Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596420 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2015, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If the Patriots inflate the balls with hot air, then give the officials the balls to check and after playing in 40 degree weather the balls cool and the PSI goes down, is that cheating?

Why weren't the Colts affected, then?

Plus, from what I understand, weather probably wouldn't account for losing 2 PSI in a few hours.

I have some minor degree of the sympathy for the "everyone is doing it" argument.  I think the "this wasn't intentional" justification is silly, though.

IF THE PATRIOTS INFLATED THEIR BALLS WITH HOT AIR.  Maybe the Dolts used room temperature balls.  Maybe the Patriots inflate their balls to 10 1/2 psi room temp, stick them in the sauna until they get to 12 1/2 psi and then give them to the refs to check the PSI. 

What I am saying is, if you want an underinflated ball, simply pump it up with hot air, get it checked, then send it out into 40 degree weather.

Haha, and they wouldn't notice one team's balls are 100+ degrees and much hotter to the touch than the other team's?  Seems a lot more noticeable (qualitatively) than less air.

Why would they go through all that, when all they have to do is stick a needle in the ball for 2 whole seconds?  It's not like that even solves the problem of having your balls checked after the game.  All that means is they would have to fudge TWO weigh-ins instead of just one.

Maybe they did notice.  There isn't a rule saying the balls can't be warm.  I'd guess, the refs really don't care.  They measure what they have to and go on with their game preparation.  What are they going to do, tell the Patriots to go get new balls because these are too warm?

If they did say, "hey why are these balls hot?"  The Patriots probably said it makes them soft or the laces stick up, or sticky or whatever.  It isn't the refs job to to monitor the temperature of the balls.  They might even have said, the balls are hot because the cold weather will make them deflate to how we like them.  Ok, no rule against that.  It isn't like the refs can go making rules up on the fly.

« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Hah, you're telling me. I dislike the Bengals more than I dislike the Pats. Heck I dislike them more than I dislike the Steelers (who I can actually respect as a franchise). Andy Dalton is my least favorite player in the NFL.
I don't care much about the Bengals one way or the other -- just felt compelled to pitch in on this. The next time Dalton plays well in a game that matters will be his first.

I just dislike teams like the Bengals and Falcons who always receive the "this is their year" hype, and then predictably choke. One way to look at it is that it's just noise that you can ignore and therefore no harm is done. But if they're in your division as Cincy is in Baltimore's division, it becomes harder to ignore and much more of an annoyance.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh had rebuilding years in 2014/15 and still proved to be the better ballclubs than a Cincy team that was supposed to at least reach the second round. Next year fans of AFC North teams will again have to hear about Cincy's eventual breakout year. It's getting tired.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Maybe they did notice.  There isn't a rule saying the balls can't be warm.  I'd guess, the refs really don't care.  They measure what they have to and go on with their game preparation.  What are they going to do, tell the Patriots to go get new balls because these are too warm?

If they did say, "hey why are these balls hot?"  The Patriots probably said it makes them soft or the laces stick up, or sticky or whatever.  It isn't the refs job to to monitor the temperature of the balls.  They might even have said, the balls are hot because the cold weather will make them deflate to how we like them.  Ok, no rule against that.  It isn't like the refs can go making rules up on the fly.
The problem is that the mental picture people will get out of this is Belichick with a needle on the sidelines, letting air out of balls. Which is pretty ridiculous.

I mean, do you think the average Joe can tell you why exactly the Pats were fined in "Spygate"? (hint: it wasn't because  they were "spying").
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Here's another interesting tidbit, in a Yahoo story:

You don’t just use random footballs in the NFL, or even major college football. They are never brand new. A coach doesn't just decide "try that one." They’ve been selected, and prepared, specifically for a certain QB, and in New England that means Brady and Brady only.

They can take weeks to get exactly right. They get scuffed and buffed to remove the slippery wax veneer. They get soaked in water to help make them less susceptible to moisture during actual in-game weather. Some teams rub dirt all over them. Others sand the laces just so.

The writer's making the point that whatever happened, Brady had to have been aware of it. But when I read this, I say to myself: What the heck? It's okay to soak balls in water, rub dirt on them, and sand the freakin' laces ... but they're going to get all nitpicky on the level of inflation?!? What?!?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I find it a little funny that Jerry Rice is saying the Pats cheated. This is the man that came back IN SEASON from a snapped ACL at the age of 35. I'm sure he did it well within the rules. No help there. Just nature.

« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Here's another interesting tidbit, in a Yahoo story:

You don’t just use random footballs in the NFL, or even major college football. They are never brand new. A coach doesn't just decide "try that one." They’ve been selected, and prepared, specifically for a certain QB, and in New England that means Brady and Brady only.

They can take weeks to get exactly right. They get scuffed and buffed to remove the slippery wax veneer. They get soaked in water to help make them less susceptible to moisture during actual in-game weather. Some teams rub dirt all over them. Others sand the laces just so.

The writer's making the point that whatever happened, Brady had to have been aware of it. But when I read this, I say to myself: What the heck? It's okay to soak balls in water, rub dirt on them, and sand the freakin' laces ... but they're going to get all nitpicky on the level of inflation?!? What?!?
Yup. I think you'll find the Eli Manning story I posted further up interesting.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
There's a new rumor circulating: D'Qwell Jackson didn't turn the ball in.  Apparently, the officials became suspicious when somebody on the Colts actually caught a pass.

Mike

« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
There's a new rumor circulating: D'Qwell Jackson didn't turn the ball in.  Apparently, the officials became suspicious when somebody on the Colts actually caught a pass.

Mike

BOOM
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Mike
What happened to the MBunge account? :P

« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is gonna be a loooooong 11 days.  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
This is gonna be a loooooong 11 days.  :P
Yeah, Wetzel at Y!Sports loves it so much he already has 2 articles out within 10 hrs or so.

Pats talk, Every Team use's separate balls.
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This modern era of Sports Journalism is utterly pathetic, Every QB in the league has the balls exactly the way they prefer, WIlson was using Seahawks balls, and Brady the Patriots balls, It's just mastering the game of football.

The fact this is a story is garbage, the NFL will do ANYTHING to make more money, and gain exposure. Any advertising is good advertising.

« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
News update.

The Patriots ball boy was caught on tape. He was trying to put air back into the ball before the rest were seized. This explains the 12th ball.

« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2015, 02:06:44 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
News update.

The Patriots ball boy was caught on tape. He was trying to put air back into the ball before the rest were seized. This explains the 12th ball.
Source?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
News update.

Source?
The news, of course :P