Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 599613 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
WALL OF VENOM

This is a solid example of the time honored "well these other things are bad and didn't get punished so this thing that was bad shouldn't get punished either."

The "Why this but not that?" defense is applicable to basically any issue in any conceivable circumstance, which is why it's so popular with hacks of the professional and amateur varieties.  My personal favorite recent use was that if you didn't travel back in time and boycott Donald Sterling when he did racist stuff decades ago, he gets a blank check to keep doing it in perpetuity.

It's fair to say this is getting an inordinate amount of attention, partly because it's the Patriots and partly because there's still 10 days to kill before the Superb Owl, but commonplace cheating is still cheating.  There's no way any of the ridiculous penalties ol' Angerbot up there is suggesting will come to pass though.  They'll just fine them and hopefully tighten up ball check procedures for the future.

When the heck did I say "WALL OF VENOM"?  If people are going to quote me, at least be accurate and don't edit my posts.

Sorry Dons, I didn't want to repost the entire long article again.  Didn't mean to imply it was your words, so I altered the original post.

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If the Patriots inflate the balls with hot air, then give the officials the balls to check and after playing in 40 degree weather the balls cool and the PSI goes down, is that cheating?

Why weren't the Colts affected, then?

Plus, from what I understand, weather probably wouldn't account for losing 2 PSI in a few hours.

I have some minor degree of the sympathy for the "everyone is doing it" argument.  I think the "this wasn't intentional" justification is silly, though.

IF THE PATRIOTS INFLATED THEIR BALLS WITH HOT AIR.  Maybe the Dolts used room temperature balls.  Maybe the Patriots inflate their balls to 10 1/2 psi room temp, stick them in the sauna until they get to 12 1/2 psi and then give them to the refs to check the PSI. 

What I am saying is, if you want an underinflated ball, simply pump it up with hot air, get it checked, then send it out into 40 degree weather.

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Seems pretty clear to me as a non-Pats fan, that deflated balls had nothing to do the way the Pats handled the Colts.

At the same time, reading through this thread, I have to shake my head. The way so many of you fans are rationalizing it or putting it on the refs is ridiculous.

They cheated, and I fail to see how it could be unintentional.

All this "well other teams do it too!" Is nonsense.

Not impressed with this group of football fans (on the whole) at all.

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's fair to say this is getting an inordinate amount of attention, partly because it's the Patriots and partly because there's still 10 days to kill before the Superb Owl, but commonplace cheating is still cheating.
So do you think that someone was sitting one the sidelines with a needle deflating balls (because the refs have the balls until the game starts)?

No idea.

And is it still "cheating" if the balls were, in fact, approved by the refs in this condition? The rulebook does say that the officiating crew is the sole authority on whether a football conforms with the necessary standards.

If the balls were deliberately treated in such a way to make them non-conforming at any point during the game, then yes, that's cheating by definition.

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the Patriots inflate the balls with hot air, then give the officials the balls to check and after playing in 40 degree weather the balls cool and the PSI goes down, is that cheating?

Plus, from what I understand, weather probably wouldn't account for losing 2 PSI in a few hours.

I have some minor degree of the sympathy for the "everyone is doing it" argument.  I think the "this wasn't intentional" justification is silly, though.

IF THE PATRIOTS INFLATED THEIR BALLS WITH HOT AIR.  Maybe the Dolts used room temperature balls.  Maybe the Patriots inflate their balls to 10 1/2 psi room temp, stick them in the sauna until they get to 12 1/2 psi and then give them to the refs to check the PSI. 

What I am saying is, if you want an underinflated ball, simply pump it up with hot air, get it checked, then send it out into 40 degree weather.

If they used heated air or warmed the balls in a sauna, that would be cheating as well.

What's the problem with just playing by the rules?  The Pats were clearly the dominant team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Bruce Allen of Boston Sports Media Watch with an absolutely epic rant.  Can't say I necessarily agree with everything but he does make some good points.  If nothing else, it's an entertaining read.  Hint:  It's not exactly objective.

Big Bad Bill Belichick.

He really does bring out the absolute worst in the media. Things that would be ignored, or laughed off if they were done by any other team, results in hysterical, hair-on-fire denunciations if the Patriots are involved.

He causes the media to become unable to think for themselves, and become subject to a mob mentality in which they are all sheep, following along with the loudest voices, and afraid to produce an original thought.

The NFL, specifically its Commissioner, is a laughingstock, pledging a transparent investigation, they instead allow late night leaks of salacious details to good ol’ boy reporters. They pledge to get all the details and facts from Foxboro when they can’t even ascertain whether a video was received by the league office showing a player knocking a woman unconscious. They want us to trust their investigation when they hire a former associate to investigate themselves over said video incident.

As usual Roger Goodell has lost control of the situation, and will be in full reactionary mode once he decides to take action.

For Goodell, he can get himself into the good graces with the media by inflicting the harshest possible punishment upon Bill Belichick and the Patriots. This satisfies the bloodlust of the media and the public outside of New England, and gets Goodell back into the good graces of the media after his PR fiascos earlier in the season.

What I’m saying is be prepared for the worst possible outcome from this. Belichick suspended for Super Bowl? Entirely possible. Suspended for next season? Entirely possible. Multiple first round draft picks taken away? Entirely possible.

If, after all of that Robert Kraft kowtows to Goodell and tells us all what a great job he’s doing one more time, I’m going to be gravely disappointed in him and what he stands for.
For making the football a bit softer so the QB could grip them better. (and that’s even speculation, we don’t actually know the facts here yet, just that the balls were under regulation by 2 PSI.)
It doesn’t matter that the best quarterback in the NFL told CBS earlier this season about liking to overinflate balls and pushing the limits and seeing if they can fool the officials, all so he can grip them better.

It doesn’t matter that a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback insists on his footballs being doctored for months before he will use them in a game because he wants to be comfortable gripping them.

It doesn’t matter that a Super Bowl winning quarterback has admitted to paying $7500 to have the 100 footballs used in the Super Bowl he played in altered  so that he could grip them better.

It doesn’t matter that the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers were using heaters to warm up footballs on the sidelines this season. (which would impact the hardness/grip of the football, by the way)

Nothing matters other than the fact that the Colts were getting their butts kicked and wanted to find a way to try and get in the Patriots heads. They didn’t actually anticipate it going this far, very similar to the Jets when they reported the Patriots for taping in an incorrect spot.

Nothing matters other than the fact the owner of the Colts, coming off a season in which he was suspended for six games, gave a crony columnist a middle of the night tip, which initially the columnist thought to ignore, but instead decided that since it was the Patriots, he’d get a lot of play out of it, and ran with it, and now says Belichick should be suspended for the Super Bowl and is a national star.

Nothing matters other than the fact that Belichick isn’t cuddly with the media, and most out there would like nothing more than to see him fired and disgraced, so they’re put aside any objectivity they may (unlikely) have possessed and have gone all-in on the idea that this is a huge cheat masterminded by Bill Belichick who personally oversaw the deflation of the footballs. (also unlikely) That’s the true endgame here.

The national media, in addition to the piling on of Belichick also goes after the fans who make the points above. They call it excuse making, and saying that those incidents don’t matter because the rules were broken here, and the Patriots were caught. OK. That’s legit. Punish them according to the severity of the alleged crime. But why can’t the hypocrisy be pointed out at least? We’re supposed to take this incident seriously – to the point of huge suspensions/punishments – but it’s OK to completely ignore the other incidents that have taken place?

sometimes you can get lucky and put an extra half a pound of air in there to help Aaron Rodgers out.

Hypocrites. Cowards. Frauds.

link?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bruce Allen of Boston Sports Media Watch with an absolutely epic rant.  Can't say I necessarily agree with everything but he does make some good points.  If nothing else, it's an entertaining read.  Hint:  It's not exactly objective.

Big Bad Bill Belichick.

He really does bring out the absolute worst in the media. Things that would be ignored, or laughed off if they were done by any other team, results in hysterical, hair-on-fire denunciations if the Patriots are involved.

He causes the media to become unable to think for themselves, and become subject to a mob mentality in which they are all sheep, following along with the loudest voices, and afraid to produce an original thought.

The NFL, specifically its Commissioner, is a laughingstock, pledging a transparent investigation, they instead allow late night leaks of salacious details to good ol’ boy reporters. They pledge to get all the details and facts from Foxboro when they can’t even ascertain whether a video was received by the league office showing a player knocking a woman unconscious. They want us to trust their investigation when they hire a former associate to investigate themselves over said video incident.

As usual Roger Goodell has lost control of the situation, and will be in full reactionary mode once he decides to take action.

For Goodell, he can get himself into the good graces with the media by inflicting the harshest possible punishment upon Bill Belichick and the Patriots. This satisfies the bloodlust of the media and the public outside of New England, and gets Goodell back into the good graces of the media after his PR fiascos earlier in the season.

What I’m saying is be prepared for the worst possible outcome from this. Belichick suspended for Super Bowl? Entirely possible. Suspended for next season? Entirely possible. Multiple first round draft picks taken away? Entirely possible.

If, after all of that Robert Kraft kowtows to Goodell and tells us all what a great job he’s doing one more time, I’m going to be gravely disappointed in him and what he stands for.
For making the football a bit softer so the QB could grip them better. (and that’s even speculation, we don’t actually know the facts here yet, just that the balls were under regulation by 2 PSI.)
It doesn’t matter that the best quarterback in the NFL told CBS earlier this season about liking to overinflate balls and pushing the limits and seeing if they can fool the officials, all so he can grip them better.

It doesn’t matter that a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback insists on his footballs being doctored for months before he will use them in a game because he wants to be comfortable gripping them.

It doesn’t matter that a Super Bowl winning quarterback has admitted to paying $7500 to have the 100 footballs used in the Super Bowl he played in altered  so that he could grip them better.

It doesn’t matter that the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers were using heaters to warm up footballs on the sidelines this season. (which would impact the hardness/grip of the football, by the way)

Nothing matters other than the fact that the Colts were getting their butts kicked and wanted to find a way to try and get in the Patriots heads. They didn’t actually anticipate it going this far, very similar to the Jets when they reported the Patriots for taping in an incorrect spot.

Nothing matters other than the fact the owner of the Colts, coming off a season in which he was suspended for six games, gave a crony columnist a middle of the night tip, which initially the columnist thought to ignore, but instead decided that since it was the Patriots, he’d get a lot of play out of it, and ran with it, and now says Belichick should be suspended for the Super Bowl and is a national star.

Nothing matters other than the fact that Belichick isn’t cuddly with the media, and most out there would like nothing more than to see him fired and disgraced, so they’re put aside any objectivity they may (unlikely) have possessed and have gone all-in on the idea that this is a huge cheat masterminded by Bill Belichick who personally oversaw the deflation of the footballs. (also unlikely) That’s the true endgame here.

The national media, in addition to the piling on of Belichick also goes after the fans who make the points above. They call it excuse making, and saying that those incidents don’t matter because the rules were broken here, and the Patriots were caught. OK. That’s legit. Punish them according to the severity of the alleged crime. But why can’t the hypocrisy be pointed out at least? We’re supposed to take this incident seriously – to the point of huge suspensions/punishments – but it’s OK to completely ignore the other incidents that have taken place?

sometimes you can get lucky and put an extra half a pound of air in there to help Aaron Rodgers out.

link?

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/2015/01/media-hypocrisy-cowardice-never-bigger-than-when-patriots-are-involved

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
WALL OF VENOM

This is a solid example of the time honored "well these other things are bad and didn't get punished so this thing that was bad shouldn't get punished either."

The "Why this but not that?" defense is applicable to basically any issue in any conceivable circumstance, which is why it's so popular with hacks of the professional and amateur varieties.  My personal favorite recent use was that if you didn't travel back in time and boycott Donald Sterling when he did racist stuff decades ago, he gets a blank check to keep doing it in perpetuity.

It's fair to say this is getting an inordinate amount of attention, partly because it's the Patriots and partly because there's still 10 days to kill before the Superb Owl, but commonplace cheating is still cheating.  There's no way any of the ridiculous penalties ol' Angerbot up there is suggesting will come to pass though.  They'll just fine them and hopefully tighten up ball check procedures for the future.

When the heck did I say "WALL OF VENOM"?  If people are going to quote me, at least be accurate and don't edit my posts.

Sorry Dons, I didn't want to repost the entire long article again.  Didn't mean to imply it was your words, so I altered the original post.

Just looks bad.  That's all I'm saying.

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell

If they used heated air or warmed the balls in a sauna, that would be cheating as well.

What's the problem with just playing by the rules?  The Pats were clearly the dominant team.

You say it is cheating, but what rule is it breaking?  You can do anything you want to the balls prior to being inspected by the refs.  I haven't seen a rule saying what temperature the air in the balls has to be.  I can see a "spirit of the rule" argument but this is a billion dollar business, I don't think you can have "spirit of the rule" arguments.

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You say it is cheating, but what rule is it breaking?  You can do anything you want to the balls prior to being inspected by the refs.  I haven't seen a rule saying what temperature the air in the balls has to be.  I can see a "spirit of the rule" argument but this is a billion dollar business, I don't think you can have "spirit of the rule" arguments.
The other curious part is that the rulebook says that the balls should be in the custody of the officiating crew until the game, and reports from today indicate they were instead handed back to the teams after inspection.

I wonder how meticulous things get in an NFL locker room on Sunday. Is it more of a "this ball looks fine, let's play", or do they take a pressure gauge to each individual ball before they mark it. It certainly looks more like the former rather than the later.

I have no doubts that most teams do something to game balls that is to their QBs liking, just as I have no doubts that if anyone is to be slammed for this, it would be the Patriots.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »

Offline C-Green

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
It certainly seems the Pats deflated balls which IS cheating, though it is unlikely that it can be proved. Yes, Pats were clearly the better team though that only makes the latest incident even more crass and classless.

Also, several have mentioned that the weather would bring the psi down, which is true. How do you explain the 12th football not being deflated? One would assume that the temperature would have effected all 12 footballs equally, yet it did not. Also, people keep bringing up Rodgers saying he likes overinflated balls. There is a window of 12.5-13.5 psi which is legal. So, Rodgers could prefer his balls at 13.5 (still legal). I am not aware of any complaints regarding the balls Rodgers uses in games either.

Just wanted to make sure it was pointed out that neither argument holds any weight nor does it justify tampering with a ball; otherwise known as cheating.

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Big Bad Bill Belichick.

Well, I'm a biased Pats fan as well, so keep that in my mind as you read my comments, but the above writer makes some great points that should be heeded. For example, the Panthers and Vikings were captured on live TV last November heating up footballs during a cold game—and it seems that the only thing the league did was issue a league-wide memo reminding teams that balls are not to be heated during games. Ok, fine. No sweat.

But this is a witch hunt, a case of "we've had enough of Belichick pushing the envelope and sometimes crossing the line, and this is our chance to nail him to the wall." Pure and simple.

I'm not a cheater. If I'm playing a friendly (or competitive) game of cards with friends and a card falls to the floor and I have a chance to look at it without anyone knowing, I don't look at it. So I'm disappointed if any of "my" teams or players cheat.

But the NFL isn't treating all offenders of this rule equally, and that's also wrong. In fact, this rule seems to be one of those "it's technically a rule but not really a rule" kind of rules—you know, like how cars technically aren't supposed to be over the line marking the crosswalk, but people do it all the time. I'm a cyclist and I see this happen a lot, but it usually doesn't bother me—no harm, no foul. Whatever. That's life. God gives me grace, so I try to give it to others.

Or to look at it another way, technically I'm breaking the law if I'm driving 46 mph in a 45-mph zone, but am I really doing something wrong? Am I being reckless? Am I endangering anyone? Because is there any real difference between 45 and 46 mph? Only a jerky police officer would pull me over in that instance, and that's what the NFL is being here: a jerky police officer.

I admit that I'm more of a "spirit of the law" kind of guy, as opposed to being a "letter of the law" person. And it seems that the NFL has been a "spirit of the law" kind of entity when it comes to footballs and how QBs prefer them to be (Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Brad Johnson), basically sending the message, "Hey, as long as the balls aren't at some extreme—like rock-hard or pillow-soft—do what you want."

And I have to ask this question: Why is there even a rule about inflation? Really, why? You obviously can't play with a flat ball, but why does it matter whether the ball is a bit soft, or firm, or superfirm? And yes, I realize that the level of inflation changes the grip, but that's not what I mean by "why does it matter?". What I mean is, the football is usually in the hands of the offense, so why not let each QB inflate the ball to the level he wants, to whatever level works best for him and his receivers? That's not cheating. That's not an unfair competitive advantage. It's letting each QB be comfortable. And each team would have the same opportunity to do what it wants. That's perfectly fair. In fact, the NFL is already allowing this to an extent, by allowing a range of PSI in which the football can be. So the league is already saying there can be differences—so why not just allow all differences (or virtually all, excluding those extremes I mentioned)? What's the rationale behind saying a ball can be anywhere from 12.5 psi to 13.5 psi? Why is 12.4 psi bad? Or 13.8? Seems arbitrary to me. And I also have to ask: What's the difference between slightly deflating a ball—and letting receivers wear supergrip gloves?

Granted, the NFL hasn't made any ruling yet, so it may end up adhering to the spirit of the law, but that's not the impression I'm getting so far. Instead, judging by what has taken place to this point, the NFL is poised to crush the head of the Belichick snake. Over a little bit of air.

I realize the Patriots have a track record of pushing the envelope, if not outright cheating, but the past is the past. The Patriots paid a price for SpyGate. But if SpyGate was so egregious, the NFL should've just banned Belichick then and been done with it. You can't keep punishing someone for old wounds. Move on. Judge them on this instance alone, an instance that, at worst, is so minor as to be not worth the fuss.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2015, 12:34:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I can see a "spirit of the rule" argument but this is a billion dollar business, I don't think you can have "spirit of the rule" arguments.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
It certainly seems the Pats deflated balls which IS cheating, though it is unlikely that it can be proved. Yes, Pats were clearly the better team though that only makes the latest incident even more crass and classless.

Also, several have mentioned that the weather would bring the psi down, which is true. How do you explain the 12th football not being deflated? One would assume that the temperature would have effected all 12 footballs equally, yet it did not. Also, people keep bringing up Rodgers saying he likes overinflated balls. There is a window of 12.5-13.5 psi which is legal. So, Rodgers could prefer his balls at 13.5 (still legal). I am not aware of any complaints regarding the balls Rodgers uses in games either.

Just wanted to make sure it was pointed out that neither argument holds any weight nor does it justify tampering with a ball; otherwise known as cheating.

12th ball was initially inflated to the high end of of psi spectrum while the other 11 were inflated to the bare minimum.   With any deflation occurring after the fact (natural or not), the 11 would fall under the threshold while the 12th one may not have.

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
If the Patriots didn't monkey around with the temperature of the balls, I have a hard time believing the ball boy pulled out 12 footballs in front of everyone and started deflating balls right before the game.   Nobody noticed?  On Mike and Mike the former Officials supervisor said they give the ball boy the bag of balls just 10 minutes before the game starts.  He'd have to pull out all the balls, deflate, put it in the bag, grab the next one, deflate, put it in the bag, grab the next one, deflate and put it in the bag... and so on and so on without anyone noticing?  I'm not buying it.

It would be much easier to believe they heat them up, it probably wouldn't have to be too hot to get 2 psi  difference between 40degrees and whatever they needed to warm them to be legal.

It would be easy to test for anyone with a football, a pressure gauge,  and a refrigerator.  Someone get on that.