Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596215 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Cool, so if you put 140degree or so air in them... 2lbs or so difference.  Is there a rule against use warm air to inflate a football?
Not really, the rulebook is pretty minimalistic when it comes to the football. It just prescribes dimensions and makes it illegal to tamper with the ball after the officiating crew has marked it as approved.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/5_2013_Ball.pdf

best part about this rule, the unit of measure articulated by the NFL:

The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case
(natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind.

13.5 pounds...per?  seems open to interpretation. 

was there a rule broken or is this a broken rule?

Wow this is a stretch.

"The ball shall be..."

There's your answer. 12.5 lbs to 13.5 lbs per.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Ok so we got Aaron Rogers admitting publicly that he intentionally overinflates the balls and we have two teams caught on tv.

Punish them. They cheated. They are the cheats.

40 lashes

Public flogging
That's it? That's all I get? Makes me sick.

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Actual Post-AFC Championship Video of the Indianapolis Colts Owner and CEO Jim Irsay's conversation with League Officials about deflated balls during the the game.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Actual Post-AFC Championship Video of the Indianapolis Colts Owner and CEO Jim Irsay's conversation with League Officials about deflated balls during the the game.

Mk

Source?   :P

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
My bad, got that info from a Pats fan. I knew I should never trust that evil breed of human  ;)
Never trust a fan without verifying the facts. The main reason why you should ignore Bleacher Report altogether.

I'm a Ravens fan who admittedly would love nothing more than to be able to say the Pats cheated in beating us a couple of Sundays back, so I don't know why I was so eager to regurgitate info coming from the enemy.
I think we should have one of these every year. It beats mulling over how in earth Andy Dalton made it to the Pro Bowl roster. It's ANDY FREAKIN' DALTON!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If the Patriots inflate the balls with hot air, then give the officials the balls to check and after playing in 40 degree weather the balls cool and the PSI goes down, is that cheating?

Why weren't the Colts affected, then?

Plus, from what I understand, weather probably wouldn't account for losing 2 PSI in a few hours.

I have some minor degree of the sympathy for the "everyone is doing it" argument.  I think the "this wasn't intentional" justification is silly, though.

IF THE PATRIOTS INFLATED THEIR BALLS WITH HOT AIR.  Maybe the Dolts used room temperature balls.  Maybe the Patriots inflate their balls to 10 1/2 psi room temp, stick them in the sauna until they get to 12 1/2 psi and then give them to the refs to check the PSI. 

What I am saying is, if you want an underinflated ball, simply pump it up with hot air, get it checked, then send it out into 40 degree weather.

If they used heated air or warmed the balls in a sauna, that would be cheating as well.

What's the problem with just playing by the rules?  The Pats were clearly the dominant team.

May have been against spirit of the rule, but I was not aware of NFL rule that the balls had to be filled with air at room temperature.  Any cite on this?

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Wow this is a stretch.

"The ball shall be..."

I think he meant that "13 1/2 pounds" is not the same as "13 1/2 pounds per sq inch". Or is it pounds per sq cm? Pounds per barn? Per rood? Per square rood?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Mk

stock footage

« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Mk

Actual footage of Belicheat in locker room before AFC semifinals vs. Baltimore:

And in AFC Finals vs. Indy:

« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Not to mention, why wouldn't you fill the kickers' ball with colder air while you're at it if that was the case?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
My bad, got that info from a Pats fan. I knew I should never trust that evil breed of human  ;)
Never trust a fan without verifying the facts. The main reason why you should ignore Bleacher Report altogether.

I'm a Ravens fan who admittedly would love nothing more than to be able to say the Pats cheated in beating us a couple of Sundays back, so I don't know why I was so eager to regurgitate info coming from the enemy.
I think we should have one of these every year. It beats mulling over how in earth Andy Dalton made it to the Pro Bowl roster. It's ANDY FREAKIN' DALTON!

Hah, you're telling me. I dislike the Bengals more than I dislike the Pats. Heck I dislike them more than I dislike the Steelers (who I can actually respect as a franchise). Andy Dalton is my least favorite player in the NFL.

Wow this is a stretch.

"The ball shall be..."

I think he meant that "13 1/2 pounds" is not the same as "13 1/2 pounds per sq inch".

Ah, this makes more sense, but still seems like a distraction from the primary issue. We know the NFL is an incompetent league. But that's far from the only thing at work here.

« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Mk

stock footage

I'm more curious how they took post-game video of a mid-game conversation.

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Not to mention, why wouldn't you fill the kickers' ball with colder air while you're at it if that was the case?
Balls for the kicking game come directly from the manufacturer and are handled by the refs, apparently. Teams have like 45 mins to work them in the presence of a member of the officiating crew.

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Mk

Actual footage of Belicheat in locker room before AFC semifinals vs. Baltimore:

And in AFC Finals vs. Indy:

Well who can blame him? Once you have several rings you just want more.

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Hah, you're telling me. I dislike the Bengals more than I dislike the Pats. Heck I dislike them more than I dislike the Steelers (who I can actually respect as a franchise). Andy Dalton is my least favorite player in the NFL.
I don't care much about the Bengals one way or the other -- just felt compelled to pitch in on this. The next time Dalton plays well in a game that matters will be his first.