% what bill was talking about when he talked about things the league should also look at.  He was solo p---ed
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #605 on: January 24, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

TP. At times it can be funny to watch/hear, but in this instance, Bill's aggressive attack on journalists and critics of the Pats is tired and annoying.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #606 on: January 24, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

TP. At times it can be funny to watch/hear, but in this instance, Bill's aggressive attack on journalists and critics of the Pats is tired and annoying.

as opposed to talking heads on ESPN and CNN aggressively attacking Bill comparing him to Whitey Bulger, Ailkmen(who brady is about to pass in super bowl rings) saying this is worse than bounty gate and they should be punished more severely? They are clearly trying to make a huge story out of it.

Seriously, CNN has spent a huge majority of the last week covering this story. ESPN has their head anchor saying "someone stole 2lbs of air out of the footballs " . Either they are just plain stupid, or are trying to make a huge story out of this for ratings .

« Reply #607 on: January 24, 2015, 09:23:28 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Patriot haters won't be satisfied until Belichick is burned at the stakes.

He's gonna try and win another championship or two, but he'll retire soon enough guys. Don't worry.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #608 on: January 24, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

as opposed to talking heads on ESPN and CNN aggressively attacking Bill comparing him to Whitey Bulger, Ailkmen(who brady is about to pass in super bowl rings) saying this is worse than bounty gate and they should be punished more severely? They are clearly trying to make a huge story out of it.

Seriously, CNN has spent a huge majority of the last week covering this story. ESPN has their head anchor saying "someone stole 2lbs of air out of the footballs " . Either they are just plain stupid, or are trying to make a huge story out of this for ratings .

Bill is the aggressor now? Now that's pretty funny.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #609 on: January 24, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The media just dragged his name through the mud with no evidence for a week now on one of the biggest weeks of his life.  Imagine if someone did that to you over something you take a lot of pride in.  But yeah, so pompous

This is 100% what bill was talking about when he talked about things the league should also look at.  He was solo p---ed

the more this drags on, the more Goodell looks like a fool.  Wonder if the other owners are making him give the Patriots a hard time, twisting in the wind.  Jealousy is a female dog.

« Reply #610 on: January 24, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
i just think that it's telling that when reggie miller and grant hill were on TNT the other night talking about how they used to deflate basketballs it's "cute" and "funny." the same for then the chargers were putting stick-um on their gloves a couple years back and then were fined by the league, that story went basically untouched by the media, at most it probably gave a few people a chuckle.
same with baseball players and hockey players messing with equipment.
but all of a sudden the pats allegedly do it and it's the apocalypse.
but, of course, the pats have a "history" of cheating. like when they were videotaping other teams' signals from the sidelines. of course back then it was 100% LEGAL, and only became illegal in the first game of the 2007 season, when BB defied goodell's league memo and had a guy doing it out in the open. the pats paid a huge penalty for what was a tiny infraction, BB should have been smart and just had someone in the stands do it instead.
and no-one mentions that the jets were the first ones caught TAPING THE PATS SIGNS, which probably started the whole mess. and BB and mangini of course had beef after mangini left the pats to go to an arch-rival, which is likely why he ratted BB out. mangini has since expressed regret at the whole situation, which became much bigger than he'd intended.
this whole "pats cheat" thing isn't about the "integrity of the game;" it's about people who have a beef with the admittedly unpleasant BB, and people who are jealous of the pats success.
some say the pats are losing credibility as winners; i say the whiners out there are losing credibility as fans or experts.

« Reply #611 on: January 24, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

the more this drags on, the more Goodell looks like a fool.  Wonder if the other owners are making him give the Patriots a hard time, twisting in the wind.  Jealousy is a female dog.

this fake concern about the "integrity of the game" is pathetic and should be embarrassing to these hypocrites.
the owners didn't seem to care about the integrity of the game when they trotted out a bunch of amateur officials to officiate a $10B league, all over a dispute of $1M.

« Reply #612 on: January 24, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I think Wetzel's column sums the BB presser up nicely.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-bill-belichick-doubles-down-on-patriots--innocence-in-deflate-gate--dares-nfl-to-prove-him-wrong-225504102.html

Regardless of innocence or not (which BB and Pats fans are convinced of, regardless of whether others are or not), BB is doubling down and says he's convinced the Pats did nothing wrong, spent a bunch of hours this week running "tests" and believes these tests can account for what happened on Sunday, and he's done with it. It literally was a blast at the NFL.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #613 on: January 24, 2015, 11:04:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Oh, and Fox Sports has now turned this all into a joke, using words like bizarre to describe the past week....

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-deflategate-super-bowl-012415

This is no longer front line news. People are now on to things..
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #614 on: January 25, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Bill Nye the Science Guy has apparently said that BB's explanation doesn't make sense.

Or do you think he is biased because he worked for Boeing in Seattle, which was also where he did his TV show?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference