Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596319 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Okay, I might be extremely stupid/ignorant on this, but is everyone in this thread saying that a significant amount of air actually escapes from the ball when subjected to cold for a couple hours?

The pressure goes down when the ball enters the cold, but doesn't it go back up when it's re-warmed?
The 12th ball having the correct amount of pressure kind of screws them.

My guess is that's a "K" ball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Okay, I might be extremely stupid/ignorant on this, but is everyone in this thread saying that a significant amount of air actually escapes from the ball when subjected to cold for a couple hours?

The pressure goes down when the ball enters the cold, but doesn't it go back up when it's re-warmed?

I thought it was the ball they put in play at the beginning of the 2nd half when the refs held up the game . The pats scored 21 points in the 3rd after they did that by the way .

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I thought it was the ball they put in play at the beginning of the 2nd half when the refs held up the game . The pats scored 21 points in the 3rd after they did that by the way .

I'm talking about the ball with the correct amount of pressure.  My guess is it was a "K" ball. 

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wow... After 7 years here on this forum, I just learned a new trick to uploading a picture quickly.
What the heck is with the text as pictures recently? It's annoying, it doesn't resize with your screen, and carries no particular benefits to speak of.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No doubt that the Pats were decisively the better team.  They've crushed Indy the last three times they've played them.  That's not due to air pressure.

That said, in some ways that makes it less understandable.  Why cheat when you're clearly the better team?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
In any sport its up to the referee to check the ball to make sure its regulation.  Ultimately it comes down to the refs failing to do their job - a recurring theme with the NFL.  The fact that there was gamesmanship going on...so what.  It's part of the sport and always has been.

The refs did check the balls, it is quite obvious that they were toyed with after they had been approved by the officiating crew. To further point out how asinine your comment is, it only took a few plays for the refs to realize that something was wrong with the footballs and they were immediately substituted in with properly inflated balls.
Um, no, it didn't. The balls were not reported "soft" until halftime when Brady was picked off. This was well-documented when the story broke down yesterday.

Which brings us full circle to the following question: how did the officials, who handle every ball after every snap (both Pats balls and Colts balls) didn't see anything wrong, and one Colts player suddenly figured out something is wrong from one touch. I mean, wouldn't it be immediately obvious to an official that the Pats balls were noticeably softer than Colts balls?

Also, the narrative of the story has suddenly changed from "balls were underinflated by 2 PSI" to "balls were underinflated by up to 2 PSI". So go figure.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
The Pats have always done very well in poor weather conditions. It makes you wonder how long this has been going on.

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 10:52:43 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Also, the narrative of the story has suddenly changed from "balls were underinflated by 2 PSI" to "balls were underinflated by up to 2 PSI". So go figure.

Yes, this is a point I've been curious about.
Its one thing if all 11 balls were 2 PSI under.
Its another if 11 balls were under regulation, with the one that was the most underinflated being 2PSI under.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I'm talking about the ball with the correct amount of pressure.  My guess is it was a "K" ball.
I don't see how it screws them. If all balls lost 1-2 PSI in the cold and the K ball was pumped to the max (which K balls usually are), then it may still be 12.5 PSI, which is regulation pressure.

We'll wait and see, I guess. Though I doubt people inflating the balls are sitting there is sitting there with a pressure gauge to make sure balls are 12.5 PSI even -- given that the QB will hand-pick 12 balls that "feel right" anyhow. I can't imagine the referees do that when they inspect the equipment pre-game, either.

One interesting thing I learned over the last couple of days is that QBs are fairly particular about the game balls, so it's not that someone pumps up a bunch of balls to some specs and then the QB uses them without having seen them before game day. Here's an interesting article on this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sports/football/eli-mannings-footballs-are-months-in-making.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:59:25 AM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't see how it screws them. If all balls lost 1-2 PSI in the cold and the K ball was pumped to the max (which K balls usually are), then it may still be 12.5 PSI, which is regulation pressure.

Oh, I didn't say that it necessarily screws them. I'm just postulating that the regulation ball that did meet specs was a "K" ball.  Common sense would dictate that thing would be inflated to the max.

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Oh, I didn't say that it necessarily screws them. I'm just postulating that the regulation ball that did meet specs was a "K" ball.  Common sense would dictate that thing would be inflated to the max.
Probably true. Also, I find it highly unlikely that they can play the entire second half with one ball. There are 12 game balls for a reason, and that's especially important in bad weather.

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I said it. I didn't know this information about the 12th ball being a K ball.

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Def disappointed as a Pats fan. We'll never hear the end of this and they're too good to even need this.

That being said, they really should test the Colt's balls to see how they compare. It does seem like they were tampered with, but at least they should take test the Colt's balls to get a comparison and rule out the cold weather issue.

NFL should be in charge of all football used in the game and not allow either side to make adjustments. This isn't something new. I'm sure a lot of teams mess with the PSI of the ball, by heating it or deflating it.

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

What they were saying on the radio is that "K" balls are handled separately from the 12 game balls used in regular play. Also the 12th ball was also under typical pressure, but not outside of the specificed range.

My guess is that it just didn't get as deflated as the others for whatever reason, deflator error if you will.

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I said it. I didn't know this information about the 12th ball being a K ball.
Teams usually have a separate ball for their kicking units. It is typically "straight out of the box" and pumped to the max, so that it's a little more slick and hard to handle. In contrast, QB balls are usually prepped for days in advance to wear them in a bit for better grip.